PDA

View Full Version : PPL Study Help-Midlands

TIMZ
28th Jun 2007, 09:13
Hi All, I've just started my training and I'm studying Air Law. I do have two topics that I feel I need some explanation on. My Instructor is very busy. Anyone out there in the Midlands interested in a session or two of combined studies or revision pls.:)

gcolyer
28th Jun 2007, 09:21
TIMZ

Just post the questions here, you will get a multitude of answers.

TIMZ
28th Jun 2007, 09:30
Can anyone pls explain 'The Quadrantal Rule' and 'Semi Circle Rule'.I'm reading the Jeremy M Pratt Book.Thank you.

Chilli Monster
28th Jun 2007, 10:11
Quadrantal rule (UK):

Levels to be flown by flights OUTSIDE Controlled airspace above 3000ft - mandatory for IFR flights, recommended ONLY for VFR flight. Level chosen is based on Magnetic TRACK, not heading.

(Flight Levels are what you get when you set 1013 on your altimeter).

000-089 - Odd FL's (FL30 (if available), FL50, FL70, FL90 etc)
090-179 - Odd FL's + 500ft (FL35, FL55, FL75, FL95 etc)
180-269 - Even FL's (FL40, FL60, FL80, FL100 etc)
270-359 - Even FL's + 500ft (FL25 (if Available), FL45, FL65, FL85 etc)

This is only applicable below FL195 in the UK.

The only time the above are not mandatory are when operating under the instructions of an ATC unit who may want you to fly at a different level.

Semi Circular rule:

ICAO standard (apart from Italy who have an interesting variation, but that may be for VFR only!) ensuring 1000ft separation between crossing tracks. Again - it's based on magnetic TRACK, not heading.

000-179 - Odd's (FL30, 50, 70 etc)

180-359 - Even's (FL40, FL60, FL80 etc)

This changes above FL290 in non-RVSM airspace (Reduced Vertical Separation Minima) but you don't need that for the PPL.

Kerosine
28th Jun 2007, 11:44
Quadrangle rule

These are standard rules that apply to traffic above 3000ft to lower the risk of collision.

A way to visualise this is road traffic; without this rule, you would pull up at a junction without traffic lights, everyone would be heading in different directions, all being very carefull not to collide (being on the same junction). The quadrangle converts this single junction into a set of bridges at the junction, whereby the direction you're going in decides wich bridge you go on. The bridges keep you seperated by a fixed height vertically so you can cruise through without worrying about colliding with traffic from all directions (or at least not as much)

It basically says that depending on which heading you are on, you should select a certain flight level. This rule only applies below 24000ft, and you should use your discretion in selecting an appropriate flight level.

If you are on a heading of 0-89 degrees, you should select a cruising height beginning with an odd number.
e.g. I am on a heading of 40 degrees at a cruising altitude of 12,000 feet, I should either ascend to 13,000 or descend to 11,000.

Likewise, on headings of 90-179 degrees select an altitude of an odd-thousand plus 500ft.
e.g. I am on a heading of 100 degrees at 12,000ft, so ascend to 13,500ft or descend to 11,500ft.

For 180-269 degrees, select an even-thousand cruising level.
If you are on a heading of 200 degrees at 12,000 feet, relax and have a cup of tea.

For 270-359 degrees, select a cruise level of even-thousands of feet plus 500.
If you are at 12,000 feet on a heading of 350 degrees, either ascend 500 feet or descend to 10,500.

Semicircular Rule

This is to be used above flight level 240 (24,000 ft). It is a simplified version, if you are flying a heading of 0-179, you must select an odd flight level (25,000ft, 27,000ft, 29,000ft etc), when flying a heading of 180-359 degrees you must select an even flight heading (26,000ft, 28,000ft, 30,000ft).

Both of these rules are simply there to make sure that at any given height above 3000ft, you will not find someone at the same height as you coming in the opposite direction!

Just to clarify (as this confused me immensly at first!), you select your cruising height based on your heading, not the other way around.

Hope that helps.

Dave

(Please excuse the lack of distinction between height and altitude)

edited: I started this post at about 10.30am and got distracted, only just finished, apologies for overlap

Chilli Monster
28th Jun 2007, 11:52
Kerosine - that is without doubt the biggest load of incorrect TWADDLE I've ever seen on these forums.

If you can't get certain aspects right - don't answer a question!

1) QUADRANTAL - not quadrangle!

2) It's not 24000ft, it's FL195 (all airspace above that is now class 'C' and is therefore Controlled)

3) It's not based on heading - but magnetic TRACK (learn the difference!)

