PDA

View Full Version : What To Wear When Flying!!!!

St. Helier
3rd Jul 2007, 19:47
Hi All,

Sounds a bit of a daft question!! but, what would be the ideal clothing be when piloting a private aircraft, I.e PA28 e.c.t?

I have always known some people just wear what they want, like what you wear everyday, but I have heard that some people have a tradition, and a sense of proffesionalism when taking passengers to wear a shirt and tie, not necassarly white shirt and black tie, but it shows the passengers that you have a sense of proffesionalism and pride in what you do in your spare time.

I personally would prefer to wear a smart shirt and tie, but maybe im old fasioned

I welcome anyones views on this?

Whirlygig
3rd Jul 2007, 19:51
I'd feel a tad unsettled if I saw a pilot wearing a black tie :}

I wear sensible boots (jodphur boots), gloves, jeans and a high-necked top (i.e. polo/turtle neck) so that the harness doesn't rub the back of my neck. My passengers are either family or friends and they know how I dress so I don't see the point in pretending to be someting I'm not.

However, one always wears ones make-up, has ones nails done and looks totally gorgeous and glam!! ;):p:ok:

Cheers

Whirls

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Jul 2007, 19:57
After being careful to change into shoes for the first several lessons I eventually learned that I could actually fly wearing sandals.

I've never had any trouble with getting them caught under the rudder pedals (as has happened with the pedals in the car occasionally).

St. Helier
3rd Jul 2007, 19:58
Yes very helpfull thank you!! http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/icons/umph.gif

I didnt meen wearing a black tie, i ment just a shirt and tie

St. Helier

St. Helier
3rd Jul 2007, 20:03
Is there any other old codger out there who agress with me or actualy wears shirt or shirt with a tie (not a white shirt and black tie!!)

Regards

St. Helier

J.A.F.O.
3rd Jul 2007, 20:08
Oh, I love this topic and there are loads of variations on the theme we can go for whether to wear gloves, if so which ones; are your shoes fireproof; do you wear a helmet; what about a grobag; and that's before we even get onto epaulettes.

I did toy with acting dumb - many would say it's not an act - and post a question about how many stripes for a PPL, CPL, etc.

Me, at work I wear what they give me and for fun I try to be comfortable and safe that means cotton and leather in whatever combination takes your fancy, I always mean to wear a long sleeved shirt but generally forget and I have Western Europes largest collection of unused flying gloves.

So, keep it going folks, always a favourite.

foxmoth
3rd Jul 2007, 20:17
Not so much what to wear as what not to wear, flying vintage or aeros I will normally wear a flying suit, with or without leather jacket depending on wx and closed or open cockpit - though best is open cockpit in hot wx with non radio field when you can fly in just trousers and t-shirt. Other than this it is a case of ensuring that you do not have nylon or similar man made fabric on that will be a problem in a fire. As far as ties go to make you look pro - most professional pilots wear the tie until they get in the cockpit (flight deck), then they take it off.:cool:

St. Helier
3rd Jul 2007, 20:19
We are very near to getting an answer!! haha:ugh:

I say again, with a PPL and/or taking passengers, wether they be family, friend or foe, or even taking someone on a business trip.

would anyone here wear a shirt and tie to show a sense of proffesionalism and smartness about yourself,

As I am soon to become an officer Royal Marines Reserve that is probably why I do it!!!:ok:

maxdrypower
3rd Jul 2007, 20:20
Initially I used to wear a flying suit (yeh a real one) Reason being a friend of mine was flying a PA-28 in Cypurs when he had an on board fire . He was dressed as any pilot in cyprus would be , sandals shorts and T-shirt . The fire originated from under the instrument panel . He sustained major burns to his legs and hands prior to his passenger extinguishing the flames with the fire ext. This scared me somewhat. Although I have never heard this happening anywhere else since but you just never know. No one will ever know whther or not wearing nomex would have prevented these burns , at the end of the day wearing jeans might have prevented the injuries from being so bad . But who knows ? A lot of people take the pixx out of those who choose to wear flying suits for GA , but at the end of day flames are flames . The military have been wearing them for yrs , Robinson helis are now recommending pilots wear helmets , The police now wear flying suits and helmets in helicopters , all this is as a result of injuries and fatalities that may have been prevented if this clothing had been worn .
Well thats another take on it I suppose.
Speaking as an ex military officer , ties are for the mess ,when you do the job your paid to do you will not be wearing a tie and believe me you will still be professional

3FallinFlyer
3rd Jul 2007, 20:24
Well I fly for work a lot and I usually have to wear a suit, shirt & tie for work.... But I can't stand wearing them for flying, I usually wear casual clothes, cotton t-shirt, jeans or shorts, trainers etc depending on time of year & then get changed into my work gear at the other end and changed again before I come back. I think the most important thing is to feel comfortable in what you wear for flying.

wsmempson
3rd Jul 2007, 21:54
A posing pouch and a big grin?

Chilli Monster
3rd Jul 2007, 22:29
I say again, with a PPL and/or taking passengers, wether they be family, friend or foe, or even taking someone on a business trip.

would anyone here wear a shirt and tie to show a sense of proffesionalism and smartness about yourself,

NO - I don't even wear a tie to work for gods sake!

Comfort is the priority - wear what makes you feel comfortable. Your passengers will be more impressed by the smoothness and the professional "attitude" you have to your flying than by the way you dress. If you need clothes to express that rather than personality and attitude something is seriously wrong.

Whirlygig
3rd Jul 2007, 22:36
We are very near to getting an answer!! haha:ugh:

And I say again ..... No I don't wear such stuff. When you say you are getting near an answer, did you mean an answer you liked?

I have to dress smartly for my day job, very smartly. So I don't want to ruin my Jaeger suits and Windsmoor blouses doing the Check A.

I would like to think any professionalism I have when flying (as a private pilot) is shown in the manner in which I conduct myself and brief my passengers.

As a commercial pilot, well - it's a uniform.

Cheers

Whirls

Cusco
3rd Jul 2007, 23:38
I personally, being an old codger by your definition (going from your previous posts you are a 17 year old schoolboy/spotter) would never leave the ground unless clad solely in a bowler hat and jock strap.
Mind you, if it's very hot, I leave the jock strap off but I make sure my pax are fully aware of my status by wearing four gold bars velcro'd to my todger.
What do you wear when you go flying Mr Helier?
Or should I call you 'Your Holiness'?
Safe (and comfortable) flying
Cusco;);)

Chilli Monster
4th Jul 2007, 00:08
I personally, being an old codger by your definition ..........would never leave the ground unless clad solely in a bowler hat and jock strap.
Mind you, if it's very hot, I leave the jock strap off
Now there's a vision that'll go with me to the grave - with several sleepness nights inbetween!

UncleNobby
4th Jul 2007, 02:25
Shades, shorts, t-shirt and adidas sneakers (over 90 degrees Far out here most days!)
Whatever makes you comfortable.

Final 3 Greens
4th Jul 2007, 04:50
St Helier

You sound like a *****,

Fill in the asterisks to suit, 'troll' would fit, for example.

BEagle
4th Jul 2007, 06:10
St Helier, personally I recommend a uniform to make it clear that you are the authorised aircraft commander.

But a shirt and tie simply makes you look like a Dixons' sales assistant.

No, what you need is a dark blue uniform with gold buttons, suitable neck covering and, of course, proper rank badges and shoulder devices....

Something like this is usually adequate:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Peart.jpg

You should also consider a proper flying helmet. You can get an adaptor and outer shell to fit to a DC headset, but that offers little in the way of protection. Something like this is far more suitable:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Prussianhelmet.jpg

As for footwear, just use your normal PVC thigh length fetish boots - but don't bother with the fishnet tights until you join the Royals. If you get some pink marigolds to wear as flying gloves, you can also use them in your Marine initiation cermony with a surgical mask.....

:p

BroomstickPilot
4th Jul 2007, 06:16
Hi St Helier,

What you wear depends on what you fly, how often and for what purpose.

If you only fly a Pa28 for ten hours per year then just wear your street clothes, perhaps with the addition of a baseball cap, sun glasses and gloves.

If you fly as a diver driver / meat bomber for a sky-diving club, then you have to dress on the assumption that you will be climbing to 15,000' with the door removed and in the event of mishap you just might have to exit the aircraft mid-air and take to the silk! That's when you need a bone dome and a loose grow bag with plenty of room for extra layers of clothing underneath.

I once saw a vintage Cub in which the fuel tank looked like a tin can just above the front seat occupant's shins. Again, if you only fly a few hours annually, it probably doesn't matter what you wear, but if you fly alot, then, I would submit, you would be wise to wear only non-combustible clothing, i.e. a Nomex II grow-bag with underwear made of the same stuff, (all this is available but it costs).

(Nomex and Proban won't protect you from being burned, but neither will they melt onto your skin and ignite! You'll still be burned, but your injuries will be much less severe).

Consider your flying and then decide what you need to wear and ignore the sneers of the stupid and the ignorant.

Broomstick.

Captain Smithy
4th Jul 2007, 06:30
I usually wear jeans and a sweatshirt for my flying, which is in a spamcan. Would consider overalls if I were in something open and draughty though, or doing aeros (plenty of pockets, see).

Chilli Monster
4th Jul 2007, 08:35
perhaps with the addition of a baseball cap

On a serious note - a read of the latest GASIL suggests this isn't such a good idea due to reduced upwards peripheral vision. I tried once, found the peak very distracting for this very reason and have never worn one since.

englishal
4th Jul 2007, 09:01
Wear whatever you're comfortable in.

This time of year, Jeans and T shirt or shorts and T shirt for me.

I believe it is tradition in the USA, for female pilots on passing the GFT to do the first flight topless. This is a tradition I think we should bring to the UK :}

IO540
4th Jul 2007, 09:23
Englishal is the only one to have got the right answer.

Dave Gittins
4th Jul 2007, 11:23
If I'm actually doing the driving, I just wear whatever I normally would. If I'm SLF though, I have a particularly old pullover with Dan-Air on the left breast which I favour.

As I can normally truthfully say I have been commanding air borne machines for longer than the captain of said 777 or whatever, it gives me something of a feeling of superiority.

Sad really.

Wessex Boy
4th Jul 2007, 11:38
I wear my old RAF issue Flying Boots, Fat-Face trousers (cotton with pockets in the same place as a gro-bag) and a cotton polo shirt.
Comfy, practical and with some fire retardancy. Also I don't scare the Pax into feeling under-dressed

J.A.F.O.
4th Jul 2007, 12:16
See, I told you it was fun.

a sense of proffesionalism

Often the best way to appear professional is to learn how to spell it.

I personally like Beagle's suggestion and shall adopt it as soon as my VP2 becomes airworthy - one needs an open cockpit to do that attire justice.

Lister Noble
4th Jul 2007, 12:43
St Helier,
Ask your FI if you try his or her gear on in front of a mirror, and see how you feel,if you get my meaning.
A Proban jump suit would look good,not be too expensive and could save you from bad carpet burns.
But I'm sure you would be great in a PA28 whatever you choose.
:}

microlight AV8R
4th Jul 2007, 14:36
Pop across to Ebay and take a look at Item number: 260134475028 :cool:

Would appreciate feedback from you folks regarding whether this is suitable attire for low levelinterdiction missions in my Rans S6 ? ;)

snapper41
4th Jul 2007, 14:46
On a serious note - a read of the latest GASIL suggests this isn't such a good idea due to reduced upwards peripheral vision. I tried once, found the peak very distracting for this very reason and have never worn one since.
You could always try reversing the cap, especially if it has a Burberry pattern. I understand this 'look' is very popular with younger people :hmm:

Final 3 Greens
4th Jul 2007, 14:50
Only if combined with ref 260134475028

Chilli Monster
4th Jul 2007, 15:10
You could always try reversing the cap, especially if it has a Burberry pattern. I understand this 'look' is very popular with younger people

1) Would interfere with the headrest

2) Makes wearing it a pointless exercise ;)

3) You just look a tw@t (Is this why Chav and C**t have the same number of letters :) )

snapper41
4th Jul 2007, 15:18
Irony - it's just wasted, isn't it?!

S-Works
4th Jul 2007, 15:19
I prefer, stockings and a mini skirt. Oh hang on I misread the title, when flying........

maxdrypower
4th Jul 2007, 17:05
AV8r , I think that should be worn with Bose-x's chosen attire whilst leaping onto some nubile wench from atop the wardrobe screammingggg banzai !!!!

microlight AV8R
4th Jul 2007, 17:17
MaxDry

Well, you don't think I'd wear for flying do you ? ;)

maxdrypower
4th Jul 2007, 17:20
No No No thought never entered my head

davidatter708
4th Jul 2007, 17:44
Rofl BEagle. I have often thought about buying an RAF helmet and using it in a cessna. Not just because I think they are awesome but are expensive as a decent headset and have 2 types of sunglasses and if u get a bit breathless open the window and stick the breathing nozzle out. But how practical would it be? anyone out there do it or thought about it? The other thing do you think my flying club would giuve me a bit of stick or not
David

J.A.F.O.
4th Jul 2007, 20:18
David

What does rofl mean?

