PDA

View Full Version : headset question 747-400

dolfdenkens
9th Jul 2007, 19:44
Hello there,
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but here goes:

What noise reducing headset (if any) are people using on the 747-400 or are there other options.

Thanks a lot!!

Dolf

Fly3
10th Jul 2007, 01:50
I don't think I would bother getting one. You will only be wearing it for short periods in climb and descent and now that CPDLC has replaced HF comms in the main it's not easy to justify the expense.

hamil
10th Jul 2007, 02:51
Telex Airman 850.
Better than 750 and perfect to understand those ATC controllers in Ashgabat, Simferopol, Turkmenbashi and everywhere in India and China as well. But it does not work in JFK :E...

CR2
10th Jul 2007, 20:58
BI...

Wanted to stay out of it... but agree.

And get earplugs for the bunks - thats the noisiest bit of all.

:cool:

Manual Reversion
10th Jul 2007, 21:20
No particular axe to grind, but the company use Sennheiser noise cancelling headsets, I have bought a Telex 850 and there is no comparison......been using it for 18 months and now tend to keep it on both ears in the cruise....just watch out when putting your own headset on after crew rest as the other headsets are cranked up to max volume and you barely need to crack the volume button with the Telex.
For what it's worth, I got mine sent to my mailbox in MCO from Marv Golden

ray cosmic
11th Jul 2007, 05:18
I as well have the Sennheiser HMEC25. Still had them from the turboprop days, so didn't look for the new stuff on the market.
I must say you can't compare the open and the closed Sennheiser, so if you can, try for yourself.
On a sidenote, you might want to check with your Avionics guys if your headset is suitable for the audiosystem. In another airline I know of, they had lots of damage to the system because people were using a whole different scala of equipment.

Another new product is this one:
http://www.terma.com/index.dsp?page=168#

Not cheap, but really, really cool.

dolfdenkens
11th Jul 2007, 16:56
do you guys think the Lightspeed Mach 1 could be a good one for use in the 747?
It's just that right now I can still get a discount at sennheiser or do you get discount somewhere with Cargolux also.

Thanks a lot guys!!!!

hope to fly with you soon.

Dolf

BelArgUSA
11th Jul 2007, 19:11
Hi Dolf -
xxx
For me, is a simple "Plantronics" headset -
"Stick it in your ear" - selling maybe for US$ 50.oo...
Had that thing for my entire career, since 1969.
Weighs less than 50 grams, mike included.
xxx
No need to make my flight case any heavier to carry.
Besides, need room in there for my duty-free bottles.
And I do not like messing-up my hairdo.
xxx
Good luck with Cargolux - Excellent company.
Had a 6 months career with them flying their 200s in 1992.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

ray cosmic
17th Jul 2007, 19:43
Lightspeed doesn't look bad from behind the computer; But what does this have to do with Sennheiser?

NSEU
18th Jul 2007, 10:09
"In my opinion those headsets are poor and I've bought my own Sennheiser HMEC25 ANR (closed cup). The difference to the open cup is day and night and it's comfortable enough even on long sectors."

Our airline's flight crews use these, too (Or a variation thereof... HMEC25BAQ).

"You will only be wearing it for short periods in climb and descent..."

I was under the impression that cruise was the noisiest part of the flight on the 744, due to wind noise at high mach numbers???

A while back, there was a problem hearing TCAS alerts with the headsets on and the crews had to keep one earcup off until a certain altitude. Unfortunately this induced some kind of vertigo. Not sure what the outcome of that was.

Rgds.
NSEU.