PDA

View Full Version : Advice/criticisms on PPL plan...

Kerosine
10th Jul 2007, 14:31
I'm looking to get my PPL before I go to Uni. Now due to time and money constraints I will not be getting ME/Complex ratings and will also be remaining within UK airspace, hence making the NPPL sound like a better deal.

I plan to go to SA (Algoa) to get 30-ish hours in 3 weeks before coming back to the UK to finish off a few hours to adjust for UK airspace and weather.

I plan to get as many exams done before I go (definately Air Law) and also get a medical done prior.

Before I book all my flights and confirm when I'm going, is there anything else I will need? Can anyone spot any obvious pitfalls?

Thanks in advance

PompeyPaul
10th Jul 2007, 14:36
...you may be minted but university is an expensive business. Will you be able to afford the student lifestyle as well as keeping current ?

It would be better to get your degree, come out debit free, and then do the PPL when you are earning money and can afford to keep current.

That is all based, on not knowing your own circumstances as well as you do :O

Kerosine
10th Jul 2007, 15:00
I've thought long and hard about that, and in 5 years I probably won't be worse off for not doing my PPL prior to uni. However I have to live with the prospect of not flying for 4 years is not possible!

Even if I don't fly whilst at Uni, I can sleep comfortably knowing I've done it at least for a short while!

Any advice on the NPPL though?

skyfiend
10th Jul 2007, 15:03
I was in a similar situation to yourself. Went to 43 Air School in SA to get my license pre-uni.

However, in my first year at uni, I only managed 5 hours and the second year, 3...

A couple of years in the big bad world and I can afford to fly again... but as others have hinted, unless you're minted the dreams of flying your mates around etc simply don't materialise.

HTH

charliegolf
10th Jul 2007, 15:16
Kero

I went from microlight NPPL to SSEA (sep in old money). It suits my purpose- bimbling around when i can afford it. If going abroad, flying in the dark (a mug's game!) or doing the IMC thing ever gets important enough, all I'll need is money, a medical, some hours and a test oe two.

Some on here have said it's a waste of time. I don't see why.

CG

Kerosine
10th Jul 2007, 15:23
Well for the next year I will be, working my bum off with £150 a month for rent/phone (parents are great:ok:), with the rest being funnelled into flying. After that I'll just have the memories to keep me going :sad:

edited
Cheers CharlieGolf, glad to know I'm not alone out there!

CapCon
10th Jul 2007, 15:29
Hi Kerosine,

As PompeyPaul said, only you can decide whether you can fund your PPL before uni.

As for getting the NPPL or a JAA PPL, I would personally recommend going for the full licence as the NPPL is too restricting. I've just reached the 100 hour mark and my best memory apart from my skills test was my first flight across the water to the Netherlands, followed closely by a trip down to Germany! As you gain experience, you will probably want to start exploring further afield, which you might find difficult with the NPPL.

You say that you won't be getting ME/Complex ratings due to money/time etc. What happens if you find a well paid job after uni, build up your flight time and find yourself wanting to add further endorsements to your licence? You would then have to upgrade your NPPL to the full licence so why not get the full PPL in the first place?

You obviously enjoy flying but you have to think long term. What are your aviation plans? If you are sure that you will be happy flying within UK airspace, daytime VFR then go for the NPPL. If you find yourself wanting to progress then you can convert your licence at a later date.

If, however, you can see yourself getting further ratings/endorsements at a later date, when you do have funds then go for the full JAA PPL. Don't forget that if you're starting from scratch and aim to fly on a monthly basis then it could take 5 years+ for you to build up the experience and confidence to get the multi engine for example.

Enough rambling, hope something was useful :ok:

Cheers,

CapCon

Kerosine
10th Jul 2007, 15:55
Thanks Capcon,

Yeah points taken there, but ultimately money is precious now, and the chances are when I come out of uni I'll be going as far as possible (CPL/IR) before jumping into ATPLs, so I'll upgrade it for then.

I don't see logic in spending an extra £1500 now when I won't need to use the extra benefits (adding ratings) for another 4 years. Even if I have to pay £2000 in 4 years to upgrade I'll be ok with that.