Don't listen to anyone who gives you stick, if that's what you feel comfortable in then you go for it; perhaps eBay item 260134961839 could be supplied for passengers so that your attire didn't make them feel nervous.

The only problem with the full helmet is that it can make 190128821344 difficult to wear but you can always combine them with 110145058189 when safely back on terra firma.

maxdrypower
4th Jul 2007, 20:26
J.A.F its text speak means rolling on the floor laughing

J.A.F.O.
4th Jul 2007, 20:33
Thanks Max - my daughters show me how to send a text message every now and then but I am not particularly competent - my mobile telephone tries to guess what you want to say next and so SHALL WE MEET AT THE THEATRE always seems to be SHORT WIFE MAKES A TEA TRAY and, while that might be factual, it doesn't quite sum up what I intended to say.

HHWLAL.

;)

That's Hey ho, we live and learn

davidatter708
4th Jul 2007, 21:31
Who would need the aviators If u have a helmet they have integrated sunglasses
Dave.
ps still rofl

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Jul 2007, 22:18
J.A.F its text speak
Er, well, I rather suspect that it predates "text speak" by some decades actually. Usenet or email, probably.

GeorgEGNT
4th Jul 2007, 23:21
I have to admit I'm a black shoes, black trousers, white shirt and a pair of shades man. Ever since my first lesson I have, I think its comfortable and therefore haven't stopped, I'm actually suprised how little this attire is chosen for private flying although I'm the only one at my school who does!

I was once told a story about a young lad who turned up for a trial lesson kitted up in flight suit, boots and a helmet freshly purchased for the flight!

pumper_bob
4th Jul 2007, 23:27
This i what i suggest your passenger should wear!
http://wholesalediva.com/images/gallery/%7B1341CCC3-C208-478C-86D0-69613CEC7FF9%7D_anna_kournikova_louis_vuitton.jpg Very nice, however they have to be of a certain type to do it justice!

If your going for a stop over, then one of these would be nice!
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Kelly-Brook-Posters_i1747529_.htm

jabberwok
5th Jul 2007, 03:19
I have to admit I'm a black shoes, black trousers, white shirt and a pair of shades man. Ever since my first lesson I have, I think its comfortable and therefore haven't stopped, I'm actually surprised how little this attire is chosen for private flying although I'm the only one at my school who does!

You must either;
a) be single,
b) have a tolerant wife,
c) never fly an aircraft that drips oil at every pore,
d) never had to add oil in a 20kt wind.

Whirlygig
5th Jul 2007, 06:04
Jabberwok,

GeorgEGNT says he's 17 so I doubt he has a wife!!! Probably a tolerant mother who does his washing and ironing!

Cheers

Whirls

DBisDogOne
5th Jul 2007, 17:46
The Burberry idea has a bit of a flaw, apart from looking like a :mad:-witted chav loser, the CAA would be forced to update R/T procedures if it were worn by pilots.:rolleyes:
For example:
'On base, innit'
'Want flight information service dun-I, ya know wot I mean?
'I aien't sqwalking :mad:all mate, you sayin' I dun summat wot I aien't not never done right so shut up'
'Wot? I wanna land, I know my rights'
'I don't haf'ta get clearance right cos my mate said he never done so an' he knows it all and you're just fick an' don't know nuffink'
'Traffic in the vicinity? Do I look bovvered?'

And of course:
ATC:'Are you ready immediate?'
'No, but yeah, but no, but yeah cos I got off with Chanice cos' Brittany woz chattin' up Ryan & Keanu an' I called her a slapper & stuff'

Personally, if I turned up to fly my friends in anything other than my usual scruffy-ass style, they'd a) Worry & b) Probably laugh.:O
As for wearing ties, they are for sad occasions only, funerals, wedding and job interviews..........:)

maxdrypower
5th Jul 2007, 19:04
DB , Excellent have soiled myself .....again.
Gertrude ever so sorry I should have said Multimedia Speak please forgive my ignorance

J.A.F.O.
5th Jul 2007, 19:49
anyone else find it mildly amusing that someone with an acronym for a name didn't know what rofl was?

I'm just a one man conundrum. :E

DBisDogOne
5th Jul 2007, 20:04
You may or may not be aware, text-language :yuk:(rofl, cu l8r m8, etc.) actually has a technical name, it's known as F***wit, no, I'm not kidding you either!!! A friend of mine is an english teacher and she goes spare at this being used in essays and, so she's been informed, it's also turning up in exams.:=

B2N2
5th Jul 2007, 21:44
I fly bare foot and carry a big stick. Don't have a lot of problems with attitude.
maybe 'cause I look like Master JODA

http://www.alexander-schlaefke.com/php-files/images/news/05112005joda.jpg

B2N2
5th Jul 2007, 21:46
http://img316.imageshack.us/img316/1647/r2sbgxktvq2of72vnbqdwpoypygkmc.jpg

NutLoose
5th Jul 2007, 22:26
Nothing Nylon....... cottons only, seen the after effects in real life of someone that wore nylon in a fire, was not pretty, it continued to burn and weld/ melt itself into his flesh long after he vacated the aircraft and the problem............. not pretty to see and hear, but valuable advice all the same.

BroomstickPilot
6th Jul 2007, 07:30
Don't wear ordinary cotton either if you really worry about fire: ordinary cotton is a vegetable fibre that burns like a torch! Wear wool or silk. These are animal derived and will merely shrivel and extinguish if burned.

Even in the early Nineteenth Century the Rev Patrick Bronte, father of the three Bronte sisters, used to insist that his wife and daughters all dressed in either wool or silk (,even though as a clergyman he could barely afford the cost of it). This was because he had officiated at the funerals of so many women and girls who had died of burns. Their cotton dresses had become ignited by sparks from the open fires people had in their homes at that time.

Treated cotton, however, is a different kettle of fish. 'Proban' is a special proprietory cotton that has fire resistant properties, and I believe there is a process you can apply yourself to make ordinary cotton somewhat fire resistant, although I don't know how effective this is.

Other than that it has to be Nomex II.

Broomstick.

