PDA

View Full Version : Last day in the office

endplay
29th Jun 2007, 07:29
This is it. My last day after 39 and a bit years. I've enjoyed it for the most part and for those remaining, stay safe and get as much out of it as you can.

That's it. The end.

startermotor
29th Jun 2007, 07:40
All the best in whatever you choose to do, or just chill out in retirement

teeteringhead
29th Jun 2007, 07:48
Well done that man! :ok:

...and remember the philosophy of the Kit-Kat advert of a few years ago:

Nobody's last words were ever: "I wish I'd spent more time in the office!"

It's Not Working
29th Jun 2007, 09:13
Well done, congratulations and thank you for whatever it is you've done to make my time in light blue and purple as enjoyable as it's been.

Good luck.

(30 months and counting.)

Gainesy
29th Jun 2007, 09:16
Well done, but don't forget its POETS day.:ok:

demobcurious
29th Jun 2007, 09:37
Welcome to the world outside.

You're going to like it here :)

Len Ganley
29th Jun 2007, 12:04
endplay.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do on the outside.

38 weeks to do.:)

Dave Angel
29th Jun 2007, 12:38
All the best mate.:ok:

OpsMan38
29th Jun 2007, 12:44
And 11 days to go till terminal exit date......:}

A2QFI
29th Jun 2007, 13:45
I left the RAF twice and didn't regret it once! Keep busy in retirement - Boredom is the death of Old Men!

foldingwings
29th Jun 2007, 15:14
39 years done (20 on fast jets, the rest at various desks/ops) and now one month into retirement.

I agree, don't look back with other than a contented smile and step out into this new life experience.

But for Christ's sake, don't spend all your days moaning on PPRuNe about how it was never like this in my day. If you look outside the window, the grass probably needs cutting, which is a much better way of spending any idle moments that might come your way, rather than self-aggrandising here!

Sorry, must dash - it's just stopped raining!:)

FoldingWings

Union Jack
29th Jun 2007, 16:59
I left the RAF twice and didn't regret it once!

Presumably that was the second time ....

Jack

PS With best wishes, and of course to Endplay, who must have started quite young, and noting his echoes of another less distinguished retiree!

ATCO Fred
29th Jun 2007, 17:51
Top tip to anyone leaving any time soon. What with JPA roll out there have been many instances of the Termination of contract not being actioned by PMA. I wondered why I recieved a full months pay in my last month to discover that I had not been terminated and my pension and gratuity NOT processed (despite exhaustive checking and proactive activity by myself). Check your contract in your area on JPA and make sure the date listed matches your option date.

I'm one of 3 (that I know) that this has happened to (and 3 terminated who weren't leaving?) and according to discharges at PMA the whole termination process is 'ahem' less than perfect. Looks like it may be up to 6 weeks after exit that I get my gratuity!

Fred.

MrBernoulli
29th Jun 2007, 21:28
Charge the F*****S interest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

funflier44
30th Jun 2007, 00:03
Left in April after 42 years and believe me I have not missed it - too busy!!

I had a great time, did some wonderful things, saw some wonderful places and met some great guys (and girls) but there is more to life than work.

There really is life outside and time to "smell the roses".

Oh and JPA sucks, still having trouble with it, nothing changes.

Front Seater
30th Jun 2007, 10:46
Endplay,

Well done-and you must have some really mixed emotions. Did the 'company' appreciate you during your final days as you were obviously leaving with much corporate knowledge in your brain. Are you all sorted for a job or just going to kick back and chill.

Gnd
30th Jun 2007, 11:09
Well done but I am sad that the 'invisible faces' made you work your last day on a Saturday, no justice in this world!!!:p

samuraimatt
30th Jun 2007, 11:12
made you work your last day on a Saturday

He posted this thread yesterday. I think you will find that was Friday.:ok:

Thud_and_Blunder
30th Jun 2007, 13:13
Funflier44,

Am reading this while sitting in Gamston's lounge, waiting to see if anyone needs the yellow Bolkow and its paramedics this afternoon. Having noticed the location in your sig, I'll see if I can pop over your way for a friendly wave next time we get a shout.

