PDA

View Full Version : Valedictory Letters - Oh sorry, here's a certificate instead

Melchett01
11th Jul 2007, 18:15
Heard today that the traditional valedictory letters that you get having put your arse on the line for Queen and country for how ever many years is being scrapped in favour of certificates.

Now given that my primary school used to dish out certificates for learning your multiplication tables and that my commissioning scroll was covered in dodgy printed signatures rather than the proper hand written ones, why do I get the feeling that this will turn into another disaster with dodgy printed certificates knocked up on MS Word (PPoint if you're lucky!) ?

Smacks as being the ultimate kick in the teeth for people leaving after many years service and no doubt will look so impressive as a reference for future employment. Or is it just that there are so many people leaving now and requiring these letters that the high paid help just don't have time to produce them any more? :*

Pontius Navigator
11th Jul 2007, 18:22
Heard today that the traditional valedictory letters that you get having put your arse on the line for Queen and country for how ever many years is being scrapped in favour of certificates.
Actually I think it is a great idea.

Gus Walker didn't write and congratulate me on joining and I just got a squiggle in my logbook on graduating.

At least I got a very nice letter from the Commandant of the Staff College on passing the ISS. I even got a very nice letter from a sqn ldr for an LG Groves entry.

As for my valedictory? I wrote it myself. I thought my boss was sort of OK until after I left and I emailed him in the Falklands, as requested. Zilch.
Now a framed certificate from Betty would be something I could hang, without embarrassment, on my I Love Me wall in the garage.

sangiovese.
11th Jul 2007, 18:38
I spent a good deal of time whilst I was a Sqn Flt Cdr in drafting them. It was the only bit of staff work that I actually enjoyed because I could ensure that my people got a proper thanks on leaving.

If all you now get is an addition to your cycling proficiency certificate for 16/22 years service then the RAF has finally become a joke. Or is it so short staffed that it can't be done?

Yeller_Gait
11th Jul 2007, 18:56
The email saying that as from 1 Sep 07 the valedictory letters are no longer required, to be replaced by certificates instead, circulated around here earlier this week.

Having read the email trail, from PA to Stn Cdr downwards through all the blunty PA's and admin staffs, I was disgusted to read them all saying how great it was that there was no more need to write these letters etc etc. As we have eased the workload on our scribblies can we now assume that at least a few of them will be leaned as there is not so much work for them to do now?

It just so happens that one of the guys in our office is due to leave later this year after 20 something years of service. Just last week his boss was writing his valedictory letter, agonising over it for ages. Now he has been told that he does not need to write it at all! I sincerely hope (and am sure that) he will still get his letter.

Yet another small piece of the RAF being eroded.

Y_G

Pontius Navigator
11th Jul 2007, 19:17
I would rather have had a watch and a thank you from the staish. At least he said thank you at the dining out but not everyone even gets that.

airborne_artist
11th Jul 2007, 19:50
My daughter got a certificate at Yeovilton yesterday, and she hasn't even joined yet. Four trips in the Dunker was all it took. And she's only just 16 :D

BEagle
11th Jul 2007, 20:02
Hope it's as nice as that f****** stupid 'Equal Opportunities Course' one I received.

Which will be framed in one of those 'my favourite hamster' pink fluffy frames used by little kids - or so I'm told.

Melchett01
11th Jul 2007, 20:39
A go in the dunker, some sh1tty EO course and 16 years service. What do they all have in common ..... I rest my case.

Next time I have to write a thank-you letter to some high paid help, think I will send a certificate instead. Maybe then they'll get the message.

Top West 50
11th Jul 2007, 20:55
A while after I had retired (1977) I wrote to enquire why I had not received a valedictory letter. The response was a grudging recognition of 34 years service from Staples/Stables/Prat (I never could remember his name he was so unconvincing). I'm a bit old now but I wish I could get back to help out - despite the bums rush on my exit!

rudekid
11th Jul 2007, 20:58
To echo the sentiments already expressed, these are a time consuming, thought provoking, difficult to write administrative burden. However, I have put as much effort into drafting these for my CO as I have for every report I've written.

I hope that they're continued and any Sqn Cdr worth his salt should continue to send these, regardless of the 'requirement'.

