PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Flight Training VS Wycombe Air Centre (which school?)

2morrows pilot 2day
3rd Jul 2007, 16:05
Dear All,

My first post here on PPRuNe, so be please be nice!!:ok:lol

Pilot Flight Training VS Wycombe Air Centre??
http://www.pilotflighttraining.com/
http://www.wycombeaircentre.co.uk/

Does anyone have any information about these two flying schools, particularly Pilot Flight Training, as I’m hoping to start training for the PPL next year. I know it depends on personal preference and financial situation, but im hoping that I could get some detailed information on both flying schools. I already have some background knowledge of Wycombe Air Centre, as a friend of mine trained for his PPL there(we went flying together last week), and I got an information pack at Aero Expo, last month. I was really hoping for some reviews about Pilot Flight Training, with some details on prices and fees, so that I can make a decision as to which school would best suit my needs. I have already emailed the school, but haven’t received a reply. I would be interested in training there at Oxford, as I spent a week’s work experience with Oxford Aviation Training, so know a little bit about the airfield already, and like the fleet of Piper Cherokees that they operate, and think they would be an excellent aircraft to train in!

Many thanks,

2morrows Pilot 2day

kitfoxman
3rd Jul 2007, 17:45
what do you want to do and what do you want to fly when you've finished your PPL or NPPL?

Three Yellows
3rd Jul 2007, 18:10
I can only speak for Wycombe Air Centre. Extremely professional and friendly bunch. Wycombe Air Park is also well run by the very good ATC, so a good, controlled atmosphere to learn in. Wycombe have mainly Cessnas (high wing). I think that they have got rid of their low wing Piper but I'm not sure.

I don't know the Oxford based school, but why don't you have a lesson with each and see how you get on. The time will all count towards your PPL.

smarthawke
3rd Jul 2007, 19:47
Wycombe Air Park is run by Airways Aero Associations Ltd part of which is the British Airways Flying Club who operate a fleet of Piper Warriors (and a Piper Dakota and a Chipmunk).

Have a look at:

http://www.bafc.co.uk/home.shtml

Certainly go and visit them before you make their mind up, meet the people (instructors aren't hour building persons, they're either career instructors or retired BA flight crew) and have a look at their aircraft.

It pays to look around before you dive in! Particularly check out any possible 'hidden' costs which one of the aforementioneds' parent companies is renowned for....

michaelthewannabe
3rd Jul 2007, 20:41
Hey folks.

I'm learning at Pilot Flight Training at the moment. I've had four lessons with them (although I've booked eighteen in that time, fourteen of which have been cancelled by weather!)

So, what to say about them? They're very organised, they have a very good attitude, the instruction I've had from them has been fairly good. I've had three different instructors and some of them quite resemble hours-builders: career instructors would be preferable, but none of the instruction I've received has been ineffective or less than competent. Aircraft are typical old Cherokees, but appear diligently maintained. Oxford seems to be quite a good place to learn: big tarmac runway and grass both available, proper ATC with ground, tower and approach (although only tower seems to be operational whenever I have my lessons there), and plenty of traffic to keep you on your toes, but not (in my limited experience) so much that it gets in the way. Costs are reasonable: PA28-140 dual instruction is £132/hour, and landing fees are included in the £125 annual membership.

I suppose I'd echo what someone else said, and go for a flight at both to see what they're like. If everything else was completely equal, the career instructors at Wycombe would probably tip it for me. But what tips it for me is the fact that Oxford Airport is ten minutes' drive from both my house and my office!

Good luck!

mtw

trafficcontrol
3rd Jul 2007, 21:24
Now Jay.... Wycombe Air centre! :P

2morrows pilot 2day
3rd Jul 2007, 23:35
"what do you want to do and what do you want to fly when you've finished your PPL or NPPL?"

In response to reply number two, after gaining the JAR PPL, i would hope to go on to become an Airline pilot and train with OAT, or another well recognised flying school. I know that WAC do; CPL, IMC, Night rating and so on, so if i do decide to train with WAC, it may be an idea to get those ratings with them aswell!

kitfoxman
4th Jul 2007, 10:03
good luck, i have no experience with the route you propose

Katherine Alexandra
9th Jul 2007, 12:12
I can kinda speak from both sides; I'm learning at WAP (albeit BAFC! Why not have a look at them? They have some lovely PA28 Warriors and their prices are comparable to WAC) and working on reception at PFT.

PFT's instructors are all professionals and very safety-conscious, as have heard that some people criticise them for not sending students flying when the weather's a bit dodgy. Clearly, this isn't a bad thing! I don't know how many of them are career instructors and, though I'd guess at the majority, I can only really speak for BAFC in this department. Prices there are reasonable and, while their aircraft aren't as good looking, as it were, as BAFC or WAC's, they're safe and fly fine so it doesn't really matter!

BAFC and WAC operate out of a very different airfield, which is smaller but really no less busy (just doesn't have the bizjets coming in and out of course!). BAFC staff, as I can't really speak for WAC, are all a lovely lot and very focussed and professional, all of whom are career instructors and many of whom have very considerable experience. I can guarantee that you wouldn't go wrong with them. Their Warriors are very well maintained too.

Maybe it'd be an idea to have a Trial Lesson at WAC, PFT and BAFC? That'll save you money in the long run as you'll be somewhere that you fit in. I know people who don't like BAFC because it doesn't feel "clubby" enough but, personally, it'd be my first choice every time and I've no regrets about flying there.