OpenCirrus619
6th Jul 2007, 08:00
I think a uniform of some kind is important. There are 2 ways to go here...

First approach is lots of gold everywhere. The more badges / scrambled egg on your hat / gold bars on your shoulders the more important you will look / more respect you will get from your fellow aviators / more faith your passengers will have in you. For example:
http://www.geocities.com/aviationlife/JuniorPilotSethbright.jpg

The other approach is to wear totally functional clothing. You know the sort of thing: transparent pockets on your thighs, knife strapped to each ankle, gloves, bone dome. As you walk out to your PA28 / C172 everyone will think "There goes a man equipped for anything" and "I wish I was cool like that". For an example of competance, intelligence and a roll model we would like all our children to follow:
http://www.dailyprobe.com/arcs/050603/bush.jpg

The only exception is when gliding. This is a special case where a silly hat is order of the day:
http://www.eglider.org/images/uploads/RSG_blue_hat_(2).JPG

Hope this helps to clear up any sartorial doubts.

OC619

Kerosine
6th Jul 2007, 08:04
My first few lessons were done in size 12 timberland boots (has to watch C of G limits with those on), I could barely feel the rudder pedals! Soon learned to put something lighter on my feet.

SQUAWKIDENT
6th Jul 2007, 10:00
FWIW (For What It's Worth..) seeing this thread is less than serious:) I wear..
1) Loose fitting cotton t-shirt (but not so loose fitting that you can't show off your six pack to suitable persons at arrival airfield).
2) No baseball cap or hat. Only chavs wear caps (normally whilst speeding in their Vauxhall Corsa SRi).
3) Light denim jeans or lightweight "North Face" type trousers (they help to preserve the curves but avoid making you look like a Royal Mail postage sack..).
4) Trainers. As much as I detest them they do help to give more feel through the rudder pedals and help to prevent catching toes on the brakes during takeoff...
and finally: NEVER WEAR ANYTHING WHITE! IT WILL BE FILTHY AFTER THE "A CHECK";)

Small Rodent Driver
6th Jul 2007, 16:02
Just had a quick shufty at this thread and encountered Beagle's post.

Thanks. Caused me to spray coffee all over my keyboard and screen.

Cheered me up for the weekend too.:)

Flash0710
9th Jul 2007, 06:32
One word....

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236223

lotsaluv

xxxx

f

foxmoth
17th Jul 2007, 07:01
For those that don't want to wear a growbag and are worried about fire:-
http://www.mslfirecheck.com/index.html

Just spray on your normal clobber.
:ok:

Schmieglie
1st Aug 2007, 07:53
My instructor reprimanded me when I came to a lesson wearing shorts and sandals - it gets quite hot in South Africa.

He said I should rather wear long trousers and closed shoes. The reason for this is to help protect your legs in the event of a cockpit fire. This might seem trivial, but have you ever tried to kick rudder pedals with flames licking at your feet?

Wessex Boy
1st Aug 2007, 12:25
No but I have stood in a fire with my Flying Boots on, and picked cooked food out of the centre of a fire with my issue Gloves!
We wore our flying kit whilst on Combat Survival & Rescue training, what got damaged was replaced, but it was good to test the kit properly.

I was amazed at how protective the gloves were, I could reach into the fire to pull out and check my Poached Trout hardly feeling the heat (I caught 3 Trout on the first night!:ok:)

Fg Off Max Stout
1st Aug 2007, 15:53
As far as I'm concerned, if you wear what you wear for 'fancy dress' reasons (ie because you want look like and want people to think you are a professional civvy or military pilot) then you, Sir, are a tw@.

On the other hand I would always approve of people wearing safety equipment appropriate to their type of aircraft. I would not object to a light aircraft pilot wearing a flying suit, gloves and a helmet because when that one engine fails, or when that cabin fire breaks out it could save your life (and I've seen the fatal results of both). Such equipment is available from Transair and others and doesn't have to be ex-RAF kit. I cringe when I see people flying in shorts, nylon, etc An avgas flash fire is gonna hurt!

When GA pilots start pitching up in ex-RAF kit, covered in badges, (especially the name badges with wings that look exactly like RAF wings until you get really close) or trying to look like Boeing drivers with epaulettes etc, then they are doing it for the wrong reasons. They will be the laughing stock of professional pilots who wear what they do for a reason.

Moral of the story (original poster take note):
Fancy dress - bad
Safety equipment - good :ok:

M609
1st Aug 2007, 18:36
I wear a sage green flight suit when I fly a Cessna, and soon a Army Cub I
hope. I try to remember to put some gloves on as well.

Reason? A pilot from the RNoAF once showed me the results of a flash fire in the cockpit of a Saab Safari. Crisp is the operative word.

Ahh, and it doesn't matter if it gets oily or dirty when shifting rusty, oily hangar doors about.

About 50% of the frequent fliers in my club use a suit. Either a navy blue. (Norway aero club issue) or the sage green air force model. (We are based at a MIL airfield, and the local stores dept. can arrange a swap when your issue suit gets to nasty!)

We try to get the members to dress a bit sensibly, especially since we reside in alpine terrain at 69N. Is it smart to go flying in shorts and a t-shirt over the mountains just because it's 20C at the airfield? You will feel pretty stupid if you survive a forced landing at 3500ft msl just to freeze to death trying to wade trough 1 meter of snow in your flip flops.

(Both our 172 and A Cub carry a 8kg survival pack, supplied by friends at the air force rescue equipment shop :E )

As for style/looks? I could not care less. I have eaten to many pies to be stylish anyway! :D

White shirts with epaulettes, now that's ridiculous! The German that visited the field earlier this month emerged from his Archer in blue slacks and white shirt with epaulettes (4 stripes!!!!).
Kinda ironic really, since he was rubbish on the R/T, and clearly had no knowledge of the airspace he was flying through, hardly in character for a captain?? ;););) (Worked in the TWR that day)

Dr Jekyll
1st Aug 2007, 20:21
No way would I wear a tie flying with or without passengers, any more than if I was giving someone a lift in the car.

stickandrudderman
1st Aug 2007, 22:16
I think one should wear only one shoe. Cast off the other shoe, for it is a sign......

maxdrypower
2nd Aug 2007, 12:03
Now I think SARM that was a titbit for me too nibble on wasnt it , so I shall bite , Cast aside the sandal and follow the ghourd

foxmoth
2nd Aug 2007, 15:31
Such equipment is available from Transair and others and doesn't have to be ex-RAF kit.

Just a note of caution if you buy one of the cheaper flying suits, I bought one of these, they have a rather stupid collar and so I cut off the bit that had velcro on and did a fire test on it - quite frightening really, hence my post above with the link to firecheck.:eek:

stickandrudderman
2nd Aug 2007, 20:55
:):E:):E:):E

eharding
2nd Aug 2007, 21:03
Oh Great. Python Geeks. What every good thread needs...:E

stickandrudderman
2nd Aug 2007, 21:04
Who Me? Ooh, thank you very much!:ok:

J.A.F.O.
2nd Aug 2007, 21:17
Let us, like Him, hold up one shoe and let the other be upon our foot, for this is His sign, that all who follow Him shall do likewise.

stickandrudderman
2nd Aug 2007, 21:22
STOP! Stop I say!. Let us pray! Yeh, He cometh unto us....

stickandrudderman
2nd Aug 2007, 21:44
I can't believe after all this time I've only just stumbled across this pun:
"I am heeled, the Master has heeled me!":)

Wessex Boy
3rd Aug 2007, 11:59
They're not messiahs, they're very naughty boys!:ok:

SQUAWKIDENT
3rd Aug 2007, 12:08
Now that summer has arrived I have decided to get some epaulettes for my crop top. That should impress and confuse the spotters.
I already have a "CREW" label on a big gold chain hanging off my shorts.
I did try flying in slippers but they kept getting caught under the brake pedals.

Aviator Gray
4th Mar 2009, 21:27
Hi,
Finally going ahead with my first trial lesson (a year late, but heh!) and need to know what I should wear?
A full suit would just look over done, so I need suggestions. :ugh:
I'm U16, couldn't give a toss about fashion so that shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks!

madlandrover
4th Mar 2009, 21:37
Whatever you're comfortable in - I'd rather have a scruffy but comfortable student than an overdressed and queasy one. Usual courtesy rules of course about not wearing stuff that'll leave marks/stains on the aircraft interior. Also don't worry too much if it's a cold day out, aircraft heaters can be quite effective if used properly, and chances are you'll feel too warm rather than too cold anyway. Finally, enjoy it!!

Fg Off Max Stout
4th Mar 2009, 21:54
Boots, speedos, Ray Bans and a cowboy hat.

Probably jeans and a sweatshirt would do. Don't wear anything too good because it will get covered in grease, oil, fuel etc. Don't dress up like Goose and Maverick to fly a Cessna as you'll look a d1ckhead (although I wouldn't begrudge anyone using a flying suit for genuine reasons). Don't wear synthetic fibres, again for safety reasons. Many people do it but I'm not a fan of too much exposed flesh (eg shorts and t-shirts) in aircraft - I've seen the difference even a thin layer can make in a flash fire. Dress comfortably and remember that it's a lot colder up there than down here. Have fun!

Blues&twos
4th Mar 2009, 22:07
The single most useful bit of clothing I've found is decent socks to keep the ol' feet warm.

I would recommend wearing other clothing as well.

PilotPieces
4th Mar 2009, 23:50
I know its only a trial flight but one thing I have found is that when you are in a lesson, the pressure is on and however cold the instructor is, I am normally baking. So the leather jacket and sweatshirt comes straight off after exterior checks and the instructor gets a slap on the wrist if he goes for the heater! :ok:

Whirlygig
5th Mar 2009, 00:08
Isn't that just the truth PilotPieces.:} Even when I was doing my commercial training this winter, I was wearing a light fleece whilst my instructor was wrapped up for an arctic expedition and then he wanted the heating on.

When you're working hard, concentrating, using all your mental capacity, you'll generate plenty of your own heat. Your instructor, on the other hand, is probably more relaxed.

Wear what you'd wear if you were going for a drive. I'd recommend some stout shoes; not trainers (too soft) and not walking boots (too hard).

Cheers

Whirls

Pilot DAR
5th Mar 2009, 01:18
I always wear some appropriate combination of cotton, wool and/or leather. Never synthetics, with one exception*. This for safey reasons with respect the very slight chance of a fire. The exception being somtimes the need for a floater suit for ovewater flight, but that's out of your scope right now.

Wear clothes you don't mind getting a little dirty, which occurs when you walk around check. And, when you solo, expect abuse to the clothing of that day!

Have fun...

Pilot DAR

Rod1
5th Mar 2009, 06:53
“And, when you solo, expect abuse to the clothing of that day!”

I take it there is some bizarre ritual common amongst our colonial friends but not practiced in GB?:}

Rod1

BackPacker
5th Mar 2009, 10:26
Me, jeans, t-shirt and fleece sweater, normally. Unless you fly something like a Cirrus, you'll find that the seals on doors are not as good as your average car. That makes the aircraft a little drafty and harder to heat uniformly. With this combo I can slide my sleeves up and down easily to get comfortable.

I bought shoes with very thin and flexible soles specifically for flying. I used trainers and my normal shoes before, but found that they transfer less of the control feel from the rudder pedals to your feet. But hey, for a trial lesson you're not going to be taught the finer points of rudder control so don't worry about that now.

The other thing I still need to find is a fleece sweater or something that has pen pockets on the sleeves.

And yes, I admit fleece may not be the best choice safety-wise.

WALSue
5th Mar 2009, 12:20
Rather worryingly I have to drive to the airfield in my 'driving shoes', fly in my 'flying trainers' and if its ground schooling I have another type of shoe.

Think the best thing is to go for the layered approach. Generally it can get a bit nippy but I have had instructors who insist on having the heating on full, leaving me to sweat buckets!

Rod1
5th Mar 2009, 13:01
I tend to wear stout shoes with a “walking boot” sole in summer and light hiking boots in winter. If I go down in a remote location I am far more likely to be ok if I have appropriate footwear. I appreciate this is not applicable to training, but it is worth thinking about if you tour.

Rod1

BackPacker
5th Mar 2009, 13:02
Rather worryingly I have to drive to the airfield in my 'driving shoes', fly in my 'flying trainers' and if its ground schooling I have another type of shoe.

That sounds suspiciously female. Am I right or not?:O

IO540
5th Mar 2009, 15:15
If the lesson is in a Tomahawk (PA38), bring a pair of wellies :)

If you are female, go for the older grey haired and more mature instructor ;)

Pace
5th Mar 2009, 16:19
That sounds suspiciously female. Am I right or not?

I would think with a name like Sue more likely female :)

Choose your clothes to be comfortable pysically and mentally. If shades and a leather jacket make you feel and fly like top gun then go ahead.

