PDA

View Full Version : greendot to vref+80

fourgolds
1st Jul 2007, 18:21
Hi Folks
About to convert from A330 to 777 , anybody done this recently and thoughts of the major difficulties experienced . Seems that if Airbus said black , boeing said white. If Boeing said Ball airbus said Square blah blah.
Please no Boeing or Bus Bashing , just curious what you might have found particularly difficult or interesting.

Happiness is a set of floats and a fishing rod!!!

ACMS
2nd Jul 2007, 03:43
you lucky lucky SOB:ok: Welcome to the 777, best damn aircraft ever invented!! although I am very biased:)

Most people have very little trouble going from Bus to Boeing. The other way around is a lot harder.

have fun

fourgolds
3rd Jul 2007, 10:43
Thanks ACMS . So I am told , nice when life presents us with these type of problems.

Dan Winterland
3rd Jul 2007, 13:28
I went the other way round, 744 to A320 (with a bit of 747 classic thrown in the middle for good measure). There is a bit of black vs white, but things are essentially the same. Bearing in mind my Boeing experience was the 744 which always felt that it was glass grafted onto a classic airframe as opposed to the 777 which was designed as a glass aircraft from the start, this is my take on what I expect you will find.

You will miss the space of the 330. The control column is useless for 97% of the flight and it gets in the way of essentials such as eating and reading the newspaper.

The ACP is called the MCP. At first it looks like an ergonomic disaster for which the design was started at 3pm on a Friday, but you will get to like it. The FLCH (flight level change) button is brilliant, (dial in a new Alt, press the button, sit back and watch) but there is a button marked THR. I knew people with 10,000hrs on the 744 who still didn't know what it was for!

Rather than the FPLAN button, you hav the NAV funtions split up into LNAV and VNAV. They work fine, but you have to refer to two pages for the complete picture. And WRTo vertical functions, there are loads more FMAs. You spend ages learning them and the difference between VNAV and VNAV PATH for example seem slight, but can be significant. (Apparently, Boeing have patented the term VNAV so no other manufacturere can use it!)

The green line on the NAV display is now magenta.

The flight deck is done out in gentle shades of brown - which is more relaxing apparently!

The MCDU screen is just green. No more colour!

NPAs will be more difficult. Watching the Airbus fly a NPA in FINAL APP was a thing of beauty (if you like that sort of thing!). you don't have that ability in the Boeing. You can fly the LNAV part in NAV, but the vertical profile has to be done with V/S.

That's all I can think of right now. Have to go to the pub!

Have fun. :ok: