PDA

View Full Version : Is there an airstrip on Iona?

Humaround
7th Jul 2007, 20:45
Well, is there? My road atlas shows a little red aeroplane, but I can't find it in the VFR guide...

Otherwise I guess its Glenforsa then by road/ferry?

Thanks

helicopter-redeye
8th Jul 2007, 08:22
I've never seen an airfield there but there is common land on the West side of the island that you could land a rotary on (nice and flat, smooth grass) but you would need serious STOL perf on FW. If from Glenforsa then both David H (airfield) and Alison W (hotel) do car hire which gets you to the ferry point for Iona, then CalMac for the 10 minute crossing.

h-r;)

'India-Mike
8th Jul 2007, 10:13
Not wishing to hijack the thread, but if you're interested in strips in that neck of the woods (and not just Iona) then there's supposedly one on Oronsay just south of Colonsay. There's certainly one marked on my OS map, and the bird-spotters refer to 'the airstrip' when posting sightings of rare birds. It's also mentioned in Iain Hutchison's book 'Air Ambulance'. Perhaps some of the former Loganair Islander pilots would know about its condition.

I flew over Oronsay a couple of weeks ago and couldn't see anything that even looked suitable to land on, never mind an obvious airstrip.

helicopter-redeye
8th Jul 2007, 10:35
Do you have a 6 fig GR for the Oronsay airstrip? I can't see anything on a current 1:25,000.

There is a 'landing strip' in Colonsay which is now tarmac.

'India-Mike
8th Jul 2007, 10:58
H-R

NR355883. Landranger series no. 61 1:50000. It's marked to the west of a cottage called Seal Cottage. Was on my way into the new strip on Colonsay at the time at about 800', and still couldn't see any obvious signs of a strip.

helicopter-redeye
8th Jul 2007, 13:38
The latest 1:25,000 has a 1/2 cm high blue Corncrake standing at that exact spot. I don't recall there ever being a strip there but obviously the Colonsay old strip has been there some time.

I'll be on Colonsay for a week in August so will 'report back' having had a look on the ground (unless the giant blue bird gets me).

h-r:eek:

'India-Mike
8th Jul 2007, 13:48
Photos appreciated, if you can.

Hutchison's book refers to Oronsay twice - once post-WW2, when Capt Barclay used a Dragon for famil flights for ambulance pilots; and then again 16 June 1967, when Loganair's first ever air ambulance service was by Aztec from Oronsay to Glasgow.

Must have been a reasonable strip at some point....

Humaround
8th Jul 2007, 15:03
No problem getting additional info on this thread, I might well be tempted to visit other islands. Just curious that our road atlas shows an airfield to the east of Iona, but no info that I can find on the web or VFR guide.

To widen it further, has anyone visited the Orkneys?

contrail
8th Jul 2007, 19:08
Humaround........
Yes, Ive done every strip there. Shetlands too (Plus strips not marked on Charts). What do you need to know about them?

JW411
8th Jul 2007, 19:21
Gentlemen, it is not "The Orkneys" or "The Shetlands".

It is simply Orkney or Shetland.

Basil Smallpiece
8th Jul 2007, 19:37
India-Mike - photos taken 2 weeks ago of Oronsay Farm and the old landing strip:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/scalesoarer/IMGP9134.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/scalesoarer/IMGP9133.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/scalesoarer/IMGP9127.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/scalesoarer/IMGP9125.jpg

'India-Mike
8th Jul 2007, 19:48
Basil

Many thanks. As I remember it - not obvious at all! Does it run E/W through the gap in the dyke wall at the western beach?

Basil Smallpiece
8th Jul 2007, 19:55
I think closer to the farm than shown on the OS map...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/scalesoarer/IMGP8895.jpg

Humaround
9th Jul 2007, 16:03
Contrail opined...
"Humaround........
Yes, Ive done every strip there. Shetlands too (Plus strips not marked on Charts). What do you need to know about them?"

I am vaguely planning a highlands and islands jaunt (don't worry, the planning will eventually morph from vague to sketchy) and would like to visit my uncle David's resting place in ORKNEY (he was killed at Scapa Flow in 1940 aged 19) and wondered about best airfield there?

