PDA

View Full Version : SA Airline Profits Hit By Sinking Rand

The Guvnor
9th Dec 2001, 15:52
From today's SA Sunday Times:

[quote]Airlines forced into dangerous profit zone as rand bellyflops

AVIATION
By ROGER MAKINGS

THE weak rand is threatening the already marginal profitability of major South African airlines, and fares are likely to increase next year despite hostile trading conditions.

This week BA/Comair issued a profit warning to shareholders and SAA said it was no longer sure it would achieve a targeted R50-million headline profit for this financial year.

Nationwide, the third jet carrier operating SA trunk routes, said fares would have to be increased next year if profitability was to be maintained.

Nationwide chief executive Vernon Bricknell says yields will have to increase by 12.5% to overcome the 41% decrease in the value of the rand against the dollar since the beginning of the year.

"To achieve this we will have to manage our discounted fares carefully and seek a general fare increase," he says.

SAA says it is reassessing its rand/dollar exchange rate for the next financial year.

Richard Forson, SAA's executive vice-president and chief financial officer, said this week: "We will still strive to achieve headline earnings of R50-million but it is going to be difficult. Business travel is declining and the falling rand is not helping our operating costs, of which 51% are dollar-denominated."

Forson says much depends on what happens over the festive season, traditionally a busy time for the airline.

"We have prepared some worst-case scenarios and the necessary corrective action. Primarily we will concentrate on revenue generation as well as cost-cutting."

On the plus side, the airline's 16 new Boeing aircraft are more fuel efficient and do not yet require expensive maintenance, as do the older Boeings in the fleet.

The airline budgeted for R8 to the dollar for this year but this assumption has obviously "been blown out of the water".

"We are reassessing the average level for next year. It is going to have to be significantly higher," says Forson.

He also expects the planned new long-haul fleet to cost that much more, but manufacturers will just have "to put additional items on the table".

He predicts that even more foreign carriers will reassess their operations as South Africans find it increasingly difficult to travel overseas.

Forson says as costs increase due to the falling rand, so revenue generated in foreign countries increases - the one setting off the other.

"Where we do have a problem is when the dollar strengthens against the European currencies such as sterling, marks and franks."

Chris Hoare, commercial executive for Nationwide, said this week: "Costs on leasing, distribution through our Zurich-based reservation system Atraxis, fuel, insurance and maintenance - all dollar-based - have increased, yet the domestic market is shrinking and yields are dropping." He says there is overcapacity in the market and that Nationwide has reduced seats by 28% since the beginning of the year to sustain profitability.

Piet van Hoven, managing director of BA/Comair, warned that discounted fares would be more difficult to come by in the new year.

"They don't help our yields and these need to be boosted." This would not, however, apply to its sister discount carrier, kulula.com

In its warning to shareholders published this week, Comair said the weaker rand, a declining market and overcapacity were creating "adverse trading conditions".

The rand might also have an impact on the number of new aircraft Comair acquires.

It has five 737-400s on order, the first of which arrives next month. "I can't say what will happen, except that we are evaluating the situation."

However, there is also good news. All three men predict that more foreign tourists will visit SA because it is cheaper than destinations elsewhere in the world.

Hoare says sub-Saharan Africa is opening up to SA airlines and that this is providing increased foreign revenue.

"We have also noticed in recent weeks that there is a marked growth in foreign conference and performance incentive business, all of which is helping to cushion losses against the falling rand."

B Sousa
9th Dec 2001, 18:58
11.........11.......11.....Do I hear a 12/1 US....

[ 09 December 2001: Message edited by: B Sousa ]

Speedbird59
10th Dec 2001, 00:08
It's a really very sad situation for a country doing most things right (economically) by western standards i.e falling inflation and consistent growth, however I believe the problem can be summed up in two words - Bob Mugabe.

The sooner that this tyrant is removed from power the better. I don't buy all the talk about emerging markets like Argentina dragging us down. Less than 10 years ago many predicted civil war in SA and whilst a lot has happened it's a great deal deal better than some predicted. The fact is that no one in SA Government takes a firm stand against Zimbabwe the markets detect this and get scared ( with good reason).

It is a very real possibility that SA could end up like Zim. It hasn't happened yet and it is preventable but for God's sake action needs to be taken as it would be a crime for this great country to go the same way as Rhodesia/Zimbabwe.

Whats happened these last two weeks to the Rand will only continue to happen in the future unless we become more proactive and lead the country to where it can and should be.

[ 09 December 2001: Message edited by: Speedbird59 ]

Chuck Ellsworth
10th Dec 2001, 00:57
Speedbird 59:

I have done a lot of flying in S. Africa and like you I hope such a modern and beautiful country will defy the history of a lot of other African countries and not go back to the stone age.

Unfortunately the recent world wide problems will only make it harder.

Hopefully S. Africa will prevail and become the country it should be.

----------------

:D The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no. :D

PAXboy
10th Dec 2001, 02:41
As a part Brit, part South African, who has lived here and has relatives her going back 180 years and is currently visiting the country (in CPT tonight), I'll venture a comment.

I agree about Mugabe. He has taken Dictatorship to new heights. Let's hope it isn't too long before the syphillis or HIV or whatever he has, cuts him down.

