PDA

View Full Version : RAF Seaking lights Q

Gainesy
27th Jun 2007, 11:44
Watching the SAROp in Sheffield t'other day, I noticed that one of the Seakings had a single very bright bluish light (LEDs?) instead of the standard twin white nose lights. Just wondering on the whys and wherefores of this mod?

Door Slider
27th Jun 2007, 11:47
Its just a chaved up Sea King, the plan is to put fluorescent strips under Lynx next :}

c-bert
27th Jun 2007, 12:05
Is that why they are yellow? Trying to mimic the Orange Focus STs?
I bet you could fit a kick-ass sub and amp in the back of a cab.

27th Jun 2007, 13:51
Wow - they are bright if you saw them from Sussex !!:)

samuraimatt
27th Jun 2007, 15:00
Is that why they are yellow? Trying to mimic the Orange Focus STs? Why would a Yellow helicopter mimic an Orange car? You do realise that Yellow is a different colour to Orange. Oh hang on I've got it, you are colour blind so they all look grey to you anyway but that just complicates things even further introducing another colour.

c-bert
27th Jun 2007, 15:08
Why would a Yellow helicopter mimic an Orange car? You do realise that Yellow is a different colour to Orange. Oh hang on I've got it, you are colour blind so they all look grey to you anyway but that just complicates things even further introducing another colour.

Unfortunately your supposition is incorrect. In fact I have perfect colour perception.

Yellow is used to mimic orange because Ford charge a premium for (Electric) Orange which the RAF obviously cannot afford. Insipid Yellow is the nearest (chromatically speaking) and cheapest alternative.

Edited to say, I called ext 6214 but there was no one there by the name of Samurai, Matt or any combination thereof. You, Sir, are a liar.

Edited again because I'm a numpty that can't remember a four digit number.

samuraimatt
27th Jun 2007, 15:25
Yellow is used to mimic orange Okay, what ever you say. Yellow is obviously the new Orange. What GPTN code did you ring?

c-bert
27th Jun 2007, 15:28
Let me guess, the wrong one...?

wokkameister
27th Jun 2007, 19:31
I know exactly how you feel Gainsey. When doing a walkround on the mighty wokka yesterday, I noticed the tail number was in 7 inch lettering, not the 7.15 inch lettering I would have expected.
Also, instead of the plastic bags being behind the seats on the right at Stn 220, they were at Stn 222!

I WANT ANSWERS!

WM

Green Flash
28th Jun 2007, 09:34
Wokka

Don't worry, SOMEONE here will soon give you, and the rest of us, his vast experience and knowledge. He'll be along soon. Any time now. Don't worry. Just wait. Very soon.

c-bert
28th Jun 2007, 10:16
I noticed the tail number was in 7 inch lettering, not the 7.15 inch lettering I would have expected.

Gash! Must have been a 27 cab...:E

The Helpful Stacker
28th Jun 2007, 10:21
It can't have been a 7 Sqn cab as all their tail numbers have black tape over them.:suspect:

AR1
28th Jun 2007, 11:46
Is that why they are yellow? Trying to mimic the Orange Focus STs?
I bet you could fit a kick-ass sub and amp in the back of a cab.

Much closer to the Saxo 'Mango Yellow' than the Focus ST.

TorqueOfTheDevil
28th Jun 2007, 20:56
Yes, saddo geek here, to put all of you out of your misery, just as Green Flash predicted!

Gainesy,

The blue-green light you saw on the Sea King was one of the nav lights, which are always turned on (except when in really thick fog at night!). For some reason, the starboard nav lights on RAF Sea Kings have always had a blueish tinge rather than being plain green. The aircraft would also have had the twin white nose lights you refer to - in fact it would have four on the nose (two fixed, two moveable), like all Sea King 3/3As do - but these are hover/flood lights, not nav lights. You wouldn't have seen these because they're not often turned on by day.

Gainesy
29th Jun 2007, 09:35
Thanks Torque (and you lot for the banter).:)