PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Border Private Hire & Fly SA

AeroBatfink
19th Dec 2001, 01:19
Just to fill you in, I'm from the UK, I did my PPL in SA and I'm going back in May to do my renewal and a few more hours. I'm not sure if anyone who uses this forum has anything to do with private flying in South Africa, but I did a search for this forum, came up blank, and thought I might as well give it a shot anyway...

Anybody got any good advice in connection with taking a hire and fly aircraft over SA's borders, or if it is indeed possible???

My embryo of a plan would be a flight from Jo'burg to Maputo via Swaziland, then up to the southern edge of Zim, via the Kruger, returning via Francistown, Botswana. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Seems a shame to go all that way just to potter around the GF...

The General
19th Dec 2001, 12:00
Aerobatfink
Cross border hire and fly in SA is no problem. It looks like the only problem is finding the info on the web. My suggestion is that you speak to the school that you will be doing your renewal with and they should be able to point you in the right direction. There are numerous schools and clubs that will gladly hire you an aircraft but stick with a reputable one that will be able to help you with the cross border clearances. Also check out the various local flying magazines on offer in SA. They have plenty of adverts for aircraft hire. Sorry no specifics but you won't have a problem when you get there. Just don't go between Xmas and New Year as the SA CAA offices are closed for the festive season.
Good luck and enjoy.
P.S. Try and put Cape Town on your itinary, it's a GREAT destination...especially around this time of year and the weather is better further south. :cool:

B Sousa
20th Dec 2001, 01:31
Take a look at this site (www.hanksaero.com). Give them an email and ask some advice. If I can help, my email address is good......

AeroBatfink
20th Dec 2001, 23:09
Thanks heaps, guys!!

Now I know it's possible, I'll get on with the research and find a hire club that can help me out.

General, I was hoping to get to Cape Town this trip, as I ran out of time while I was doing my PPL etc - I'm looking forward to it even more this time! Abseiling down Table Mountain sounds like an experience...

B - I'll check out Hanks Aeros and give you a shout if I'm struggling to find the info. I'm not going to get there until May so I've got a bit of time to search - I just like to get these sorts of plans sorted out...

:) AB

[ 20 December 2001: Message edited by: AeroBatfink ]</p>