PDA

View Full Version : Timekeeping

Colonal Mustard
1st Jul 2007, 19:01
Is it me......a number of friends have commented jokingly about how i use my timekeeping estimates!

I flew approximately 1900 hrs over a few years and found myself being to the minute in order to calculate fuel/etc

I no longer fly but still tell people i will be at a venue/party/pub/work at times that include every minute in the hour

For example:-

When asked what time i will be in the office in the morning i said "about 0817", the bloke laughed until the following morning when by pure luck (i was travelling by train) i arrived at 0816 (by his watch), i had forgotton about the previous discussion and genuinely did not slow/speed up to make the time fit..

This is one example, but i use it rigidly and Mrs CM has now picked up on it and seems to question whether its just me or an aviation thing seeing as i never hear joe public using anything other than quarterly slots in the hour.

God hear me........ lets see where this discussion goes:eek:

Whirlygig
1st Jul 2007, 19:09
Is it me......

Yes!

Your fastidiousness with regard to punctuality is laudable but an accuracy of +/- 1 minute is going a tad far. What happens if traffic holds you up? Or public transport is late? I hope you're not going to commit sidereal hari-kiri and fall on your sword?:}

Try weaning yourself off by using the nearest 5 minute mark and that way, you may endure less ridicule from friends and family!

Cheers

Whirls

VeeAny
1st Jul 2007, 19:10
I do it as well.
I think I did it before I got into aviation, and I now have a job where depature times are to the minute. The boss likes to know what time i'll arrive when I am off doing other stuff, so he doesn't waste time stood around waiting for me.

Quite often i find myself with landing estimates of 1756. Not always right, but it is quite amusing to see people amazed when it does work out.

I will always suffer ridicule so don't need to worry about 5 minutes as whirly suggested to you earlier.

V.

Whirlygig
1st Jul 2007, 19:17
Oh no :bored: There's TWO of them! I bet there's going to be more coming out of the woodwork and confessing then we'll end up with a group of Timekeepers Anonymous!! :8

Cheers

Whirls

VeeAny
1st Jul 2007, 19:29
Whirly

I was probably accurate to the nearest 15 mins when we flew. I've got a bit better since then.

GS

Colonal Mustard
1st Jul 2007, 19:41
Just seems to be something i fell into and have now had it pointed out to me it rather worried me..... seems i`m not the only one

you watch someone will pop up and call it "Cheeko time" or somethin

spinwing
2nd Jul 2007, 01:12
Jeez youse guys is picky ...... growin up in the ozzie bush we wuz luky to get to our destinashuns on the rite day!

:} :E

Appologies to my bush pilot bretheren!

DanglyBob
2nd Jul 2007, 08:31
I find myself working in tenths of an hour, due to work in a previous life logging time as decimal units of an hour......

:)

psyan
2nd Jul 2007, 08:44
"Just seems to be something i fell into" wrote CM

CM, I think you should be more concerned with your accuracy. If you find yourself delaying arrival or departure at a point previously specified so clearly then that is cheating and I'd recommend you pay more attention to the attendant variables.

Best Wishes

Banjo24
3rd Jul 2007, 06:07
I can not believe this thread!! Time keeping to the nearest minute. What sort of a person would tell someone that they will arrive at 10:56 really that is so lame. What is wrong with 10:56 and 23 seconds. Hello.

To not use the 60, yes 60 seconds available to you when letting people know what you are doing is simply the height of laziness.

Get a grip people and take some pride in your timekeeping after all we pilots have big watches, lets use them.

HELOFAN
3rd Jul 2007, 18:32
The Army made me do it , now Civvy aviation does reinforces it on me.
I think its cool when you get it right but I dont tell PPL the time I am thinking if I just tell them the approximate time....too freak showish for me.

HF

serf
3rd Jul 2007, 19:06
I personally like to plan to arrive at a set time -30sec/+0.........as someone already said, its the Army wot made me do it

psyan
4th Jul 2007, 10:49
The point to precise time keeping is not as freakish as some might think. It requires considerable discipline of thought / activity direction and is a very useful tool help an individual learn how to manipulate variables constantly.

I think going down to the second level is a bit ambitious for most people and perceive that using the decimal division of time to be an advantage in aviation matters for a number of valid reasons, speed of calculation being one. But I also like the method because it causes confusion amongst some people and indicates their level of current understanding.

Till later, I have to be at the bank by 13.2

Best Wishes

Heli-Ice
5th Jul 2007, 03:32
Banjo

Not all of us have big watches, I am the other type that tells stories and plays with his dingaling... :}