PDA

View Full Version : CPL(H) to CPL(A)

Ewe Turn
11th Jul 2007, 19:39
Hi
I've not been doing much flying recently as I've been back in the land of my fore fathers (England) doing my ATPL(H) exams:ugh: I've done the interim exams which are the fixed wing ATPL exams minus the performance paper and with a PoF helicopter specific paper.

Anyway, I've managed to pass them all and now need to decide on what to do! It must be said at this point:I have crossed to the other side and have been doing some fixed wing flying. Only another 18 hours to go before I do my PPL (A).

Now I just need to convert my NZ CPL(H) to a JAA CPL(H). The CAA have said, and I have it in writing, that I just have to do hours as required by the head of training (and not the full 30 hour course) and sit and pass the flight test. Fine.

My question is this (and having shiny plastic CPL(H) licence in hand) :
If I then decide to go and do a fixed wing CPL what are the fixed wing hour requirements in order for me to obtain a fixed wing CPL(A)?

I've had a look in LASORS Part D and it seems to detail obtaining a CPL(H) as the holder of a CPL(A) but not the other way round. Can anyone please point me in the right direction or give me a breakdown of the hour requirement to get a CPL(A) as the holder of a CPL(H)? )I am aware I have to sit the PofF (A) and performance papers.)

Can you count your rotary time towards the PIC requirements ie 100 PIC and can you do the CPL course straight away?

The fixed wing job market seem quite lively at the moment and as I've just done my head in doing the ATPL exams I figure I may as well go the whole hog and get a fixed wing commercial, and IR and try and get a FO job.

Thanks in advance !

puntosaurus
11th Jul 2007, 20:14
Jer. 5:21 (King James version): "Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not.":ok:
D1.2(D) NOTES
The 200 hours flying experience may comprise flight
time in any of the following capacities:
• Pilot-in-Command/Solo (PIC), counted in full.
• Pilot-under-Instruction (Dual), counted in full.
The following credits will apply towards the total 200
hours of flight time and not the specific requirements of
(a)(i) and (ii), (b) or (c) above:
i. 30 hours as pilot-in-command holding a PPL(H)
on helicopters; or
ii. 100 hours as pilot-in-command holding a
CPL(H), or as a QSP(H), on helicopters; or
iii. 30 hours as pilot-in-command in touring motor
gliders or gliders (including Vigilant).

Bladecrack
11th Jul 2007, 20:26
The fixed wing job market seem quite lively at the moment and as I've just done my head in doing the ATPL exams I figure I may as well go the whole hog and get a fixed wing commercial, and IR and try and get a FO job.
I did a bit of research on this and if I was you I would get your CPL(A) and IR first, get a nice steady, well paid with holidays and pension airline job, then when you get bored of that you can break back in to the commercial helicopter world, you are very unlikely to get these sorts of benefits starting out in the heli world, (except N. Sea) and its much easier and cheaper to convert a FW IR to a rotary IR. :cool:
BC

noblades
11th Jul 2007, 22:01
Jer. 5:21 (King James version): "Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not.":ok:

Punt

Luv the quote. well done brother :D

Ewe Turn
11th Jul 2007, 22:27
Many thanks Puntosaurus. Great quote indeed. And point well taken:ok:
(In my defence: My brain is fried after 8 months of :mad:fixed wing ATPL studying :yuk:)
My hard copy of LASORS went (together with the CRAP 5 and Jepperson) to a budding Aussie pilot who has the same idea as me. The relevent page must have been ripped out !
I should have looked a bit harder on the interweb eh ?
Cheers

nuthin
13th Jul 2007, 03:43
In NZ at least you will need to do most of the syllabus for a CPL A

The 100 hr pic minimum is the biggest aspect to this.
Your XC time can be converted but you still need to do a XC flight test.

Depending on how thorough your XC training was a few hours will be needed as
FW navigate a bit different to RW.

Some schools mix both ways quite well , some do not.

I am 30 hours from finishing my CPL A but with 1500 hours now and
some better job prospects with helicopters.
I dont know if will use it much

helibee
13th Jul 2007, 09:06
its hard to let other people know that it seems a better option , had a gutts full of living in crap places eating god knows what sort of small animals just to get ahead.......... ahead to what? whats really out there when you get those 500 turbine hours and 100 hours on type , then some over protective :mad: tells you that you cant do the job because you only have 99 hours on type and not 100 , :mad: :mad: :mad:
the other day i got this story from a bloke , they were doing some training with another pilot who had the 500 turbine , they went through the upper red line in an auto stuffed the head on ec b4 , its a crock of :mad::ugh:
and it makes a right seat on a flying pie cart sound bloody great.

hay all the best , just get your head down and do your homework about the fixed wing side of things , and if you would be excepted comming from the dark side

eyes and ears fully open , just like a 22 on moss........

Finigin
13th Jul 2007, 12:09
After dialogue with CAA FCL and a number of training organisations I get a different answer to this question.
What is the best route to:
1. Convert CAA CPL(H) TO JAR CPL (H)?
2. What written exams do you have to do for a JAR CPL(A)?
If........
Completed all writtens for CPL (H) (including fixed wing e.g. Performance A, Principles of Flight (aeroplanes).
Hold CPL(H) - Multi (Sea King/S-61), single - Gazzelle/B-206
PPL (A), IMC - flying experience sufficient for modular course.
Some organisations tell me I have to do all 14 exams. The CAA tells me I need 'bridging' exams, but does not expand on what they are, as well as the fixed wing exams that I have already done. Other organisations tell me I should be given some form of credit after having sat all of the exams previously.
If someone can clarify this I would be extremely grateful.
Regards

Bladecrack
13th Jul 2007, 14:16
Finigin,

1. If you have a CAA CPL(H) and over 500 hrs (check experience requirements in LASORS) you can apply for a JAR CPL(H) on the appropriate form with the fee. (thats how I got mine)
2. Do you mean you did all the old CAA exams or the JAR ones? If it was the old CAA ones, once you get your JAR CPL(H) you can bridge JAR CPL(H) to JAR CPL(A) theory by doing:

(LASORS section J 1.9 Part 3)
a. Performance
b. Operational Procedures
c. Principles of flight (A)
d. the Composite Bridge Exam

With your fixed wing experience you should then be able to go straight onto the CPL(A) modular course.

Where do I do the approved bridging course before I do the exams? I hear you ask, as there are no courses listed..

I have asked this question already and found a willing training provider, suggest you speak to Roger at GTS in Bournemouth. :ok:

Tel - 01202580809
Email - [email protected]

Any problems PM me.
Good Luck,
BC.