PDA

View Full Version : Fat Gordons Message on Defence

XV208 SNOOPY
28th Jun 2007, 12:15
I see the BBC are reporting that in Gordons new goverment, Des Broooon not only retains his job as Defence Minister, but also gains Scotland! :ugh::eek::confused:

What does that say about Gordons attitude to the UK military, if he thinks his minister of defence has got time on his hands to also look after the Scottish portfolio??? :mad::mad::mad:

Has some one not told him we are fighting in foreign lands, or has Gordon got plans we are not aware of yet?

:ugh::ugh:

Not_a_boffin
28th Jun 2007, 12:16
So now we know. Such high priority does Gordon have for defence that he's double-hatted Dopy Des as Minister for the Jockonauts......or should that be Browne-hatted?

Absolute disgrace.

Widger
28th Jun 2007, 12:23
You beat me to it. Absolute disgrace, mind you, Scotland has a bigger budget than Defence.

P45s anyone?

Prime minister: Gordon Brown
Chancellor: Alistair Darling
Foreign Secretary: David Miliband
Home Secretary: Jacqui Smith
Health: Alan Johnson
Schools and children: Ed Balls
Innovation, universities and skills: John Denham
Justice: Jack Straw
Commons leader: Harriet Harman
Defence and Scotland: Des Browne
Int Development: Douglas Alexander
Work and Pensions: Peter Hain
Northern Ireland: Shaun Woodward
Chief secretary to the Treasury: Andy Burnham
Cabinet office minister: Ed Miliband
Culture: James Purnell
Olympics: Tessa Jowell
Transport: Ruth Kelly
Lords leader: Baroness Ashton
Attorney General: Baroness Scotland
Environment: Hilary Benn
Chief Whip: Geoff Hoon
Business and enterprise: John Hutton
Duchy of Lancaster: To be confirmed
Communities: Hazel Blears

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/inline_dashed_line.gif

fantaman
28th Jun 2007, 12:26
We must be the only country not to have a minister dedicated to the armed forces, absolutely shocking :mad:

Mr C Hinecap
28th Jun 2007, 12:45
I had to double check that. Is this the start of the Free Scottish Air Force we've heard rumours about for so long? :suspect:

What a poor result and another body blow for MoD.

airborne_artist
28th Jun 2007, 12:56
Does Swiss Des have orders to neutralise Salmond's militia?

Tappers Dad
28th Jun 2007, 13:07
Fantaman
Have you never heard of the Minister of State for the Armed Forces. Adam Ingram MP ???

airborne_artist
28th Jun 2007, 13:17
Defence has always been seen as one of the big four - alongside Home Office, Foreign Office and Treasury. To lump Scotland in with Defence is an admission that, since devolution, Scotland is a part-time job (true, but not easy for Broon to admit to) and that Defence is no longer a full-time job (very strange given the current deployments).

I think it tells us most of what we need to know about the man :ugh:

Sunk at Narvik
28th Jun 2007, 13:26
otoh, does this virtually commit Brown and Browne to building the CVF's in Scotland?;)

An Teallach
28th Jun 2007, 13:32
Either that, or Gay Gordon is going to get Swiss Des to deploy you lot against Alec Salmond, the SNP and Holyrood before the SNP and the electorate of Dunfermline East remove Gay Gordon from his seat!

Squirrel 41
28th Jun 2007, 14:09
First off, this isn't a party-political rant.

But I am disappointed and/or confused: El Gordo last week and this week blathered on about the importance of "a government of all the talents".

And indeed he was semi-publicly rebuffed by Paddy Ashdown....

... which makes you wonder why Des Brooowne, who's principal achievement appears to have been (a small) improvement on the "utterly, utterly useless" BuffHoon is still in the Cabinet?

Let alone getting another half-a-job??!

Is this an indication that El Gordo thinks that there is no talent left in New Labour? Or just that none of them have ever served? Or that he doesn't understand or care less about defence?

... or sadly, a combination of all three...?

S41

airborne_artist
28th Jun 2007, 14:24
Swiss Des may have been seen as a safe pair of hands, but there is also the point that to swap him out (for whom?) could well have been seen as a morale-killer for those serving. What does it say about Defence if the fairly new, and modestly-respected head shed is swapped for a newer, younger model, most of whom are totally lacking in substance.

Roland Pulfrew
28th Jun 2007, 14:38
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

:ugh::ugh:

I am at a loss for words......

Time to go????

:{

Jackonicko
28th Jun 2007, 14:50
Do we assume that Paul Drayson has been left where he is?

Not_a_boffin
28th Jun 2007, 14:57
Jacko

I'd rather assume he's been left in a locked dark room where he can't do any more damage. Unfortunately, I doubt that's the case.....

wokkameister
28th Jun 2007, 14:58
Between political and military leadership, I have got used to looking out for myself and those I work with. I no longer expect any top cover above Stn level.
I would hang on to your P45's though. I don't think the money grabbing git will be in Downing Street long. Not saying the tories are the panacea for defence, just taxed less on our redundancy payments!

WM

brakedwell
28th Jun 2007, 15:02
So a new bunch of incompetents is at the helm. Perhaps they are planning to pull everybody out of Iraq and Afganistan and post them all to Scotland.