Incidentally, my Boss sends these to people who aren't technically 'entitled' to them when leaving (PVR, options etc) which I think is excellent work.

Come to think of it, can I swap my extra fitness test per year to spend a couple of hours writing valedictories?:E

Seldomfitforpurpose
11th Jul 2007, 21:07
Is this something us baldricks should be worried about :eek:

ZH875
11th Jul 2007, 21:36
SFFP, that depends if your boss thought anything of you. :rolleyes:

Blooming typical, I only recieved an email asking me if I wanted one just two weeks ago, dunno why I bothered to reply. :(

Oh well, not many days left to get shafted.:):):)

Blacksheep
12th Jul 2007, 00:35
In his concluding sentence my Boss wrote "His departure is a great loss to the Royal Air Force" Yeah, dead right. Spot on. :ok:
I can't see any dodgy, mass produced certificate saying things like that... :p

Samuel
12th Jul 2007, 02:06
The RNZAF, as might be expected, did many things, and still does probably, which were identical to those in the RAF, and one was that personal letter from CAS when you left...except in my case they had the name and rank wrong! Given the size of the RNZAF, total numbers of officers etc, let's face it, we all knew each other almost, I was mildy peeved to say the least! The CAS at the time was new, so I wrote back enclosing said document and I might have included some comments on Chief Executives only being as good as their underlings allowed them to be and that such errors as appeared in my letter were really quite unacceptable...:=

To his credit I got a very personal response, correctly addressed:D

scran
12th Jul 2007, 03:04
Recently left the RAAF after 32 years service.
Got an e-mail a few weeks before, asking me to confirm my service record (units etc) was correct for my Certificate of Service.
2 Days prior to departing was presented with same. Large certificate with Rank, name, number etc and a list of all the units I had ever served in, and personally signed by CAF (whom I know personally). Its quiet a good looking certificate.
Only issue was that it arrived unframed. The RAN Commodore I worked for in my last job thought this was quiet wrong, so ensured that said certificate was professionally framed (and paid for from his corporate funding I understand) and as he was away that day, arranged for a suitable senior officer from the RAAF to present it to me. Unfortunately Binny (another personal friend) was away that day as well.
It does look good on my "I love me" wall. :eek::eek:

(edited to correct spelling....)

Pontius Navigator
12th Jul 2007, 06:24
"His departure is a great loss to the Royal Air Force"

"Smith could be relied upon to identify issues that had escaped a less enquiring mind. His peers will miss him greatly as they do their work."

Moaning b:mad:r, without his constant whining and bickering we will get the work done in half the time.

:}

Tim Mills
12th Jul 2007, 08:37
All I got when I told Gp Capt Ops at 38 Group that I was leaving under one of the early Sqn Ldr redundancy schemes was 'Good idea, Tim'!

Chugalug2
12th Jul 2007, 09:14
Pontious Navigator wrote:
Gus Walker didn't write and congratulate me on joining

Now there was a true gentleman, PN! A colleague had the honour of flying him when he was Inspector General of the RAF. He would spend the time en-route being briefed by his hard working ADC, who had prepared a "rogues gallery" of those of any rank that had served under him before, that he was going to meet on arrival. Walking down the guard of honour, he would suddenly stop in front of an airman, "lot of water passed under the bridge since you used to drive me around Gibraltar, Smith!", or some such. Smith of course was suitably impressed, as were his colleagues. Old style man management. Anyone else remember it? He could also be b. minded, though always for a good reason. He attended a Guest Night at Cranwell while CinC FTC, I think. The guest of honour was a German Luftwaffe General, who had served in the same rank under Hitler. Gus ignored him all night, despite sitting next to him! For those who don't know, he lost an arm attempting to rescue colleagues from a crashed Lanc while Stn Cdr Syerston.

Wader2
12th Jul 2007, 09:44
Chug, he also, as AOC 25 Gp (I think) offered me a flight back in his helo from an inspection. My brief had been quite specific however, I was to RTU asap. To accept his offer I would have had to night stop with the AOC in Borrowdale.

To my continued chagrin and regret I followed orders and caught the train back. Apart from the Rate 1 for an overnight journey the AOC got back before me. :(

At least I learnt not to turn down offers in future.

