PDA

View Full Version : FCU Bendix Start

WLM
30th Jun 2007, 07:31
Hi Guys
Bought 6 weeks ago a second hand Bendix FCU ex US with 8130 certification as a complete kit to replace our ceco unit. Paid USD15K. When it arrived, it was missing some fitting parts which I had to request again, took another 2 weeks. When installed, the FCU unit was leaking over the starter unit. Sent back for checking by an ovh shop in the US (at seller cost) came back 7 days later, no more leak but now hanging at 50% N1; if I release the ident and pass the click, then the N1 will increase and stabilise at 64%. If we adjust it, it drops down to 58%. Next start it's back at 64% idle...
Then if u slowly open the throttle from idle, it suddenly surges up to 104%N1, then stabilises at 100%.
The engineers are saying this FCU is faulty;if we take it off, and put another FCU on, no starting problem occurs...
I am not getting much help from the seller anymore; Any suggestion?

Heli-kiwi
30th Jun 2007, 07:53
I'd be sending it back to the seller on the basis that it doesn't perform as it should... or get it checked again at an overhaul facility at the sellers expense. If they can get it running problem free on a test rig then it is eliminated from the equation and your problem will be elsewhere. I get the impression that the seller is laying low and hoping you will just go away.
Being what it is I would want to be 100% certain that FCU is good to go....via an overhaul facility.

longbox
30th Jun 2007, 08:26
Hi, you say that if you open the throttle slowly, it rises rapidly to 104% N1, those kind of surges and rises will also give rise to very high torque and TOT, the FCU is a primary engine control, remove and request another unit or your money back, it would also give rise to suspision that the unit is either not overhauled, or was removed from a dubious source of aircraft.:ok:

WLM
1st Jul 2007, 03:26
thanks Guys
Yes I agree this unit should be removed and checked out (again). I wish we could have trustworthy sellers more often, especially when you buy from the USA
It looks like I will have to get this unit overhauled at our cost now as the seller is just not replying to my emails any more
Cheers
WLM

206 jock
1st Jul 2007, 07:22
Name the seller! I presume you're in Europe?

Seriously, there are a lot of crooks in this industry and it's right that we know who we should use when sourcing parts.

I've been nearly burned several times. Let me know and I'll ask around.

HOSS 1
2nd Jul 2007, 09:46
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but..

How about the shop that issued the airworthiness tag on the part? You should be able to contact them and get a copy of all the work orders documenting the work (and bench tests) performed on the unit.

If you find the tag is bogus, contact the FAA. They (and the FBI) would like to have a chat with your seller, I'm sure. You may not get your money back, but you may save someone else from a similar fate.

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/programs/sups/

HO5S-1

WLM
2nd Jul 2007, 13:39
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give another few days for the seller to contact me, after that will probably follow the legal advice as suggested above
Thanks
WLM
206 Jock: we are operating in South East Asia