PDA

View Full Version : doubts about age

D4-CBG
30th Jun 2007, 04:47
Hello friends . I dont know if this the right forum to this question but here it goes.

I started doing psychology last year , but my "dream" was always to become a pilot. Mostly for financial reasons i never joined a aviation school, but know i have a chance to at least start taking lessons and with hard work , in the future maybe check my PC/IFR/MULTI.
Now , i have doubts about my age. Do u think in todays world of commercial aviation its not to late to start? im 24 years old.

thanks in advance

michaelthewannabe
30th Jun 2007, 08:41
hello!

You might get some more knowledgeable answers in the Professional Pilot Training (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14) forum - but from what I can gather, the answer is an emphatic NO!

So go for it, I'd guess you're probably approaching the ideal age range: young enough to have a long flying career ahead of you, old enough to have more of the maturity and stability that the airlines are looking for.

172driver
30th Jun 2007, 08:43
Go for it :ok:

High Wing Drifter
30th Jun 2007, 09:00
24! I started at aged 37 :) Haven't got a job mind, but the training wasn't an issue. Possibly, just perceptions.

maxdrypower
30th Jun 2007, 17:33
Bloody hell , are you kidding 24 or is that a missprint ? Im 38 and doing it so I hope your not too old at 24 , after all you can still join the forces , get sponsorship , or do it yourself and still only be the latter end of 25 , , oh god to be that age again knowing what I know

Kerosine
1st Jul 2007, 00:43
I'm bricking it about being in my second decade, so totally understand your worries about age, but on a more down to earth basis (and after trawling Pprune for the last year) the general consensus is as long as you can get the class one, and you have a good few years left in you, your not too old!

D4-CBG
3rd Jul 2007, 07:56
:)
Thanks very much for the answers everyone. Gave me alot more confidence.

i will look for more opinios in Professional Pilot Training forum as indicated.

nice flights

Life's a Beech
4th Jul 2007, 16:49
We've just taken on a pilot who is 44. It's his first commercial job, although he has been doing aerial work for a while. Oldest I know of was 52 when he went from long-time PPL to finally do his commerial and IR, straight into the right seat of a turbo-prop.

Does that answer the question?

airborne_artist
4th Jul 2007, 19:23
Now , i have doubts about my age. Do u think in todays world of commercial aviation its not to late to start? im 24 years old.A friend of mine joined the Royal Navy at the max age of 25 and 11 months. He joined to fly, and qualified as a Sea King Mk4 pilot.

He now flies LHS for BMI. His job before joining the RN was driving one of these:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/d/d0/Routemaster.JPG