PDA

View Full Version : Maun

mhorton
30th Jan 2002, 02:20
I am interested in going to Maun to find a job for the 02 season. I have 500 hrs TT, 250 C-208. I would appreciate any info regarding the prospects for the 02 season, given the situation in Zim etc.. .I would also like to know what type of medical is needed for working in Bots, is it issued in Bots or is an FAA medical acceptable?

Thanks in advance for any information

KASAC 7
30th Jan 2002, 23:18
As has been mentioned before, you will have to spend the bucks and go up to Maun to meet the operators to be even be considered for a job. I have heard that a good time is February but try Kiwi Flyer on this forum, he will be able to verify that. As for the medical, when you have a job offer then you will have to get a Bots license which will include a local medical. Basically, if you can walk in to the Doctors rooms you will get a medical. Hope this helps!

TALUFTEN
31st Jan 2002, 20:33
K7,. .Aside from the medical and licensure conversion does an expat pilot have to get a work visa/permit to fly in Bots? If so how long does that take?. .I assume that the travel and money factors keeps a lot of expat pilots from making the trek to Maun, however just out of curiosity, have you noticed a surge of expat pilots arriving in Maun searching for pilot jobs?. .Thanx

KASAC 7
1st Feb 2002, 00:03
Yes, a work/residence permit is required but that is usually taken care of by the company that employs you. It can take up to 3 months to sort all that out. I work in Gaborone so I can't tell you if there has been more of an influx than usual. Looking at your hours I would say that you are probably a likely candidate for work in the Delta but you have to be there to be successful. Look up Kiwi Flyers email on this forum and give him a shout. He is based in Maun and can tell you more.

TALUFTEN
6th Feb 2002, 02:47
K7,. .What are things like in Gabarone, flying wise. How many charter operators in the area? How does it compare to Maun?. .Thanks.

KASAC 7
6th Feb 2002, 22:53
There are only two operators in Gabs and neither are taking on crew at the moment. Maun has a host of different companies so I would advise trying there.

Gravox
9th Feb 2002, 08:09
Anyone got any ideas what the 02 season is going to be like in Maun? Has there been much movement in the industry lately, or is it the same every where, hold on to what you've got????

Seriously thinking about coming over to Africa. What is the rest of the country like? Is there work available if you are prepared to travel and knock on doors, or is it the same as over here in Aus, very tight, and all doors closed solid.

compressor stall
10th Feb 2002, 07:17
Do a lot of research first mate. Here is a good start, trawl through the last 365 days postings and write down all the info that people say. Recurrent things are likely to be true, and it gives you a better understanding.

WRT to events at home, keep your head up, it's a business decision, nothing to do with you personally, don't make enemies over it and move on to greener pastures!

Good luck!

Caribou 2
10th Feb 2002, 10:06
Don't rule out the Zim season, big things may yet happen.....and there are a lot of Vans floating around there needing pilots...most foreign registered so no work permit bull****....

Stage3
10th Feb 2002, 21:00
Used to fly in Maun years ago...wondering what's going on there...still flying around at zero feet making the the punters puke? Might head back for a visit later this year.Anyone have John Allotts e-mail address?

TALUFTEN
10th Feb 2002, 22:25
C2,. .Can you elaborate on the Zimbabwe Caravan situation? What operators? Where are they located(Vic Falls)? Of course, the politics. . .Thanks

Gravox
11th Feb 2002, 06:43
Caribou 2 are the Vans N registered, and if so will I need an FAA license to crew them? I have a kiwi/Australian licence.

Compressor Stall, after the recent events at home I am just keeping my options open. I know it was a business decision, and I'll try not to make enemies, but hey I do feel sour at the moment. . .Going to Africa is a good excuse to catch up with family. I was actually on my way to Africa before getting the job in Cairns.

break dancer
11th Feb 2002, 09:30
Attn Captain Cargo, John Allott's email is still at Northern Air: [email protected] I haven't used it for about a year, but he's still out in that part of the world cleaning his nails. I'll be going back sometime in May for a couple of weeks, so am really looking forward to the seeing the changes - it's been about 7 years now.....

A quick bit of advice to all those wanting to make the move to that part of the world from someone who's been around a bit, the only answer is to go out there and get to actually meet the people, but whatever you do, when entering the country don't say a thing about looking for work. As soon as the immigration department get a sniff that you're looking, you could get into a bit of trouble - leave it all to the lucky company that employs you to organise. All you're there for is as a tourist to see the lovely sights of their beautiful country. Good luck.