Chilli Monster
28th Jun 2007, 15:09
And if you want to leave and get a civil aviation job - you're saddled with Ruth Kelly in the DoT.

B*gg*red either way really!

Tourist
28th Jun 2007, 16:39
You don't think perhaps that you are all jumping the gun on this a bit?

How about we give him a reasonable period of time to either come through for the country, or as many of you (possibly me too) suspect, make a complete arse of it.

It is only right to give him, lets say 6 months, before we decide he is a disaster.

air pig
28th Jun 2007, 16:42
As AA put it,who do you have as political master, Ruth Kelly, Patrica Hewitt Buffhoon back in charge or Ed Balls the PMS little friend. None if this cabal of incompetants have the moral fortitude of any member of HM Forces, and are not even worthy to clean their boots (suspect they make a b**ls up even if they did, and then cry when the SWO made one of their normal forthright comments delivered in the usual manner and would bo***ck them for not calling him or her SIR or MA'AM)

We have to realise most if not all modern politicians are both very underexposed to the real world either being ex local authority, failed lawyers or underwater basket weavers (educators) and have a very high degree or doctorate in mendacity, incompetence and down right dis-honesty. There is very few who I suspect could lie straight in bed let alone tell the truth.

Unfortunately this is the price of living in a "democracy" and not a dictatorship.

The only option is slash the number of MPs by half, reduce their wages by at least 20% and make them turn in receipts for every expenditure over £5.

Browne = waste of space but are the options any better ???

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Two's in
28th Jun 2007, 17:50
What's all the fuss about? It is the considered opinion of everyone on this forum that Des couldn't muck it up any worse than he has so far, just how bad could it get?

Compressorstall
28th Jun 2007, 18:29
At least Gordon has stayed on message - he must have mentioned 'change' as many times as I have to tell Compressorstall Junior to do his homework. Plus he's bringing us something 'new' - standby...

hoodie
28th Jun 2007, 19:13
It is only right to give him, lets say 6 months, before we decide he is a disaster.

6 months is a bit tight. How about we give him 10 YEARS.

Oh we already have...:mad: :{

It's a bit rich trying to pretend all that's gone before was "...nothing to do with me, mate". How thick does he think we are? :ugh:

Always a Sapper
28th Jun 2007, 19:21
First off, this isn't a party-political rant.

But I am disappointed and/or confused: El Gordo last week and this week blathered on about the importance of "a government of all the talents".
And indeed he was semi-publicly rebuffed by Paddy Ashdown....

... which makes you wonder why Des Brooowne, who's principal achievement appears to have been (a small) improvement on the "utterly, utterly useless" BuffHoon is still in the Cabinet?

Let alone getting another half-a-job??!

Is this an indication that El Gordo thinks that there is no talent left in New Labour? Or just that none of them have ever served? Or that he doesn't understand or care less about defence?

... or sadly, a combination of all three...?

Government of all the talents? yer right, more like a pretty poor spoiler attempted by Brown on the Conservative Party and possibly the Lib-Dems as well, and seen through by Menzies and Paddy A....

Give it large about a "government of all the talents", employ a couple of Lib-Dems in Junior Posts where they can't do any real harm to the 'Brown Way' and set up a committee using industry stars, but give it less real power and influence on the 'Brown Way' than the tea lady has and leave the Conservative's right out in the cold...

Then spin it until next year so the great unwashed out there begin to believe the Con's were left out due to incompetence.... if needed, quietly brief against and blame any woe's on the 'non libours' .... and then go to the country.

Brown's been the Chancellor and effectively Blair’s 2i/c for the last 10 years, come to that he has probably been running the country at home for most of that time what with Blair’s liking of International free travel etc. With that thought can anyone think anything will really change for the better?

Another ten years of this lot and it's looking good for Keevil being the only active airfield left....

.... Would the last one out please turn out the lights....

Impiger
28th Jun 2007, 19:21
It could have been worse, no really it could, he could have been Scotland Minister and Secretary of State for Defence. At least the way it is shows which is the secondary duty! Doh

Much on the news channels about this being something of a political blunder as chaps are dying in action!

robin
28th Jun 2007, 20:20
..but missing in all of this is an interesting conflict of interest

As Minister of Defence he can approve plans for the deployment of the Armed Forces and their assets. As Secretary for Scotland he is responsible for the interests of Jockoland

So, when considering the future of, say Devonport vs Faslane, what does he do?

An Teallach
28th Jun 2007, 20:35
I don't know about Faslane, but since Rosyth is within spitting distance of the PM's constituency, I imagine if there's a fight between Devonport and Rosyth, Swiss Des is to do exactly what the PM tells him to do.

Green Flash
28th Jun 2007, 20:49
If he's looking in 2 directions at once then there is a better chance of pulling the wool over his eyes!

By the way Gordo, Broon et al

WE WORK FOR HER MAJESTY QUEEN ELIZABETH THE SECOND.

Not you.

Think about it.

An Teallach
28th Jun 2007, 20:55
<pedant>

Or, if you're a Scotsman or woman: HM Queen Elizabeth.

<\pedant>

Green Flash
28th Jun 2007, 21:01
AT
Point taken:ok: