PDA

View Full Version : First NZ VC since WW2

snapper41
3rd Jul 2007, 13:28
OK, so this is a military rather than air force award, but still...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1273167,00.html

Strange it hasn't attracted more publicity.

India Four Two
3rd Jul 2007, 14:54
Citation here:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10449090

Amazing bravery.

4Foxtrot
3rd Jul 2007, 15:15
It's getting a mention on ARRSe (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=71365/highlight=apiata.html)

Bloody brave fellow. Those kiwis are bonkers. The last one got a bar to his VC in WW2. I believe he eschewed the more traditional No. 8 Lee Enfield .303 rifle for a sack of grenades. He had obviously been reading The Chap (http://www.thechap.net/content/section_archive/military.html):

The Military Chap will find the actual business of warfare a trifle dull. For one thing, it is well known that most foreigners are abject cowards. The Military Chap may well find that five dozen Johnny Foreigners surrender to him when he strolls into their trench armed with nothing more than a well-waxed moustache, a rolled up copy of the Illustrated London News and the latest cricket scores. For this action he will receive a good MC and the nickname "The Mad Major".

But to keep the thread relevant to flying matters, there must be some bravery-related flying gongs in the pipeline somewhere. Anyone shed some light on this?

johnfairr
3rd Jul 2007, 15:25
I wonder why it has taken 3 years to be officially gazetted? Anyone shed any light?

jf

c130jbloke
3rd Jul 2007, 20:22
Might be because he is SF ?

Check out the badges on his jacket...

Whatever, his balls are still a lot bigger than mine and he deserves the VC.

dum_my
3rd Jul 2007, 20:45
It appears this is the first ever award of the Victoria Cross for New Zealand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Cross_for_New_Zealand), not to be confused with the original Victoria Cross, although the medal design is identical.

henry crun
3rd Jul 2007, 22:36
dum_my; AFAIK the only difference is the name, the conditions/requirements for recommendation of the award are identical.

Samuel
3rd Jul 2007, 22:41
It is a VC, regardless. The NZ tag came when NZ did away with UK awards, except for the VC.The Victoria Cross for New Zealand was instituted in 1999 to replace the British Victoria Cross for future awards to New Zealand military personnel. The Victoria Cross for New Zealand is the premier New Zealand award for gallantry. It is awarded for ‘most conspicuous gallantry, or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour, self sacrifice or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy or of belligerents'. There are three other awards for gallantry in the New Zealand honours system: the New Zealand Gallantry Star, the New Zealand Gallantry Decoration, and the New Zealand Gallantry Medal.
The Victoria Cross for New Zealand is a bronze cross paty or formy (with straight edges). In the centre of the cross is the Royal Crest above a scroll inscribed with the words "For Valour". The cross is attached by the letter "V" to a straight bronze suspender bar bearing laurel leaves. The medal and ribbon for the Victoria Cross for New Zealand is identical to the British Victoria Cross instituted in 1856.
It took a while to get the paperwork done because, so I believe, there was no one around in NZ Defence who was up with the procedure of awarding a VC, so the whole process was checked with the UK authorities. He was only told of the award on Sunday 1st July!
He's a very modest and unassuming man, but anyone who knows anything at at all about Maori and Maori soldiers in particular, it would never have occurred to him to do anything other than what he did. The man who initiated the award was AM Bruce Ferguson who was CDS at the time. Bruce spent most of his flying career on the Iroquois!

eagle 86
3rd Jul 2007, 23:44
Australia also has VC for Australia.
GAGS
E86

ORAC
3rd Jul 2007, 23:58
He was only told of the award on Sunday 8th July! Time travel as well then... :}

pr00ne
4th Jul 2007, 00:27
Just out of interest, from what material are these Australian and New Zealand VC medals cast?

diginagain
4th Jul 2007, 00:37
According to wiki, (I know, not a definitive source), the same as the UK.

wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Cross)

Samuel
4th Jul 2007, 01:42
Quote:
He was only told of the award on Sunday 8th July!

Time travel as well then...

Excuse me?

Samuel
4th Jul 2007, 03:03
I said he was officially advised of the award on Sunday 8th July [2007], so where do time travel and Dr Who come into it?:ugh:Such pithy wit is a bit too much for me I'm afraid.

diginagain
4th Jul 2007, 03:16
I said he was officially advised of the award on Sunday 8th July [2007], so where do time travel and Dr Who come into it?Such pithy wit is a bit too much for me I'm afraid.

I dunno. Maybe because Sunday 8th July 2007 hasn't arrived yet, for the non-Time Lords among us. Even on this side of the globe it's only Wednesday the 4th.

Samuel
4th Jul 2007, 03:52
Ah, yes, now I see an error, it was, of course, Sunday the 1st July, and not the 8th, my mistake. I'm glad to oblige two minds at least with the obvious. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.:DI

aviate1138
4th Jul 2007, 09:00
Kiwi Samuel said......
"Ah, yes, now I see an error, it was, of course, Sunday the 1st July, and not the 8th, my mistake. I'm glad to oblige two minds at least with the obvious. Thank you for pointing out my mistake......."
You Kiwis always have trouble with numbers don't you? Where are the
numbers "Tin" and "Sivin" supposed to fit in? :)
Aviate 1138

WhiteOvies
4th Jul 2007, 14:46
Amazing bravery, medal well deserved, wonder if he's happy about having his mug shot on Sky though? Don't reckon too many SF want their picture plastered across the world, I notice the Kiwi paper is a bit more discreet!

Maple 01
4th Jul 2007, 14:59
I hope when they hold VC get-togethers that our Aus/NZ chums are invited along too. Same medal, same people

Aynayda Pizaqvick
4th Jul 2007, 16:08
A couple of years back, a mate of mine that is in the NZ Army told me a SAS guy had been 'awarded' a VC in Afghanistan but that it couldn't be announced until he had left the regiment. I guess he has finished with NZ SAS and thats why this has now been released - it certainly explains the delay. Either way, massive respect!

ZK-NSJ
5th Jul 2007, 12:19
by all accounts the chap is still in the sas, the reason why his name was released was that a vc is a rather special award and it would have been hard to "keep it quiet"
"maori battalion march to victory, maori battalion staunch and true,
maori battalion march to victory, take the honour of the people with you,
and we'll march march march to the enemy, and we'll fight right to the end,
for god, for king, and for country, ake ake kia kaha :ok:

full interview with cpl apiataa

http://www.tv3.co.nz/News/NationalNews/FullinterviewwithCorporalBillApiataatrueKiwihero/tabid/309/articleID/30243/Default.aspx#video

Sunray Minor
5th Jul 2007, 13:27
Nice one - kia kaha, Bill.

"Onward"