Thud (only 26 years RAF plus 2 in the army).

Gnd
30th Jun 2007, 19:12
Dam and I thought I had uncovered yet one more inconceivable injustice!!!:O

Pontius Navigator
30th Jun 2007, 20:00
My last week, at their convenience, was arranged so I could do a proper handover. My replacement had swanned off on leave and I had been rostered for a night shift all week with my last day the Friday after a Thursday night.

I told the idiot who had rostered me to stick it where it was very dark!

I don't recall anyone really saying good bye; I was not sorry as I don't like that sort of fuss.

samuraimatt
30th Jun 2007, 21:40
I don't recall anyone really saying good bye

At your age I don't suppose you recall much at all these days. Anyway do you think they might have been trying to tell you something?:E

Black 'n Yellar
1st Jul 2007, 03:08
samuraimatt
I have been reading posts on this forum for a while now, and observed the petty squabbling and bitching that goes on, but rarely have I been moved to post a reply. However, reading the crass, flippant comment that you posted has my blood boil. No matter who this person is, no matter what he has done, Endplay has dedicated his life to the service of his country, and for that we should be grateful. Maybe it is being here in the US and seeing the great respect that they have for their service personnel and then reading a sh**y comment like that, but whoever you are, you’d better have a good alibi because I don’t think you are fit to lick his boots. I think an apology is in order.

BEagle
1st Jul 2007, 06:08
If you take a look at 'Find more posts by samuraimatt', you will see that he contributes nothing to this forum. Just puerile sniping and childish comments of no substance - not even banter.

Why are such people tolerated on this forum?

Perhaps the moderators should review his membership.

Jaguar Pilot
1st Jul 2007, 15:50
samuraimatt

Do something useful in life :mad:hole

JP

Echo 5
1st Jul 2007, 18:51
This is part of the text from a samuraiprat post on 25th July 2006.
Hello again. How do you know abiw is in Norway? Do you know him? Sorry if my questions seem a little intrusive but I am just trying to get things straight in my head before i commit to a career in the RAF.
Strange that someone with no military experience ( or so it would appear ) finds that he is able to post comments on such a wide range of subjects. He probably spends a lot of time in the Public Library.

BEagle is right, his membership should be reviewed. I think he has been reprieved once already.

BTW samuraiprat ..........you still owe the guy an apology.:=

wokkameister
1st Jul 2007, 21:44
Good luck. I can't wait to become a civilian.

Samaurai Matt

You are still a dick. Suggest you try putting the Rainbow DVD back in the box and going to bed. It's way past your bedtime!

WM

endplay
2nd Jul 2007, 10:19
Thank you for the kind messages and, without wishing to start a blog, I intend to take a year out; to sort out the house and garden having beanied for the last 18 months- take in a holiday (or 2) then see how the world looks from my new vantage point.

As for today being the first day not in the office I can honestly say that it is a strange but good feeling.

I wasn't abused in any way by working on my last day. That's the point; it was the last day at work not the last in the RAF and I was only there saying goodbye and destrying any evidence that might be used against me later.

samurait. If you're in - get out. If you're thinking of joining - don't. Nothing personal but you're clearly not suited to the military life and if you make as many enemies in the real world as you seem to on this "virtual" one then you really don't want to be working with people who have guns!

Front Seater
2nd Jul 2007, 12:59
Endplay,

I like the cut of your cloth - I may be in touch in the next few months as I come to the end of my 22 years - not for jobs or re-settlement info, but purely how the whole transition to civvie street went with any top tips.