We will travel by RV6 so flexible for landing/take-off, but will need avgas.

Furthermore Mrs Hum thinks she wants to go to SHETLAND but I've told her there's far too much cold water to cross.

Do you agree? (please say yes...)

xrayalpha
9th Jul 2007, 21:02
Hi,

Can't actually identify the strip! Look like a few possible areas for a C42 microlight, though. Any idea of who for PPR? Colonsay is now a pain!

Thanks,

Colin

NorthSouth
10th Jul 2007, 16:08
The Oronsay strip was established in 1950 after the original strip at Machrins Farm on Colonsay was closed. It was still in occasional use up to the 1980s after the completion of the new Machrins Farm strip in 1974, but has been completely disused for about 20 years now. Oronsay had 3 grass runways - 04/22 457m, 08/26 and 14/32 both 411m. They crossed at grid ref 356883.
If I could find out how to paste an image into this post I'd show you the runway alignments superimposed on Basil S's pic. The FAQ says you click the "Manage Attachments" button but I don't seem to have one, and the insert image button only seems to work if you're uploading from a website. Anyone any ideas?

Humaround: yes, it's a long way from Orkney to Shetland, but if you get high enough there's always Fair Isle half way across. I'd still want a survival suit on for that crossing though. Re Scapa Flow, Lamb Holm will get you nicely to the east side of the Flow but all the museums etc are round on the west side at Lyness, with the exception of the Italian POWs chapel which is right next to the Lamb Holm strip.

NS

contrail
10th Jul 2007, 16:56
Hum,
Lamb Holm nice grass airstrip with Mogas available on request, but is miles away from anywhere. Prob best to goto Kirkwall where 100LL and tie-downs are available. Hire cars & taxis also available readily here. Taxi into town costs about £8 each way. Can recommend the Kirkwall hotel & the Ayre Hotel both down by the harbour. To get over to Lyness (the Naval Museum & cemetry) on Hoy you have to go to Houton (north west corner of the flow) where boats are available. All the other strips on Orkney are council run & are easy to get in & out of, except Flotta which is owned by an Oil company & you need special permission to land at (which you prob wont get).
As for Shetland, well worth a visit. Fuel available at Sumburgh & Tingwall. I would recommend a visit to Fair Isle, Foula & Out Skerries.
Andy Bruce at Far North Aviation in Wick will rent out all required Overwater safety equipment as required.
Con

PH-UKU
10th Jul 2007, 21:05
I walked over to Oronsay at low tide about 3 years ago ... I would say forget it, but that was thinking as a PA28 and R172 (on steriods) person .... Definitely fallen into disuse (possibly even planted with potatoes).

Next time I'm over I'll chat with Alex the Laird ... see if anything is recoverable .. but considering £xmillion of taxpayers money has just been spent on upgrading Colonsay ...

quilmes
11th Jul 2007, 20:02
Could not comment on Iona landing grounds, however some recent history......

Without copyright bursting, straight from “Scotland Scanned” 1975 edited by AR Benzies;
ISBN 0 9503891 0 2

Oronsay.
5601N 0615W
GR51/353883. SW side of island
Opperator: Colonsay Estates
Runways: 04/22 1500ft. 08/26 1350 ft. 14/32 1350 ft, all grass.
History: Built in 1950 after closure of the strip on the adjoining island of Colonsay for safety reasons. Used by Lord Strathcona and various charter operators since then.
Present use: Now ranks second to Machrins Farm as the airstrip for Colonsay and Oronsay, but is still used by Loganair and others.

So, quoting further from same source......

Colonsay (Machrins Farm).

5602N 0615W
GR51/360933, At western side of island.
Operator: Colonsay Estates.
Runway: 13/31 1800ft grass.
History: An OPMAC plan to build an airstrip on this site, near the one closed in 1950, was shelved in 1968, but a local contractor completed the airstrip and it was opened in May 1974.
Present use; Loganair charters (Islander). Airgo and Peregrine ceased using the strip after Seneca G-BBFF crashed here 25-5-74.

NorthSouth
11th Jul 2007, 21:48
quilmes:from “Scotland Scanned” 1975 See post #16 above which is from the 1986 edition.
NS