Read my post - you might learn something (you obviously need to).

gcolyer
28th Jun 2007, 12:32
Don't forget the transition level is not always 3000ft, although most commonly is. Remember high to low down you go, so sometimes terrain can be with in your MSA...thus making the transition level higher...thus making the quadrant you are flying have a few less FL's available.

Rod1
28th Jun 2007, 12:35
TIMZ

Welcome to the mad house. Are you learning at Leicester by any chance?

Rod1

gcolyer
28th Jun 2007, 12:42
TIMZ

Welcome to the mad house. Are you learning at Leicester by any chance?

Rod1

Good one.

TIMZ

I forgot to tell you when i said

Just post the questions here, you will get a multitude of answers.

I mean you will really get a multitude/diverse set of answers. Usualy in the following categories:

1) Total crap
2) Sort of right
3) Sort of wrong
4) Possibly right
5) Possibly wrong
6) Completly unrelated
7) Funny
8) Correct

Have fun.

Whirlybird
28th Jun 2007, 13:05
Remember high to low down you go, so sometimes terrain can be with in your MSA...thus making the transition level higher...thus making the quadrant you are flying have a few less FL's available.

gcolyer,
Have pity on the poor chap/chapess. He/she has just started the PPL; do you really think he'll follow that? I'm an instructor and I had to read it three times. :ugh:

TIMZ,
Madhouse is right, but there are ways through it.

1) If you've been reading PPRuNe, you may know who you can trust to write sense.
2) Look at the person's profile. Chilli Monster is an ATCO, so he knows about this sort of stuff - he has to. And quite a few instructors read this forum. I'm not saying all the PPLs don't know their stuff...but....some don't. :(
3) Ask for clarification if someone tells you "high to low down you go", and you have no idea what they're talking about. We won't mind; we've all been there.
4) Compare what you read with the book and see if it makes sense.

You don't really need groundschool for Air Law; it's mainly rote learning. But if you think you do, I'm sure someone can manage it. Where exactly are you based?

gcolyer
28th Jun 2007, 13:10
gcolyer,
Have pity on the poor chap/chapess. He/she has just started the PPL; do you really think he'll follow that? I'm an instructor and I had to read it three times. :ugh:

Sorry:rolleyes:

Three Yellows
28th Jun 2007, 14:18
TIMZ,

Take my advice - invest in the PPL Confuser.

Bravo73
28th Jun 2007, 15:11
TIMZ,

Send a PM to windriver (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?find=lastposter&t=235389).

He should be able to help you out...

Captain Jock
28th Jun 2007, 16:28
It is a bit disappointing to hear that your instructor seems to be too busy to help.

DX Wombat
28th Jun 2007, 16:35
CJIt is a bit disappointing to hear that your instructor seems to be too busy to help. Rather than a lack of interest it may just be that he or she is being worked hard by the particular Flying School and having to fly back to back lessons - quite possible given the apparent shortage of FIs.

TIMZ
29th Jun 2007, 07:58
Thanks Chilli Monster, Kerosine, Whirlybird for all the explanation and gcolyer for your comments. Really appreciate it. Am able to approach this topic better now.
Three Yellows will invest in Confuser.
Yes, Captain Jock it is exactly what DX Wombat said, my instructor is an amazing guy but extremely busy and yes it is the school givin him back to back lessons.

Greg2041
29th Jun 2007, 22:05
Does anyone known if it is really true that the PPL Confuser contains all of the exam questions?

dah dahdit dah
30th Jun 2007, 13:08
Rather than a lack of interest it may just be that he or she is being worked hard by the particular Flying School and having to fly back to back lessons

I believe I'm learning with the same school as TIMZ and it appears that the instructors are working back to back slots. On good wx days they'll fly all 6 slots without breaks and its difficult to get bookings so I guess they may be short of an instructor or two.

maxdrypower
30th Jun 2007, 14:23
Greg , from my point of view I would say yes , the confuser does contain all the questions and quite a few more besides. From my experience , every question on every exam I took was in the confuser in some guise or another , they wont obviously be word for word but in essence yes they are the same .If you can answer the questions in the coinfuser you can answer the questions on the exam .

BEagle
30th Jun 2007, 15:21
No longer true..........

maxdrypower
30th Jun 2007, 16:09
Not wanting to question you beagle but ,you got any more ?

Greg2041
3rd Jul 2007, 20:11
Did you get a personal reply in relation to Beagle's comment?

Greg