PDA

View Full Version : Aid supply - how does that work?

ipanema
23rd Dec 2001, 00:40
Does anyone know how Aid supply works? In searching for a job it was suggested that I contact the worldwide Aid Donors - like UN, CIDA - to see if they needed people, but I suspect those organisations contract that danger work out...

I guess Medevac is the same kind of deal?

Which companies do Aid supply contract work in Africa? Near East? The ????ghanistans?

As an addendum to the question, what kinds of equipment do these contractors fly? All C130s? Any Skyvans? Twotters?

And is Aid flying all that dangerous? Have there been many fatalities / planes shot down?

Metro man
23rd Dec 2001, 03:23
Aircraft are usually though not always hired externally as it is cheaper to do this than for an aid agency to maintain it's own fleet.

Aircraft range from Pilatus Porter to DC8 ,though Islanders ,Twotters ,Caravans feature pretty heavily.

Can be dangerous depending on where you end up ,yes aircraft have been shot down ,hijacked ,crew held for randsome and some countries are littered with land mines.

Some good jobs out there some very dodgy ones as well.Best to work for someone big like Red Cross or United Nations , with back up if things go wrong.

Try a searh for Zimex Aviation and Ross Air ,both heavily involved in relief flights.

ipanema
23rd Dec 2001, 08:28
Thanks much for the info... I found both, but RossAir now require you sign up with another company - and pay a fee of 250 Rand - to submit an application.

Anybody else have any comments? Any other companies that figure heavily in Aid supply flights?

Much appreciated...

ipanema

Gooneybird
28th Dec 2001, 18:37
Ipanema I just read the Rossair recruitment blurb myself and it does give a free alternative to the 350 rand (not 250) via MH aviation. Please re-read it and you'll see what I'm on about. It's got to be worth a go if it's free, surely.
The pay site, on the other hand, <a href="http://www.findapilot.co.za" target="_blank">www.findapilot.co.za</a> is supposedly accessible to lots of companies not just Rossair and therefore could be worth it. That said I know nothing about it and I'm certainly not going to give them my money until I meet someone who got a job that way.
Can any of the rest of you help out with that?

ipanema
28th Dec 2001, 19:23
I signed up for it anyway for that very reason... greater exposure (although that could be just blurb to get the suckers to shell out).

Are there any current rumours zooming around as to just who really is hiring - now or in the New Year? I'm a high time Twotter/Islander jock with good Dash-8 FO experience.

I've been emailing/faxing out resumes by the score (literally), but nobody's responding. Standard procedure, I suppose, but this far away I have no way of knowing what's going on at ground level.

Any and all info very much appreciated... and I can provide a detailed resume on-line to interested employers.

[email protected]