PDA

View Full Version : job sites

Davidils20l
20th Feb 2002, 02:28
Are there any web sites (E.G. Findapilot), but for africa. Know its a long shot, and that most times its a case of travel the country and see what you find, but just to get a genrall idea of whats out there and whats required.

Thanks

jetjackel
21st Feb 2002, 15:37
Try Pilotpointer.com

Good Luck

Jetjackel

ipanema
21st Feb 2002, 19:25
Sorry about the negative, but I'd like to save you wasting your time...

Dunno about the rest of you folks, but unless you have a JAR licence an area to stay away from would be the UK headhunters, including Wynnwith.

I have 13,000 multi total with 7,000 turbine on an ICAO licence with Twin Otter P1 and Dash-8 P2, and am yet to get a single interview through any of the UK services.

Despite having my full and detailed resume, one of them insisted on calling me long distance just to talk to me. What a waste of time and money - is it possible he thought I'm just a figment of someone's imagination?

If anyone knows of a UK service that actually does the tiniest fraction of any work to get its non-European clients jobs I'd like to hear about it, but as far as I am concerned the Brit agencies are a flock of fabulous w@nkers, and that's all they are.

[ 21 February 2002: Message edited by: ipanema ]</p>

jetjackel
21st Feb 2002, 21:31
Sorry to hear that. As a contract MD80 Captain for the past 7 years I have had very good luck with the contractors. NATCO/Strongfield/Direct Personel Int./Brookfield/ARS Int./ACASS. Seem straight forward and pay ontime. Depends on how qualified and how much they need you...what else is new.

BadAndy
22nd Feb 2002, 02:08
ipanema,

I have to agree with you 100% about UK leasing companies. There are two leasing companies (one in UK, one in Paris) that screwed me royally. I had a good job as a Captain on an EMB-145 in the US, when one of these companies called me with an offer to fly in Africa. I went through the hoops, got an un-revocable Leave of Absence (minimum 1 year) from my US airline, and got set to leave, all in about a week. Then they called me and said "wait a few days, we're having some problems," the entire time assuring me everything was going to work out. Then one day they quit calling me and quit returning my phone calls. I still haven't heard from them. Enter the French company. They actually sent me a contract. Again, same thing. Hurry up and wait. Eventually they called me and said, "sorry, we no longer have a position for you." (At least they had the descency to call me...) They, too, will not return my calls or help me find work. Now I'm sure I will get flamed on here for being upset and for giving up a perfectly good flying job for a contract, and yes, I accept that it is my own fault. However, had the lying b@stards in the UK been honest with me in the beginning, I would still have a job, an income, and some sort of a life. I would have waited to take my Leave until I had cash in hand from the new job. Instead I am broke and unemployed, with no good prospects on the horizon. Thanks a lot.... I have, however, learned one thing, never trust Contractair. They will make all kinds of promises and guaruntees, then leave you on your own, without so much as the curteosy of an apology. A$$holes... To top it off, they cost me approximately $200 (US) in phone calls trying to get ahold of them. Again, as ipanema said, if you aren't British, don't count on most of them for any kind of help...