If it hot you can take clothes off its its cold more difficult to put them on.
If you are female and start taking them off you may give the instructor a heart attack or upset the balance between the two of you re cold or hot :)

Just relax and have fun

Pace

VFR Transit
5th Mar 2009, 16:32
Start as you mean to go on.

Start with a white shirt and a pair of epaulettes(1 bar gold) so everyone knows your a student :oh:

VFR

englishal
5th Mar 2009, 16:37
I wore shorts, hawaii shirt and "sports" flip flops...... Mind yout it was California ;)

Gertrude the Wombat
5th Mar 2009, 18:56
need to know what I should wear?
Question like that is just asking to have the piss taken ... as you will see from some of the replies.

Any sensible indoor clothing, basically. Just avoid anything that might catch in the controls, like long floppy sleeves.

madlandrover
5th Mar 2009, 20:55
One addition: if your TL is done in a 4 seater aircraft and the school allows an extra person in the back to observe (don't call them a passenger, it gets people very wary talking about paying passengers!) then make sure they're also sensibly dressed - high heels are a definite no-no, as are skimpy clothes. Far too easy for the instructor in the front to get an unwanted view when looking round to check up on them. Been there, and it wasn't worth it :hmm:

Aviator Gray
5th Mar 2009, 22:19
All the replies have been sensbible (thanks!) except for the pereson who said speedo's and a cowboy hat (but thankfully also made sensible suggestions)... :rolleyes:

PilotPieces
5th Mar 2009, 22:43
"high heels are a definite no-no"

And may tear the evactuation slide :D

Fg Off Max Stout
5th Mar 2009, 22:46
NT, it's a joke. Chill mate. The rest of what I said was the best advice I could think of. Enjoy your trip.

Aviator Gray
5th Mar 2009, 22:58
Thanks, hopefully I'll get use to the sense of humour :ok:

Rishy
6th Mar 2009, 07:41
Northern Teen,

I see your location is Sunderland. Where are you having your trial lesson?

Rish

IO540
6th Mar 2009, 07:49
One needs to remember that most planes are greenhouses when the sun is shining, so one needs to wear something which one can ..... ermmmmm for want of a better expression ..... unzip!

The DA40/PA38 (no real opaque ceiling) are the worst in this respect. Even when outside temp is -15C (at altitude, say 10k-15kft) I don't need the heater on when wearing a T-shirt; this is the TB20 which has big windows but does have a ceiling.

So I would wear a t-shirt and a fleece with a zip.

BackPacker
6th Mar 2009, 09:46
The DA40/PA38 (no real opaque ceiling) are the worst in this respect.

You should try an aerobatics-capable aircraft such as a R2160, Pitts, Extra or Cap. They all have bubble canopies with no opaque bits at all - after all in a loop you will want to see the horizon coming up to you. Quite happy to fly in them in a t-shirt only, OAT zero and no heater on.

Blues&twos
6th Mar 2009, 12:13
Don't forget to take sunglasses. You might not need them, but if you do and you ain't got them.....

Aviator Gray
6th Mar 2009, 20:53
I know about the sun glasses from forgetting them on Monday when I went flying in a Grob Tutor with cadets - starting of with a cheap pair with the hope of some decent ones later on :ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Mar 2009, 21:07
What's with sunglasses?

Any instructor I've ever flown with would have been deeply unimpressed if I'd tried putting anything between my eyes and other aircraft!

Slopey
6th Mar 2009, 22:10
I'll always remember my instructor telling me on my first lesson that the most important thing to be wearing when flying was sunglasses, and asked why.

His answer, when none was provided, was - "because it makes us look cool!" :D

(he was joking before the fun-police jump on me!)

On a serious note, flying with a low sun up here in winter, I wouldn't be without them!

blue up
7th Mar 2009, 07:20
Have you got a big enough watch with lots of buttons. Gotta have one of those before your 5th lesson.:ok:

Shoes/boots with smooth soles can become a right pain if the rudder pedals are slippery, have lost their friction surface or are in a Tomahawk (leaking water). Boots that lace up tight all the way to the top can restrict the ability to push brake pedals with the tip of the toe. RAF boots often have a design that allows the boots to be tied tight (-ish) but still have a huge ammount of flex at just the right point. If too tight, you can't get to your laces once strapped in! I've worn no other footwear than surplus RAF footwear for the last 12 years of commercial flying. If the Betty Windsor Flying Club use them then they must be half decent?

If you are going to get sunglasses, get ones that won't pinck your lugholes when you get a tight headset on. Otherwise you'll get deep and painful marks on the side of your head. Rayban make ones with thin and flexible wired arms.

Hope this helps.

Aviator Gray
8th Mar 2009, 21:03
I've already got some "RAF Boots" :ok:
Got a couple of v-neck jumpers and shirts yesterday, so that should do for flying along with some jeans.
Still debating St. Georges Flight Training or Nortumbria Flying School. :hmm:

Wessex Boy
14th Apr 2009, 17:57
At the risk of re-opening a Zombie Thread I thought I would point out that there is an alternative source of clothing for the discerning Private Pilot who eschews the allure of the eppaulette and the gro-bag.....

Torque Tonight
14th Apr 2009, 19:17
Wow! It's almost as if you set that company up yourself and wanted to give it a covert free advertising plug on Pprune, but you wouldn't do that would you Jeremy, er sorry, I mean Wessex Boy.

EddieHeli
14th Apr 2009, 20:12
I was taught to wear non-nylon clothes and shoes you could walk home in, having initially learnt on Microlights in the unreliable 2 stroke days.
I usually wear outdoors clothing such as Rohan, Craghopper or Columbia.
I reminded a helicopter Instructor of this when we had a total electrical failure in an R44 and had to walk through the countryside and eventually get the train home. I was dressed on this sweltering hot day in my usual outdoors wear of Craghopper trousers and Columbia shirt and he in shorts, t-shirt and flipflops.
He looked cool in the Heli but a bit of a prat (and cold) waiting at the station.

J.A.F.O.
14th Apr 2009, 21:57
Wessex Boy

The aero-ist site looks interesting, at last someone has put some thought into clothing for GA. Can't wait to see how it develops.

007helicopter
14th Apr 2009, 22:19
Whatever happened to St Helier?

Son of the Bottle
15th Apr 2009, 03:14
Probably getting some sartorial hints from the gliding fraternity.