Chugalug2
12th Jul 2007, 10:50
Looking at some valedictory comments here: http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Walker_G.htm
your example was only too typical of the man, Wader. Surely the sign of a true leader, he had a natural empathy with his subordinates and was ever mindful of their welfare. When one compares his like with the MOD apparatchiks that purport to have succeeded him, we are surely the poorer!

Blacksheep
12th Jul 2007, 12:21
"Smith could be relied upon to identify issues that had escaped a less enquiring mind. His peers will miss him greatly as they do their work."
Moaning b:mad:r, without his constant whining and bickering we will get the work done in half the time.
:}Yeah... :ok: or in my case "Now we'll never get back any of that stuff he had stashed in his garage." :E

buoy15
12th Jul 2007, 18:57
PN
I remember seeing a photo in the RAF News a long while past of AM Augustus Walker on the tee as President of the RAF Golf Association. I noted he only had one arm and I believe his handicap was in single figures - most impressive!
It's a story I relate to other golfers when handing over the money having just been beaten - takes away some of the pain
I believe he lost his right arm and was naturally right handed - probably why you didn't get a letter?

Pontius Navigator
12th Jul 2007, 19:46
why you didn't get a letter?

Oh, I got a letter. I wrote the bloody thing, that was I felt the hipocracy of the whole thing.

Now when my predecessor retired from the job I created a press release. I have known him on and off for about 15 years and picked up bits of background here and there and asked the odd pointed question. That was a surprise and he appreciated a press release rather more than a private letter.

An Teallach
12th Jul 2007, 20:28
Oddly enough, I was heavily involved in the writing of mine. I was the only scribbly on the stn and had to advise my CO what to do. It reads more like a promotion recommendation. It's just a minor pity that it starts: QR1021 Report! :}

BTG
13th Jul 2007, 07:48
I retired in June and received a letter in the following October saying that my AOC had only recently been made aware that I did not receive a Valedictory Lettr immediately on retirement. Needless to say I gave it a good ignoring.

I'm glad I cared for the guys that worked for me a lot better than my seniors cared for me.

threeputt
13th Jul 2007, 08:27
Back in 1974 or 5, I was a Vulcan Nav Rad and was at RAF Waddington at a combined 50/61 Sqn Dining-In night with Sir Gus as the senior guest.

Two things stand out from that night, firstly no matter how long it is since one has lost an arm, the brain still thinks it is still attached! I say that because Sir Gus was for ever waving his empty right sleeve at his old mates trying to attract their attention. Secondly, the love and affection that only a real leader of men can engender in his subordinates.

I was sat on the middle leg of the table and was surrounded by an ex-50 Sqn Lancaster crew (bar one who had recently passed away) whom between them had 5 DSO's, 10 DFC's and a couple of DFM's. As Sir Gus rose to his feet to give his after dinner speech they, along with all the other wartime aircrew there, rose to greet him with shouts and cheers that went on for at least two minutes. My new aquaintences had tears rolling down their cheeks when they sat down to listen to him. After his speech, a lot of the younger diners also had tears in their eyes, I know I did.
Truly he must have been one of the very greatest of our RAF leaders.

RIP Sir Gus :ok:

3P

teeteringhead
13th Jul 2007, 10:32
Got my wings from Sir Gus as I was on the penultimate course to graduate from Syerston (and so the last with a decent parade).

Lessons remembered from that day:

1. Get the briefing right #1 - all us studes were briefed to present left hand for shaking on receiving wings, but Sir Gus turned his left hand thumb down - his normal practice to shake people's right hand to avoid embarrassing them.

2. Get the briefing right #2 - the then young lady accommpanying one parked her handbag on her right arm expecting Sir G to shake left. After vigorous shaking of her hand by Sir, APO Teeters watches young lady's bag bounce down her arm and onto his!!

3. Keep to timings - Sir G's speech on the parade went on and on and on (but was great) - however, it meant that the JP 9-ship flypast came over on legal minima :rolleyes: and landed on the fumes.....

..... what a great bloke indeed....:ok:

Pontius Navigator
13th Jul 2007, 15:35
Well Melchett, jury seems out on the usefulness of certificates but there is a number that don't think too much of the letter!

Melchett01
13th Jul 2007, 16:08
Well Melchett, jury seems out on the usefulness of certificates but there is a number that don't think too much of the letter!