However, as to whether SA can go against the rest of Africa? Sorry, but No. I don't think so. This is Africa and each time I come back to visit, I see more examples of it slipping slowly but surely back into Africa. It is only a question of time.

If you want to deal with the 'new' South Africa, deal with it as you would any other African country.

Speedbird59
11th Dec 2001, 01:08
Here in SA we need an economic miracle or else we are going to have some serious problems the way the currency is going. The high costs incurred in dollers by airlines is simply going to force them to put up their prices and thus force local travellers away from flying which would be a tragedy.

Ironically crude oil prices are lower now than at any time for several years - what a shame we can't feel that benefit here in SA civil aviation. Furthermore just imagine what would be happening if the price of crude was at September 2000 rates.

The awful thing is that ultimately I don't think there's much any one person of even the Government can do other than generate confidence (not that easy if you're licking Mugabe's arse and turning a blind eye as he tries his hand at genocide) Grudgingly I have to admit that yes I do see SA going the same way as the rest of Africa, but it doesn't have to be that way.

If I'm harsh on Mugabe, just imagine if his rhetoric was aimed at black people from a white persons mouth....the world would be up in arms.

PAXboy
11th Dec 2001, 03:42
Looking round SA on this trip, I can see:

SAA - in trouble. Over extended and half way through a replacement programme that might not have been the right choice.

SAX - Not doing particularly well. Their market share is not clearly defined and they are being chased and hounded by:

SALink - Seem to be OK, as long as they are not expanding too fast.

BA/Comair - holding steady but the Rand is not helping.

Nationwide - do not yet appear to have reached a critical mass.

Kulula - Too early to say.

So, who thinks that this country can support six airlines?

FREIGHTMAN
12th Dec 2001, 20:31
You missed out on 2 others. Intensive Air and Sun Air which gets started again in March 2002 !

Stonebird
14th Dec 2001, 20:09
The rand will soon hit $1 = R13.6, having broken through 11.4 (finobacci) and imo it's exactly that - a lack in confidence in the SA government, by loclas and foreigners alike. Note: Not the country, but the government. It's one thing to say, 'blah blah I wuz there and it was nice' or 'yada yada we are a great people', but it's quite another to have ineffective leaders.

Imagine if you were a pax and the Captain was an alcoholic, the cojo had his hands in the duty free, the cabin crew were more interested in themselves (well, no change there I suppose), the financial director was losing control, the maintenance guys weren't allowed the right tools....would you fly with that airline? No - and thats the situation. This government is ineffective and needs changing, no matter how hard it bleats 'apartheid!' or 'racism!' or whatever else.

Or else it WILL become another African basket case.

Just look at the Rand, the crime rate, the unwillingness of the government to abide by the will of the people in matters such as the death sentence, or the aids crisis; witness the arms deal debacle, the continued retention of convicted criminals as MP's...until that changes, people have no confidence, just hope. And when hope flies out of the window..that's it.

The SA economy will have a boost soon, when the gold price goes up because of (flawed) US financial policy. As the world's largest producer of the metal, it stands to benefit immensely from this. As it stands, gold is SA's cushion, fortuitously priced in US dollars. But I suspect that, sadly, we are lacking people in power with the capability to turn this to our most advantage. And those who could have, are now living elsewhere. So, scrub that one, too.

As long as all the nice shiny things are free to those in power, the real things are left unattended until their ultimate decline is a certainty.

This government must change.

Come back and read this again when the Rand hits 15 to the dollar and 22 to the pound and your house is worth as much as a week's underground rail pass

The Guvnor
14th Dec 2001, 20:31
I have a Nedcor report here that says if the Rand breaks the 'support level' of R12.50 = US$1 it will nosedive to R15 within a matter of days unless the SARB reimpose exchange controls.

I remember when I got $1.75 to the Rand!! :eek: :( :eek:

PS - I heard that Mpumulanga is for sale again. Straight swap for a council house in Brixton for the Premier! :D :D :D

PAXboy
15th Dec 2001, 01:04
Thanks Freightman, I saw an Intensive aircraft at CPT yesterday but did not know who they were.

I hope that Sun can make it again as I had the best domestic cabin service EVER. However, as I said, the chances of six carriers surviving, leave alone eight is a hard idea to believe in.

But then ... this is Africa!

By the way, I did a short flip from CPT to GRJ yesterday with Airlink and got one of the new ERJ-135s.

The machine was a delight to travel in. A short snappy run, although we were not full as they are still running the J41 on this route for most rotations and I don't think the booking system has caught up yet.

It was very quiet at all times and I was seriously impressed. The cabin service was obviously very simple for such a short sector but was spoiled by a poor attitude from the member of cabin staff.

Oh well, can't win every time.

[ 14 December 2001: Message edited by: PAXboy ]

Speedbird59
15th Dec 2001, 02:55
Stonebird, your comments are spot on!

I believe it's all down to leadership and the lack of it. Interesting to note that the foreign ministers of all the southern African states felt Mugabe was doing a good job......given such inane offensive drivel I'm amazed the Rand is only 18 to the £ at the minute.