PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes Airways

Stratocaster
11th Dec 2001, 21:34
Current fleet:

One B707-379C (msn 19821/ln 718), registered 5X-GLA, but it's primarily a Ghanean company. Apparently flies for Royal Jordanian between Maastricht and Amman.

Anybody knows more ???

Boss Raptor
12th Dec 2001, 15:35
Man behind it is a Belgian 'Capt. Steenacres' - well known at Ostend and has been with Scibe and Rwandair in recent years...

Aircraft was/is? only Stage 2 and therefore will be banned from Europe as of April 2002.

Stratocaster
12th Dec 2001, 17:08
I see...

Would Royal Jordanian do business with them even though the acft is going to be banned in Europe soon ? Might be...

What's the link between Steenacres and Ghana ?
:confused:
The acft used to be registered there before the 5X- registration: 9G-OLF, 9G-ONE, and then 9G-WON, but I can't find who operated it. Steenacres ?

Thanks for the info.

[ 12 December 2001: Message edited by: Stratocaster ]

Boss Raptor
12th Dec 2001, 18:57
The aircraft was with DAS Air Cargo for many years - hence staying on the Ugandan register under which its' grandfather rights to continue operating to Europe Stage 2 are based (lastly seen in the colours of Allied Air a DAS subsiduary).

No doubt RJ have an attractive ACMI rate and contract 'til April 2002 and like most charterers will take advantage of this as long as pos. until they have to pay more for Stage 3...

Ghana?, no idea...it was on the 9G reg. with a company called Phoenix before being bought by DAS in the early 90's and reregistered to Uganda - dont think its' past life has any connection to the present question.

Had heard that the Ugandan 'host' AOC was 'Alexandra Aviation' or something similar...

[ 12 December 2001: Message edited by: Boss Raptor ]

The Guvnor
13th Dec 2001, 16:24
Curiouser and curiouser ... Alexander Aviation belongs to the brother in law of the Ugandan President, and was very active in operating 'agricultural' flights to Kisangani and a couple of other interesting spots, mainly with unmarked IL76s belonging to Air Cess.

Phoenix Aviation of course is the much lamented :D CB-J, late of SEN and currently c/o Her Majesty.

RJ had a couple of 707s that they operated to MST - however I understand that they were due heavy checks which are not economic so they have dumped them.

Stratocaster
5th Jan 2002, 19:30
I hear that Great Lakes wants to start cargo ops between Dakar, Marseille and Chatauroux.

danniel
2nd Aug 2002, 14:19
5X-GLA was seen in Romania, on Otopeni airport. Does anybody know more on that?

danniel
2nd Aug 2002, 14:48
does anybody know what is with Great Lakes A/w, flyng from Romania OTP to Uganda Entebe? Where was last seen this company? Is the actual owner pilot Brian Martin? Who is behind that and what kind of cargo thas it have?