PDA

View Full Version : Turbulence

Slinks
1st Jul 2007, 20:24
I was travelling from Zurich to Munich this evening and we hit some quite considerable turbulence, so much so that they stopped serving drinks. I'm a regular flyer and dont get nervous but did feel a little uncomfortable at times. While we were bouncing around the clouds I started to wonder how much turbulence a regular passenger plane is able to withstand. Logically I would say they are designed to handle any turbulence mother nature can throw at them as long as the captian doesnt decide to go tornado hunting..... (this is also the most comforting answer that i will accept as default until told otherwise....)

So I'd appreciate a professional's point of view on it. Also I did notice that the cabin crew didnt stop smiling throughout the whole flight. You must get nervous as well when it's really bumpy???

cheers
Slinks

Final 3 Greens
2nd Jul 2007, 05:25
Slinks

From another FQTV (also a ppl)

Aircraft can take a lot of turb - much, much more than you experienced, as unpleasant an experience as it was for you.

One thing we learn when we learn to fly is that human physiology was not designed to fly, so the signals given back to the brain, e.g. in turb, are confusing and uncomfortable.

I'll let the professionals answer for themselves, but I found I developed a tolerance as my hours increased and when my workload was higher didn't even notice most turb.

Of course, sitting in the back, out of touch with what is happening, with nothing much to do it usually feels a lot worse than it is and I don't like turb encounters, such as the one you describe, as a pax.