ATCO Fred
1st Aug 2007, 11:37
What with JPA roll out there have been many instances of the Termination of contract not being actioned by PMA. I wondered why I received a full months pay in my last month to discover that I had not been terminated and my pension and gratuity NOT processed

I'm one of 3 (that I know) that this has happened to (and 3 terminated who weren't leaving?)
Looks like it may be up to 6 weeks after exit that I get my gratuity!
Fred.
All - a postscript to the above. Having identified an error it took 1 day to get JPA to terminate me and 3 days to get confirmation from Glasgow on monies owing. Gratuity was paid 10 working days after termination - all in all a relatively swift response.:D:D

A quick Q about pensions though. My understanding is that (for AFPS 75) your pension on leaving at age 38 remains constant until aged 55. At 55 your pension raises to the rate that someone of the seniority you had at age 38 is currently receiving - I.E. 17 years of inflation. From their on your pension is incremented yearly in line with inflation.
Would ask PSF but I know you guys are more expert in this field than they are.

Cheers

Fred.

Wader2
1st Aug 2007, 11:59
At 55 your pension raises to the rate that someone of the seniority you had at age 38 is currently receiving - I.E. 17 years of inflation

I think I know what you mean and if so that is right :)

It is YOUR pension NOW that will be uplifted by inflation. At the moment that is against the Cost of Living Index which is much lower than wage inflation.

From, I think, 2010 the state pension will be tied to the Wage Inflation figure. What the service pensions are tied to I do not know.

Assuming a nominal pension of £10k paid now and an inflation rate of 2% you would receive £14k when you are 55 and this would then continue to get uplifted bsed on the index in Sep. On past form this means that it would buy less than £10k would buy now. With the new indexing it might be better.

6Z3
1st Aug 2007, 12:00
ATCO Fred,
My understanding is that (for AFPS 75) your pension on leaving at age 38 remains constant until aged 55. At 55 your pension raises to the rate that someone of the seniority you had at age 38 is currently receiving - I.E. 17 years of inflation. From their on your pension is incremented yearly in line with inflation.

Correct, as far as I believe. Perhaps worth mentioning Resettlement Commutation. If you elect to Resettement Commute, you can buy an enhancement to your lump sum (Terminal Grant) to make it equal to that which someone retiring at 55 would get. In return, you would get a somewhat reduced pension until you reach 55, whereupon your pension returns what it would be if you hadn't commuted, and index-linked (only got O level English, sorry)

Chainkicker
1st Aug 2007, 15:53
6Z3 said:Correct, as far as I believe. Perhaps worth mentioning Resettlement Commutation. If you elect to Resettement Commute, you can buy an enhancement to your lump sum (Terminal Grant) to make it equal to that which someone retiring at 55 would get. In return, you would get a somewhat reduced pension until you reach 55, whereupon your pension returns what it would be if you hadn't commuted, and index-linked (only got O level English, sorry)
Spot on 6, Left last year with maximum commutation of pension as gratuity is tax free (as opposed to the pension which is taxed) as it was slightly better financially for me. At age 55 my pension will increase by all the 2 or 3% annual increases between the year I left and when I reach 55 so i can expect approx a 25% increase in my monthly stipend...That will of course be taxable but dont forget if you're trying to decide if you can exist on the pension, it is not subject to NI deductions (though you may wish to purchase NI stamp contributions for the state pension). Someone with more knowledge of the state pensions situation may be able to confirm or reject this assumption :)

ATCO Fred
1st Aug 2007, 21:19
Okay - still with you.

But - if you have done the max commutation thing - when you hit 55 is it the full pension (plus inflation rises from before) that you revert to?

Fred

Chainkicker
1st Aug 2007, 21:40
Yes Fred, that is my understanding. At age 55 you should get your jump to the full pension rate for your rank/seniority, with all the annual percentage rises included since you initially left the mob :)
This of course only applies to AFPS 75. No such thing as commutation under the lovely (not) new scheme...

oxoneil
2nd Aug 2007, 06:54
Yes you will find it's a big increase. I was working with an ex matelow and when he reached 55 his monthly pension went up ~60%. A nice thought.