PDA

View Full Version : Taking pushchairs onto aircraft

eal401
5th Jul 2007, 06:01
I've just got a question about this.

Flying from LHR on Saturday to Russia (Chelyabinsk via Moscow) complete with little401. (God help me! :) )

Naturally, she'll have a pushchair. Now, I know that you can take these right up to the gate and they'll get loaded from there. But what happens at the other end? Do they get brought up at the arrivals gate, or do we need to collect from baggage claim? Bearing in mind, we are transferring at Sheremetyevo (God help me part 2 :) ) and I have no idea whether our stuff will be checked through or we need to reclaim and re-check-in for the onward flight.

Ta very much!

Also, does anyone know how T2 at LHR has been following the security issues this week?

apaddyinuk
5th Jul 2007, 07:57
It all depends on the airlines own procedures. BA for example does not have a delivery at gate procedure unlike Aer Lingus. However the odd time BA crew will take the push chair into the cabin wardrobes if its a 747 or 777. However if your buggy is one of those massive contraptions then chances are it will not even be delivered to the gate after landing as they are rather awkward. I would recommend those really small "deck chair" type buggies as they are small, light, practical and generally fit into the overhead lockers of most planes.

eal401
5th Jul 2007, 08:55
I would recommend those really small "deck chair" type buggies as they are small, light, practical and generally fit into the overhead lockers of most planes.
Thanks.

We have bought a smaller, lighter buggy that what we had. I doubt it'll fit in a locker though. :hmm:

A2QFI
5th Jul 2007, 09:56
The few times I have noted what happens it seems to me that the buggy gets a label on it at check in. The buggy and child go the aircraft and, at the steps, people go up and buggy is put in the hold. On landing buggys are first out of the hold and are at the bottom of the steps to be reunited with the owner/occupier. Can't be sure that this will be the same everywhere but I have seen it work that way and it seems to be the best idea.

eal401
5th Jul 2007, 11:25
I hope it does, else our time in Moscow is not going to be fun!!

TightSlot
5th Jul 2007, 13:58
A2QFI has the procedure correctly. Sometimes, unfortunately, it is not possible to obtain the pushchair on arrival.

If an airbridge is used, there can be difficulties about enabling access to/from the ramp.

Smaller aircraft (737 etc.) are sufficiently low down that hold access is easy for a human - bigger aircraft require machinery to access the higher hold doors.

Not all airlines stow pushchairss in a hold/container that can be accessed first.

k3lvc
6th Jul 2007, 08:52
Suggest you expect the worst and smile to yourself if your expectations are exceeded.

Not long back from a GB Airways LGW-SSH trip with 1 x 3yr & 1 x 1yr - on arrival at SSH handing agent was waiting at the base of the step with said pushchair - excellent service.

On return flight arrived back into LGW North at 2am (late !) and into one of the gates over the bridge. Lots of crew and 'management' hanging around the airbridge though none of them in the slightest bit helpful - downright rude would have been my opinion when requested by 10+ sets of parents for their buggies. Bear in mind there are no trollies in this area and it's a good 15min walk back to passport control.

Don't know whether this is specific to GB or BA policy but it sucks !!

In summary worth checking directly with your airline before you go and getting a written (email) response from them if positive.