Well I don't suppose writing it myself and telling the Boss what to put will be much of a change from the current situation then. If it's all TFD, I'd gladly swap if for a decent watch and an evening with the Staish's daughter though:E Seems a fair exchange to me!

N Joe
13th Jul 2007, 18:07
Relieved to hear I'm not the only one with an "I Love Me" wall - although I didn't know that's what it was called until now.

Forget certificates etc, you can get £10 on eBay for the Veteran's Badge that you get from the discharge clerk!

N Joe

Pontius Navigator
13th Jul 2007, 18:25
Joe,

First I love Me wall that I saw was in the US in '65. I will name names.

It belonged to a Maj Harry Bendorf and it epitomised everything that was different between an American and an Englishman.

Can you imagine hanging a photograph of self plus Glenn Torpy "To Joe kindest regards, Glenn" and sundry others? Yes, he had one from CinC SAC and possibly politicians too.

I named him not because it was so long ago but that he was a great bloke actually not too different from Gus. He rose to become Inspector General of the Air Force.

Fitter2
13th Jul 2007, 21:50
I didn't get a letter or a certificate (in 1969). Did get an interview (with coffee) by the Staish.

Would I consider signing on for a further x years and get a pension, wonderful service, etc.:hmm:

Replied "Thank you Sir, but 9 years is probably sufficient to be told how to do my job by people who don't know how to do theirs".:rolleyes:

Interview terminated.

In Tor Wot
14th Jul 2007, 00:11
There's a group, recently established at Cranwell, to study ethos and core values and how they may be introduced or taught to OACTU(DIOT for the elderly) - noduf . . . . words defy me :ugh:

Next time you're being preached at by some starred pillock about the ethos and core values of the RAF you might like to raise this issue, along with promotion letters (now replaced by JPA workflow notification and perhaps an email) or the RAF list (JPA doesn't know who/where/how many are in the RAF).

It goes along the same lines as 'our most valuable assets are our personnel' drivel that is so beloved of those that wouldn't know leadership if they tripped over it.

Perhaps a little look at this kind of petty, couldn't give a toss about those that work for me/serve their country attitude might go some way towards explaining why we even need to study what our 'core values' are. :mad:

/Rant/

Wensleydale
14th Jul 2007, 17:31
I'd much rather have a Veterans' ID Card and status as enjoyed by the ex-US Military. But that's another thread...

endplay
14th Jul 2007, 19:57
In my last 7 years of service as a WO I wrote my own assesments 6 times and had only one written by my, then Wg Cdr, boss. I accept that my last years were a tad unusual but it brought home to me that there are times in your life when write ups matter and times that they don't. If the final eulogy was sincerley meant by a boss that knew you and meant what he/she said then it would be worth something. The current letter is formulaic, probably self written, and comes across as just that. By the time you leave the mob you will know in your own mind how good a job you've done and if you need a valid write up for a future career then write it yourself with a clearer idea of what you need to say to impress your future employer. Sign and date it with an old bosses name (cal him first if you suffer from a conscience) and get on with your life.

Mmmmnice
15th Jul 2007, 17:38
I've just read the bit about all the bits of paper I will receive when I leave; in my 'what happens when you leave' packup. Can't say that it fills me with joy - it would be nice to hang on to my watch (just about the only thing that has worked constantly - as well as the headover) As most of the other posters have mentioned there is probably little hope of the system making a decent stab at a summary of what one has contributed; unless it is very carefully briefed ie: do it yourself.

scran
16th Jul 2007, 06:19
N Joe - well, I don't have an entire wall :=.......just a small area "I Love Me" area :bored: ,(Staff College Grad Certificate, Certificate of Service, and my Commission Certificate if I ever find it.....:)) that also has a couple of interesting aircraft shots I've taken over the years.......:ok:

Pontius Navigator
16th Jul 2007, 06:34
Endplay, very true.

An ex-major now civil servant boasted that he had had a bonus every year and even an enhanced bonus. He had written his bonus recommendation every year. He hasn't said anything this year; his boss wrote it.

The Unknown Stuntman
10th Oct 2007, 15:17
Imagine the surprise and resignation of 'a mate', who, on returning from a brief period away from their desk was greeted by the news that they will no longer get a Valedictory Letter, but a Certificate instead.

