PDA

View Full Version : Suffolk/Norfolk Flight Experience

Clear Right,Px Good!
5th Jul 2007, 17:09
All,

A request for info!. I am a serving Flight Engineer in the Air Force, my father has his 60th Birthday looming in October. Naturally he loves everything aviation, and I was wondering if anyone could supply me with information on how to go about getting him a rather special flight in an interesting old aircraft.

Ok, so I could book him a red letter day for a flight in a "Tiggie" for a couple of hundred pounds, however being in aviation myself I feel it my duty to try and by-pass the penny pinchers and see if I can achieve this direct.

Later
CRPxGood;)

Pitts2112
5th Jul 2007, 17:34
You can do it directly. Ring up the Cambridge Flying Club and book a flight in their Tiger Moths. Should cost you a fraction of what one of the Red Letter Days would. I did a couple of hours with them a few years ago and, despite the fact that the Moth is a thoroughly miserable creation in every respect, I thought the club do a very nice job with things. Your dad will have a ball!

Then take him on down to Duxford and watch his head explode!

I'm guessing you're at Mildenhall? I was. 100th CES, 95-98.

Pitts2112

pumper_bob
5th Jul 2007, 17:43
How about a trip in a Dragon Domini? Rex Ford has one i believe, i saw it change from a pile of old wood into a Concours condition Beauty. I cant remember exactly, but he said it costs as much in oil as fuel to run:eek: but it is a great thing to see. He's based at Fenland i think.

airborne_artist
5th Jul 2007, 18:28
Boeing Stearman from Old Buckenham, or Chipmunk from Henlow (almost E Anglia?)

Clear Right,Px Good!
5th Jul 2007, 18:44
Boeing Stearman from Old Buckenham

That would certainly put a smile on his face, i'll enquire.
CRPxGood

maxdrypower
5th Jul 2007, 19:07
Recently flew into old buck for some summary purpose that wont interest anyone . I saw the stearman there, very very nice example would'nt have minded a blast myself , a thing of beauty

contrail
5th Jul 2007, 19:24
If you want something really special (but unfortunately quite expensive) & you're prepared to travel to Breighton airfield near Selby (Yorks), you can get a ride in a P-51 Mustang :E via the Real Aeroplane Company (Taff Smith).
£600 for 30mins.

Norfolk Newbie
5th Jul 2007, 20:09
Boeing Stearman from Old Buckenham

Just what I would have said.

And if its your fathers thing, Gerry will throw in a few aerobatics in the Stearman!

[edited to correct speeeling of a certain CFI's name]

Cusco
6th Jul 2007, 10:51
Newbie:

It's Gerry..................

Safe (and inverted) flying

Cusco.

Wessex Boy
6th Jul 2007, 11:59
Conington near Peterborough have a Chipmunk, Sibson just up the A1 have a Cub and a Tiger Moth
Fill your boots!

Chilli Monster
6th Jul 2007, 12:08
If you're in Lincs, and he's visiting you at any stage you could always try Truman Aviation at Nottingham - they had a Tiger Moth which you could book flights in, think it's still available.

Clear Right,Px Good!
6th Jul 2007, 15:28
Good Info, Thanks !. & Pitts 2112.......No I am not at Mildenhall, However we did a lovely approach or two at the very same this morning....Must have been interesting for the guys to watch !

I have ascertained the Stearman is owned by Gerry, anyone know how I can get in touch with him ?

Regards
CRPxGood

Cusco
6th Jul 2007, 16:03
Touchdown Aero Centre
Website
www(dot)oldbuck(dot)com
Email:
flying(at)oldbuck(dot)com
Tel
01953 860806
Freq