Lister Noble
15th Apr 2009, 07:21
The LAA have some excellent clothing suitable for aviation use at a fraction of the cost of "fashion ware",I bought some recently and I think their sale continues through April.
At least the profit goes to a worthy cause!
Lister:)

BroomstickPilot
15th Apr 2009, 07:32
So far as I can see, this isn't a new formula on offer. I had a quick look at this latest 'flying wear' site, but for the life of me couldn't see anything particularly special there compared to what is available on the high street.

Many of us will remember 'Stormbyrd', which for a short while really did try to offer clothing specially designed for flying, but fizzled out after a relatively short period in business.

Broomstick.

egbgstudent
15th Apr 2009, 11:01
Forget epaulettes, and gold bars...

Me, I am going to get a gold lurex suit with 4 black bars on. Oh, and not to ferget the riding crop tucked into the boots ;)

Big Pistons Forever
15th Apr 2009, 15:09
An entertaining thread. At the risk of sounding preachy, you should think about the terrain you will be flying over. For instance If you are flying over sparsely settled terrain in winter you should be properly dressed to survive outside if the airplane crashes.

One thing that is for sure is the likelyhood of that one spot of horrible greasy exhaust residue with a hint of hydraulic fluid, transfering to your clothes is directly proportional to the cost of what you are wearing :} Cheap and comfortable are the primary criteria for my flying clothes.

BTW I wear a nomex flight suit and gloves when flying my Nanchang CJ6A, but I would never wear it when flying a cessna or piper.

Phil Space
15th Apr 2009, 15:22
One thing that is for sure is the likelyhood of that one spot of horrible greasy exhaust residue with a hint of hydraulic fluid, transfering to your clothes is directly proportional to the cost of what you are wearing Cheap and comfortable are the primary criteria for my flying clothes.

Whats wrong with this now summer is coming?

http://www.nosalgas.com/Hart/pics/ryanair_1.jpg

L'aviateur
15th Apr 2009, 15:49
Never actually really thought about what I should wear, but have splattered myself in oil and fuel on occasions, as well as flying into a friendly and muddy grass strip ruining pairs of trainers!

Wessex Boy
15th Apr 2009, 17:41
darn! Found out TT

Broomstick, these businesses have to start somewhere, and someone has to have the brass neck to use their own money to get these things off the ground. It ain't cheap and there is a bit of risk involved in these times. If you think you can do better I would welcome the competition!

You have to wear clothes, why not wear some that are subtly aviation leaning rather than Gap/next/River island, oh and they are mainly Cotton, not much nylon as far as we could manage it.

Once some turnover is achieved there will be some innovative products for the discerning GA flyer as well as other branches of air-sports being launched.

dbromle
15th Apr 2009, 18:17
Sky TV' s documentary channels, eg Discovery, occasionally have aviation related programmes. Many cover the period when the UK was a country to be proud of and feature the development of new military and commercial aircraft. Almost invariably as the test pilot strides out to give the first flight to some world leading piece of advanced technology he is properly dressed in sports coat and flannels, with shirt and tie, or a dark suit. Which would seem entirely suitable for a 152

clareprop
15th Apr 2009, 18:40
When going into the spare room to use FS2002, I believe one should prepare properly for the sortie.

Firstly, expensive Egyptian cotton underwear to wick away any perspiration from a possibly challenging approach. Then, a crisp starched white shirt with pointed collar and short sleeves. As I have recently graduated from FS2000, I have awarded myself a fourth ring on the epaulettes. A thin black tie, dark slacks and a barathea double breast with gold buttons is, I believe, particularly sartorial. A black peaked cap with accompanying braid completes the ensemble.
Finally, a quality leather briefcase to match Church brogues and I am ready.
I can't possibly see how the above would not also be appropriate for a circuit or two in a 152 or PA28. Standards ladies and gentlemen, standards!

ExSp33db1rd
19th Apr 2009, 20:50
G.A. flying clothing ?

Lifejacket if flying over water, cap - to keep sun out of eyes ( unless flying the 747, in which case Mr. Boeing provides a perfectly useful sunshade ) shirt and trousers with lots of useful -and reachable - pockets to now hold pocket GPS, phone, small circular computer ( slide rule ) pens etc.

Entering the flight deck told the crew that this was 'our' office, remove whatever item of clothing one wished, personally I threw the tie and jacket into a corner straightaway and inserted one of those small washcloths from the passenger toilet inside my shirt collar to absorb the sweat and avoid having to button up a clammy collar at the end of the trip, looked a prat, but who cares - was my office, entry only by invitation.

QED

AC-DC
19th Apr 2009, 21:23
Anything as long it is not made of synthetics.

dragqueen120
23rd Apr 2009, 16:29
this is the funniest thread on here!
St Hellier are you winding us up? If so please be my friend. If not I suggest a few more nights out the house!

Please post some thing else of equal entertainment.
How to walk along the apron might be a good one? A swift swagger, rayban aviators at the ready and enough quiff to make arnold rimmer look like an amateur!
Smoke me a kipper ill be back for Breakfast!:ok::eek::cool::D

BroomstickPilot
23rd Apr 2009, 17:03
Hi Guys,

As you all know, I currently fly a Mk 1 Besom. For this purpose, I have always worn a tall pointy hat, a long black cloak and hob-nail boots.

This year, however, I have treated myself to the latest flying kit. The tall pointy hat is one of the latest ones made from Kevlar with built in sun visor and spaces either side to fit my Bose Xs. The long black cloak is made from Nomex II and the boots? Well actually they are just ordinary MOD issue leather amunition boots as on the Besom my feet have to double as main undercarriage members. (The Mk 1 Besom is of course a tail-dragger).

Why have I bought such modern flying kit? Well I'll let you into a secret. Later this year, all being well, I am moving up onto jets - the Dyson vacuum cleaner no less.

'Trouble is, my cat is now pestering me for a Nomex cat suit, complete with first officer's bars and a flight engineer's wings badge! 'Has ideas above his station that one.

Wish me luck!

Broomstick.

J.A.F.O.
25th Apr 2009, 19:24
I actually think it's a very reasonable thing to consider. For the day job I wear a bonedome, nomex growbag, boots and gloves; on my days off I wouldn't think about wearing that for recreational flying but should I really wear short sleeves, no gloves and no head protection; or should I think about it a bit more?

StillTraining
26th Apr 2009, 05:22
LOL LOL

BroomstickPilot
26th Apr 2009, 06:28
Hi J.A.F.O.