'They' were also equally dismayed to be told that:- "The Valedictory Certificate could (should) be presented to retirees just before their departure, which will add status to the associated 'thank you' to the individual", to which 'they' responded with a resounding "B****cks it will, and if they think I'm coming back off resettlement for it, they can **** ***" (or words to that effect)

'They' also took great delight in red-penning the poor DW that was witnessed in said announcement.

Pontius Navigator
10th Oct 2007, 19:54
You may wish to see what has already been said on this matter.

From my POV as I wrote mine !!!!!!!!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=283628&highlight=valedictory+letters

Pontius Navigator
31st Oct 2007, 18:36
goudie, not sure of the relevance of Gus Walker to valedictory letters but you could start a new thread - Gus Walker. I am sure it would run and run.

nice castle
31st Oct 2007, 18:50
How about a nice focus working group to find out why our people feel undervalued? Let's drill down and take this forward.

Then again, maybe not.

Tigs2
31st Oct 2007, 19:10
I have not read the full thread, but after leaving, having served 20 odd years, i did not recieve a fecking thing!!! No letter, nothing!! Was i supposed to apply for it?? Serious enquirey, if any blunties are in the know, I would appreciate it.:ok: Thanks

Pontius Navigator
31st Oct 2007, 19:46
Tigs, your PSF should have pinged your chain of command and joed your sqn cdr or flt cdr to do the draft. It should then have winged its way back up the tree to the AOC.

Now in my case my sqn cdr anticipated the request and got me to provide the background for his draft. Remarkable letter from the AOC. If I hadn't written most of it myself I might have thought he meant it.

When you consider he was probably in primary school when I was on my first operation :)

goudie
31st Oct 2007, 19:56
Saw his name in a previous post on this thread. You're right, must be loads of excellent anecdotes about him

RETDPI
1st Nov 2007, 08:08
I finally baled out of the Service whilst on secondment. I of course thus ended up with all the relevant paperwork; including the nausea about the paragraph for fitting the AOC's (who?) valedictory letter etc. etc.
Filed in the 360deg cabinet.

South Bound
1st Nov 2007, 08:29
Tigs

not sure how many years 20-odd is, but I am sure that VLs were for people completing 22 years+. If you just fell the wrong side you would not have received one.

IMHO only some of them were worth the paper they were written on. If you had a boss that knew you and knew of your past, then he would be able to write something meaningful. If you had a new boss, or had not been long in your last post, the system expected that boss to cobble something together from the briefest of summaries provided from Handbrake House.

While nice to get something, I always questioned the value of certain VLs, thinking they should have come from PMA rathr than being drafted by flt cdr because they had access to all an individual's records and had a comprehensive picture of service. Might suggest it to ACOS Manning now they have so much spare capacity.

DICKYMINT
1st Nov 2007, 12:29
On detachment to USA several years ago the Warrant Sar diver on an american squadron retired after 30 years. Presented with Stars and Stripes that had been flown over the White House, letter of commendation from George W, letter of thanks to his parents from state governor, medals and SAR divers knife mounted and framed, kept his ID card, entitled to carry on using all base facilities, and married quarters.

Beats the poop out of a letter

bayete
1st Nov 2007, 16:59
I got a Veterans Lapel Pin when I handed my clearing card into the Termination clerk.
Not a bad reward for the 8hrs it had taken me to trudge backwards and forwards around the station getting signatures from places I didn't even know existed and from people who didn't evan check or cross off any records against my name! :ugh:

c130jbloke
1st Nov 2007, 17:35
Lot easier to just sign them yourself !!!!

bayete
1st Nov 2007, 17:43
Integrity dear chap.
..but I know where you are comming from, needed various shades of biro and a good left handed sig:}

Edited to say: I believe at some Stns it can be done online with 1 form, but not at a certain secret Witshire base.

will fly for food 06
1st Nov 2007, 19:24
Is there a backlog on these certificates? Its been nearly a year since i left and i havent received anything like that.:uhoh:

Pontius Navigator
1st Nov 2007, 19:55
will fly, no they are new. This means you are waiting for nothing and nothing, after a year, is what you should expect.

will fly for food 06
2nd Nov 2007, 23:15
thanks, i thought so:uhoh:

Adam Nams
3rd Nov 2007, 09:19
Just for balance………..

