PDA

View Full Version : Sun Air

MMestdagh
18th Feb 2002, 19:13
Hi,

Looking for info on Sun Air. Heard a rumour it's ****ed..?? If not who do I need to contact there regarding application as pilot?

Cheers, MM

4HolerPoler
19th Feb 2002, 01:41
Long gone Bubba.

Sadly, nuff said.

4HolerPoler

4HolerPoler
19th Feb 2002, 12:09
Sorry guys - red face for me - I'm told that the Phoenix is rising again - best wishes and would appreciate any gen that anyone can provide.

tedstriker
19th Feb 2002, 14:38
A NEW Sun Air is opening soon at a theatre near you.. .They'll be operating scheduled flights to Cape Town from Lanseria Airport - something to do with King Air Services & AirQuarius but don't know the details.. .Anyone out there in the know?

Sir Cumference
19th Feb 2002, 17:11
The old Lanseria Post Office now has large Sun Air Boards up. The logo looks similar however it is now in red (Omen?) Airquarius have been operating an F28 on contract and surely this will be the proposed machine for this venture. I can hardly imagine someone paying good SA fun vouchers to sit on a Hawker Slowly Lanseria to CT!!

planecrazi
19th Feb 2002, 20:47
I have just received my timely arrival of the Dec 2001 issue of Flying and Business (SA Flyer) today and on page 4 there is a bit on the new Sun Air. It claims "twice daily, six times per week to Cape Town" offering 84 Business Class seats and rumour has it that it will use DC9's.

The Claw
19th Feb 2002, 22:49
I believe that Millionair is behind it, and yes, DC-9's will be used.

Good luck!

The Claw
20th Feb 2002, 12:18
Can now confirm that aircraft and crew are from Millionair. Sun Air will launch flights on the 18 March, using 76 seater DC-9-32's. Flying two daily flights, six times a week from Lanseria to Cape Town. A return ticket will cost around ZAR2999.

Hi Lift
20th Feb 2002, 13:54
Some info on them too at: <a href="http://www.sunair.co.za" target="_blank">www.sunair.co.za</a>

tedstriker
20th Feb 2002, 14:05
It appears that the DC9's are configured for business class only.. .Will be interesting to see how Sun Air competes with the Voyager scheme...

Gunship
23rd May 2003, 19:12
While searching for an answer for Dew Point on Millionair I came to this thread.

How is Sun Air doing with the "Business - Class - ONLY " Flights ?

Love the advert "See how the other half is flying .." :p

BAKELA
23rd May 2003, 19:41
Lo Guns,

From what I hear it seems like they're doing okay. Reading the thread on the Sun Air emergency we have pax figures of 55/72 which is higher than a 75% load factor - all business class and a few cheap seats I suppose - thus it looks like it's working. :ok:

I have heard there was a complete change of shareholding recently (don't want to elaborate on the rumoured reasons) and Airquarius/King Air Services is no longer involved. I think that Millionair is out of it as well (financially) but am not too sure.

:rolleyes: Oh yes, well done and nice example Guns. Amazing how well the search function on PPruNe works if you use it.;)

The Claw
23rd May 2003, 23:57
It worries me that Millionair have sold their shares due to the costs involved with Sun Air !? Anybody got anymore gen on this?

Jangys
26th May 2003, 14:29
Million Air wrote off 20 million due to losses on Sunair. Bought all shares from other shareholder Air Quarius, they apparently did not stick to their end of the deal.

Loss control company CIRC bought 90% of Sunair. 10% still belongs to Million Air.

CIRC bought Sunair for R10.00.

Wonder if Million Air is in trouble after creating such a big loss for themselves.

Gunship
26th May 2003, 15:24
I sincerely wished SUNAIR would have "worked" the second time around.

So Million Air is not Million Air any more ?

Is this the MAC that Dew Point was talking about ?

Jangys
27th May 2003, 19:33
Gunns,

I believe MAC is abbrev. for Million Air Charter. Maybe Dewpoint can shed some light.

They still do their thing on the charter side. Read in the paper that they have a 2 year contract with Sunair to supply AMCI lease.

I Believe they are still leasing to Ghana scareways as well. I saw their B727 departing JNB yesterday. Could be another lease, maybe...

:ok:

Gunship
28th May 2003, 06:31
Lo Jangys ..

Yes thanks that might be it .. Dew Point I am sure will know better.

As Dew Point also said - Millionair is still flying the West Africa route with Ghana Scareways.

I saw them sometime .. last week I think ?