Being serious about it, I reckon each pilot has to make a value judgement based on a balance of comfort, practicality, risk and cost.

If all the flying you do is 12 hours a year in a Pa28, then you may as well stick to your third best street clothing.

If you fly professionally, the company will insist you wear a natty looking (but cheap) uniform. (One thing that concerns me is the silly uniforms instructors are so often required to wear these days, bearing in mind the inherently hazardous work they do. These uniforms are made of synthetic fabrics that, in the event of fire, will melt onto the skin and burn like a torch. Personally, I would give all instructors Nomex gear).

At the other end of the scale, if you are a military pilot or fly hundreds of hours annually, perhaps crop dusting or doing some other hazardous occupation, then you really need the whole works, bone dome with oxygen mask, leather boots, Nomex grow-bag, scarf, wrist covering and socks, and Nomex or leather gloves.

In terms of practicality, wherever there are aeroplanes there is oil, petrol, hydraulic fluid, sharp protrusions and mud. So you don't want to be wearing your Sunday best. You also need to take into account the weather and temperatures you will be working in.

So overall, each of us needs to know what is available to choose from and then choose with common sense.

Broomstick.

J.A.F.O.
26th Apr 2009, 08:42
Broomstick

I agree absolutely; for work I fly hundreds of hours a year in some pretty stupid conditions therefore the company insists I wear the full monty and I do quite happily.

I don't fly anywhere near that recreationally and I tend to do sunny days, up relatively high so I don't wear all that gear (plus I'd feel an ar$e flying a PA28 in that get up) but I do wear cotton stuff and try to remember the gloves.

StillTraining - No, never mind, the name says it all.

PhilSpace - Somehow I don't think your suggestion would suit me.

BroomstickPilot
26th Apr 2009, 10:32
Hi J.A.F.O.

May I suggest you would be better wearing wool than cotton. Cotton is a plant fibre and also burns like a torch.

Wool is an animal fibre and will just shrivvel if burned.

If you really like wearing cotton, I believe there are simple, water-based processes you can put it through that will reduce its burn-ability. Maybe the cotton trade associations can advise on these.

There is a product called MSI Firecheck that can apparently make cotton fire-resistent, but I know almost nothing about it and don't know whether it is suitable for use on clothing. There should be details somewhere on the Internet.

Fly safely.

Regards,

Broomstick.

Wessex Boy
30th Apr 2009, 09:48
Thansk BSP I will check that product out to see if it is something we can use.

Having seen the new starpilot's Pop Video I am thinking of adding plane-wash bikinis to the Aero-ist range, do you think there is a market?:)

Lister Noble
30th Apr 2009, 10:30
The name of the cotton flame retardent material is Proban,used in some forms of motorsport,not as hot to wear as Nomex.
These look good value.
Dickies Proban Flame Retardent Overalls, WD4869, Flame Retardent Overalls (http://mammothworkwear.com/dickies-workwear/flame-retardent-workwear/coveralls/dickies-workwear-proban-flame-retardent-overalls-p562.htm)
Lister:)

BroomstickPilot
30th Apr 2009, 10:57
Hi Wessex Boy,

Having seen the new starpilot's Pop Video I am thinking of adding plane-wash bikinis to the Aero-ist range, do you think there is a market?

I really don't know about the general market. Being a wicked witch I can only comment from the point of view of the nasty magic market. Normally, I fly by night high above the streets of Slough on my Mk1 Besom scattering wicked spells.

However, that bikini looks like a good idea and might make day-time, low-level operations worth considering. Just imagine a wicked witch several hundred years old, wearing nothing but her pointy hat and a bright green bikini, riding up and down the streets of Slough at street level in broad daylight scattering nasty spells! And wait 'till I get a Dyson vacuum cleaner to ride on!

Splendid idea! Truly great magic!

Broomstick.

BroomstickPilot
30th Apr 2009, 12:41
Hi Wessex Boy,

Actually, Lister Noble's right; I must confess I had forgotten about Proban.

However, that means buying new kit made anew from Proban cotton.

When I mentioned those cotton treatments I was assuming you wanted to treat items of existing kit, such as a cotton grow-bag that might be expensive to replace.

Regards,

Broomstick.

WestWind1950
22nd Oct 2011, 04:49
wadner, this is the second OLD thread you have dug out... are you trying to do advertising for that shop? :=

non-trolls would start a new thread...

kevmusic
22nd Oct 2011, 09:06
.....your text has been copied and pasted form one thread to the next. You might have tidied up the grammar and spelling in the interim! :rolleyes:

Jan Olieslagers
22nd Oct 2011, 16:24
The one thing I found is one can never have enough pockets to put all kind of paraphernalia.

Jan Olieslagers
22nd Oct 2011, 17:51
So that would make a total of 15 or so? Cheese us, that would quite spoil the M&B of my poor microlight. Remember epaulettes must be pure gold to be of any significance!

thing
22nd Oct 2011, 23:07
A pair of those cotton trousers with the big pockets on the side (can't remember what they're called now, is it cargo trousers?) are handy. As has already been said, you can't have too many pockets/penholders. I know it may sound daft but unless you have a kneeboard already you can be stuck for a place to put a pen, and you need a pen/writing implement when flying.

thing
22nd Oct 2011, 23:32
Sky TV' s documentary channels, eg Discovery, occasionally have aviation related programmes. Many cover the period when the UK was a country to be proud of and feature the development of new military and commercial aircraft. Almost invariably as the test pilot strides out to give the first flight to some world leading piece of advanced technology he is properly dressed in sports coat and flannels, with shirt and tie, or a dark suit. Which would seem entirely suitable for a 152 I'm sure I've seen pictures of George Bulman test flying aircraft wearing a bowler hat. By the way I've checked out the MSI firecheck stuff and it says it lasts until immersed in water, so basically you have to reapply it every time you wash your clothes.

ShyTorque
23rd Oct 2011, 10:13
Bowler hats are for city types only, the Fedora is for more professional, down to earth aviator types.

Mind you, Igor Sikorsky's Fedora did fall off when he got flung out and went through the rotor disc.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Oct 2011, 10:23
Tex Johnston who did the first flight of the B52 and had barrel rolled a B707 did most of his flying in cowboy boots and a stetson.

G

BossEyed
23rd Oct 2011, 11:01
GtE's post reminds me that there was a Learjet accident when one of the good ol' Texan pilot's cowboy boot heels got jammed under the rudder pedal and the aircraft departed the runway.

Yee ha!