I received my Valedictory Certificate and letter, both signed by the Chief of the Air Staff, exactly one week after my leaving date.

Gratuity payment hit the bank on the same day – which one do you think was more welcome/useful? :ok:

I guess Sir Glenn has to get to the office a little earlier in the day if he is signing for everyone who is leaving (and yes I did check.........not done by machine).

lampeterexile
3rd Nov 2007, 21:53
Got my certificate and letter last week after 27 years service. Took me 27 seconds to put it through the shredder:ok:

Pontius Navigator
3rd Nov 2007, 22:14
I am doing genealogical research on my forebears. It is amazing some of the documents that emerge. Many, at the time, no doubt trivial. One piece was my grandfather's handwritten notes of when he was up country in Tibet and when he was back in Calcutta. Fascinating stuff and a regular cycle. Seems about 9 months after each detachment ended my grandmother had a child.

What I am trying to say is that your ancestors might hold such trivia as a valedictory letter as very important.

atclfc
4th Nov 2007, 03:59
I left in Feb this year and after 9 months plus THREE letters to Stn Cdr at last base (third letter threatening further letter to AOC and RAF News) I have received an apology from OC PMS "explaining" why I never received my valedictory. Apparently it got lost during the move from Innsworth to Wycombe. Should be on its way but not holding my breath and I have to say it did make me feel quite sleazy having to "beg" for it (the valedictory, you wannabe Frankie Howards.) Oh, and in reply to one luckier threader, final pay went in late, gratuity and pension were wrong and initially didn't get much help from JPA Helpdesk. Sorted in the end but after 24 years service it has all left a rather bad taste.

4mastacker
4th Nov 2007, 07:09
I received my valedictory letter about a week after I became Mr. Nice letter, posh paper, signed by a human not a rubber stamp. B:mad:ers didn't put a postage stamp on the envelope though, so I had to pay the excess and collect it from the local sorting office!!

cazatou
4th Nov 2007, 09:26
I left in the '96 redundancy scheme. The morning Post on the day after my last day of service brought personally signed letters from AOC 1 Gp and the Air Secretary.

It can be done if the will is there to do it.

Bertie Thruster
4th Nov 2007, 09:52
After 24 years, I tried to leave in the '96 RAF redundancy scheme. No luck there with my desk officer.:ugh: Or with the following appeal to my OC (my desk officer, just promoted in!):\

So I PVR'd in '97.

Still waiting for a letter!:(

It isn't done if there's no will to do it! :ok:

BeefyBoy
5th Nov 2007, 04:34
C130JBloke Quote - "Lot easier to just sign them yourself !!!!"

Strangely, thats what I did when I left Lyneham in 1988 for a tour on promotion at HQSTC. Was posted back in 1992 and got some strange looks at some of the sections that I had to arrive at - wanted to know why I was there as I had never left! :confused:

Should have signed myself back onto the camp. :}

buttrick
2nd Sep 2023, 07:26
I got a personal valedictory letter from AVM Jock Stirrup who was Air Officer Commanding (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Officer_Commanding) No. 1 Group (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._1_Group_RAF) at the time. Is this unusual.? I thought so, having been a less than spectacular career Corporal, (though I was involved in some dodgy stuff, at times)

Ninthace
2nd Sep 2023, 09:22
Left in 2005 after 25 years service, having achieved a reasonable rank and made a minor contribution or two on the way. All I got was a computer print out of my service record.

Barksdale Boy
2nd Sep 2023, 12:49
In 1982 I got a charming, hand-written letter from Mike Knight, AOC 1 Group at the time. Still have it.

MPN11
2nd Sep 2023, 17:00
I got a few letters when I left. One was the SOP from AOC, the others were from Secondary Duties which meant much more.
Got a shiny Veteran's Badge and nice Pension too!

Slow Biker
4th Sep 2023, 13:04
Served 35 years. No valedictory letter, no certificate. No regrets.

minigundiplomat
4th Sep 2023, 13:16
Is this something us baldricks should be worried about :eek:

No. We'll still get a certificate (maybe) and a clearance chit, just like the old days.