PDA

View Full Version : I give up; where does XP hide email messages?

Binoculars
2nd Jul 2007, 10:00
Mrs B's computer broke. I have rescued the hard drive but the new Dell I bought her doesn't appear to have a spot for me to plug it in so I can empty the contents on to an external HDD, but I'm digressing already.

I did a search on the new one for wab, pst and dbx files and came up with nothing at all. I know Microsoft have always enjoyed making email information impossible to find for anyone without an IT degree, but this is ridiculous; they have to be there somewhere!

Mrs B is at an advanced stage of panic at the thought that all her work emails have disappeared for ever. It's running XP Home; any information would be appreciated.

Blinkz
2nd Jul 2007, 10:13
Its a little complicated. My folder is
C:\Documents and Settings\Chris (use whatever profile you use most here)\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\(loads of random letters abnd numbers here)\Microsoft\Outlook Express

lots of files with the names of your outlook express folders should be there. Copy these.
Once new Outlook is fully setup just copy the files back to the folder you found them.

Binoculars
2nd Jul 2007, 10:18
Yes, that's what I used to do, but on the new computer, despite having Outlook Express configured and being used, when I get to Application Data the only subfolder is Google. :confused:

Blinkz
2nd Jul 2007, 10:22
try some of the different profiles, all users or administrator or default user ? Also you need to have view all files set to on, but you sound like you know what your doing so that is prob already done.

Background Noise
2nd Jul 2007, 10:32
If its outlook, it should be a file called outlook.pst. Folder tree as above except ......application data\microsoft\outlook. The local settings and app data folders are 'hidden' so you will need to select 'show hidden files and folders' - from any folder view select tools, folder options, view then the button for hidden files.
If you are trying to connect an old internal hard drive you can get a usb to ide connector - like this (http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/106519)

Just seen your next post - I don't have outlook express installed anymore but i seem to remember that from within tools or options you could configure the location for the mail storage?

Binoculars
2nd Jul 2007, 10:41
Errr, blinkz.... that is a very dangerous assumption, and as it turns out an erroneous one. I now have View all files selected...... thanks to you both. How embarrassing!

:O:O

Blinkz
2nd Jul 2007, 13:40
glad its sorted now!