I would rather have an extra 20 hours flying round the UK than be able to go across to Europe, bearing in mind I only have a year, I can't afford to want to see the swiss alps/Netherlands etc, even though it would be nice, I need to lave some things for later on :(

Cheers

172driver
10th Jul 2007, 16:08
You could of course also go to the US, get an FAA ticket, which allows you to fly G-reg anyway and in a few years' time (post-uni ?) convert to JAR (or EASA, as it will then be). A lot cheaper, you - IMHO - learn more (night, radio nav, etc) and doesn't restrict you as much as an NPPL.

Slopey
10th Jul 2007, 16:10
Just for future reference, if you're going CPL/IR after Uni - do the ATPL before that rather than the CPL exams - might as well get them all out the way then CPL/IR afterwards. No point doing the CPL ones if you're going ATPL anyway.

If you're seriously planning not to fly for the next 3-4 years - I personally (and that's the important bit), would'nt do the licence now. Save up - put the money in a high interest account, and do it when you're ready to.

Getting a licence now and not using it for 4 years will be disheartening and you'll be out of pratice when you do start again.

Even without Uni/money issues, plenty PPLs (me included) find it hard enough to even stay current due to the weather (not least aircraft availability) - if you're going to be renting, you'll be continually being checked out by a club as you'll be non-current - having that instructor in the RHS all the time will add to the cost and reduce what you *can* fly even more!

You'll never be able to take mates up unless you get your 3 landings in 90 days in which itself can be a challenge, and you'll need to be current to club rules also which are usually much stricter (like 30 days).

To be perfectly honest, getting a licence and flying a handful of times a year is pointless - you'll have an instructor with you probably anyway, so why not just do lessons every couple of months/month - still goes in the log book, no expensive licence to get/maintain etc, and you can start in earnest piling in the hours for completion once you've graduated while doing *useful* flying during your degree. (Don't underestimate the need for useful flying - post PPL bimbling around the local area gets very old, very quick, but you won't be able to go anywhere unless you're current, can afford it, and have the time!).

But that's my personal opinion - up to you. :) Whatever you do - enjoy it!

stickandrudderman
10th Jul 2007, 18:47
Unless you can afford to stay current, which sounds doubtful, wouldn't you be better off making friends at the local flying club and just hitching rides for fun until after Uni?
It won't really matter that you're not P1, you'll still be gaining invaluable experience which will should help to minimise the cost when it comes to taking the course (whichever one you choose) later.
A regular visit to the spare seats available thread should provide you with a few contacts.
Good luck.

Blinkz
10th Jul 2007, 19:19
I would leave the PPL until after uni. What uni are u going too? Most of them have active gliding clubs. I spent most of my time at uni gliding, nice and cheap too :ok: great social scene too

Humaround
11th Jul 2007, 08:55
Agree with all the above about student lifestyles and flying cash. Also gliding is great, it's real flying and as a student it will be about as cheap as flying gets. (If you have to pay full gliding club membership later, and rent a club glider it's actually as expensive as operating a share of a PFA type, or microlight)

Re: PPL vs NPPL, you are probably thinking you'll save loads because of the slightly fewer minimum hours to gain the licence.

Unless you have a lot of flying experience already, I'd suggest you're unlikely to complete an NPPL in many less hours than a full PPL - you have to reach the standard in both cases, and there's little difference. Not many people gain either licence from scratch in the minimum hours. The ground exams are the same.

I seriously doubt if you would actually save much at all, and the NPPL is, as stated above, considerably less useful (at least at the moment).

172driver
11th Jul 2007, 10:52
Look, Kerosine, I was in a somewhat similar position many years ago. It took me ages after uni to do my ticket:(

I say - if you want to fly, go for it !! In fact, if you think you might not be flying for a while, I'd go the FAA route, as an FAA ticket is valid for life - you need to do your BFR (Flight Review) and of course hold a valid medical to exercise your privileges, but you don't have the JAA requirements hanging over your head.