PDA

View Full Version : Flying School in Germany

Philpaz
11th Jul 2007, 16:35
I'm doing my PPL in the UK but work in Germany mon-fri, Anyone know of a good english speaking flying school in the Bielefeld area where i can get some hours in?

Thanks,

Phil

Tiger_mate
11th Jul 2007, 17:45
In my experience, the German Aviators of this world speak better (academic) english then I do. There are flying schools at Bielefeld and Paderborn/Lipstadt.
Even the website is in English:
Flugplatz-Bielefeld (http://www.flugplatz-bielefeld.de/index.php?id=17&L=1)

Paderborn Flight Training (http://www.airport-paderborn.com/index.php?cat_id=3038&mySID=67f41f9f4bc2d4e7d231c6f9896de408&myELEMENT=Flugschulen&menu_cat=3165)

Philpaz
11th Jul 2007, 18:39
The airport sites are in English, the associated flying schools sites are sadly in German (but then they are in Germany so i cant complain). However i did get the phone numbers so cheers.

Phil

Flying Microphone
16th Jul 2007, 16:17
Hiya Philpaz
Bielefeld Flying Club is a fantastic little flying club. I flew from there for 3 years whilst working in nearby Herford.
There are two ex-RAF guys who do all the maintenance (Tony & Martin... top blokes who will help smooth your way in if needed).
The club aircraft are exceptional and very well maintained. They are clean and well equipped. The main hanger uses an awesome aircraft turntable platter system... basically you book out your aircraft then go to the hanger, enter the parkplatz number for your aircraft which then magically spins to the front of the platter allowing you to simply pull it forward and go flying.
Wolfgang and Barbara used to (and probably still do) run the flying club, are very friendly and speak great English.
The website (as has been mentioned) is in both English and German... you can check the minute-by-minute wx before you leave for the club.
There are loads of places to fly to... the nearest of interest being the Mohne Damn which is about 25 minutes away!
They hold an annual Flying open day which attracts many interesting aircraft including a number from the UK.
The club also boasts a great bar and restaurant onsite.
I was told that flying could be expensive in Germany, but didn't find it to be horrendously so. Infact, when the Euro was introduced and every other bugger took the chance to sneak their prices up a few DM's, Flugplatz-Bielefeld didn't... they sent out a letter to all members saying exactly what the exchange rate would be to the nearest cent and didn't increase prices at all.
They also operate a cheap extra insurance idea... Basically you pay around 100 Euro to be a member. Then, should anyone at the club have a minor prang which costs less than the insurance excess to pay, it gets paid from this fund. Everyone then puts in another 100 Euro to cover the next period. This has two advantages... firstly, you don't have to find the insurance excess yourself should you for example, push a wing into the hanger door as you get the aircraft out (they are ALL hangered!). Secondly and most importantly, it means everyone looks out for everyone else... nobody wants to have to stump up another hundred bucks cos of someone elses (avoidable) mistake. In the 3 years plus that I flew from the club, there was never a claim made on this excess cover, but it was good to know that it was there and did mean we all looked out for each other.
All in all, you're in for a treat... fill yer boots and enjoy!
Happy flying
Chris
ps, all the major airports you fly near will happily speak English as will many (though not all) of the small airstrips. I always used to make advisory calls to a small grass airstrip you fly past on the way to the Mohne damn. After 6 or 7 times of doing this, the controller asked why I was doing so (it's not that common in Germany). I explained and he then asked me to land and join him and the team for a coffee... just to pass the time and have a chat!