PDA

View Full Version : Riat 2007 - posts here please

Supermattt
26th Jun 2007, 19:05
Hi,

Does anyone have any tips on camping there?

Cheers
Matt

Wiretensioner
27th Jun 2007, 09:57
Take a tent and hope it does not rain!:cool:

Supermattt
27th Jun 2007, 10:24
Why thanks Wire, I has been planning on going naked and doing a rain dance.

Now the tent is and my parts are covered, anyone camped nefore and have best sites or any other advice? I have a list from Cirencester Tourist Info:

ROYAL INTERNATIONAL AIR TATTOO (FAIRFORD) 14th-15th JULY 2007

CAMPSITES

This list compiled by Cirencester Visitor Information Centre comprises campsites (situated within approximately 15 miles of the Fairford Air Base) and is based on information supplied by site managers. Many of the sites are temporary (indicated by T) and have not been inspected by the English Tourism Council. Overspill land may be used in some cases so PLEASE CONFIRM FACILITIES WHEN MAKING A BOOKING. The V.I.C. cannot accept responsibility for errors. For other information contact Cirencester Visitor Information Centre on 01285 654180.

CIRENCESTER
Abbey Home Farm, Burford Road. 01285 640441/after hours 652808.
Greenfield campsite on organic farm. Basic amenities, compost toilet, cold water. No electric.
£4 per person, children £1. Farm shop and cafe on site. ~Arrival during shop hours only .Tel for opening hours. NO ADVANCE BOOKINGS TAKEN.

Mr D P Bennett, Oakleaze, South Cerney Road, Cirencester, GL7 6HT. 01285 860332 (T)
3 acre site for 55 caravans and tents approx. 8 miles from base. Drinking water available, chemical disposal. No electricity in field. Caravans £8 per night, tents £6 per night.

Thames Head Inn (T)
A433 Cirencester-Tetbury Road. 01285 770259.
Caravan and camping field at rear of pub approx. 12 miles from RIAT. Space for 15 tents and 5 caravans. No electricity, water available. £5.00 per person per night. Breakfast at extra cost.

FAIRFORD
Totterdown Farm, Horcott Road, Fairford, GL74DG. 01285 712639/ 07748828453 (T)
Temporary site on hill adjacent to and overlooking airfield. Unlimited tents. Portaloos, fresh cold water, showers. Also park and view £10 per day. Drinks available during day.
£10 per adult per night, accompanied children under 16 free.

College Barn- campsite on Whelford to Fairford road. 01285 713500 (T)
100 pitches, tents and camper vans only. Flush toilets, hot showers at extra charge. 25mins walk from RIAT. Price on application

LECHLADE

The Trout Inn, Faringdon Road, Lechlade. 01367 252313. (T)
Approx 5 miles from airfield. Toilets/mains water supply/chemical disposal in field adjacent to pub. 20 caravans, 20 tent pitches. £7.50 per unit per night.

Seven Stables, Marston Meysey, Nr Cricklade, Wilts.(Mrs A Jankowski).01793 751053, m:07787 940313 (T)
Four acre temporary site approx. half-mile from airfield with about 100 pitches. Portaloos/cold water.
Breakfast available/Sat evening barbecue. £6 per person per night. Children £3.00

RADCOT
The Swan Hotel, Radcot, Nr Faringdon. 01367 810220 (T)
Island Camping (licensed). Approx 20 miles from airfield. Cold water & toilets available
from
hotel car park. £4 per tent, £6 caravan/ motor home. Food inc breakfast available from hotel.

Thanks
Matt

tradewind
1st Jul 2007, 08:27
EDIT to remove link: UK Airshow Review has more info.

Bagso
9th Jul 2007, 12:34
I don't want to be a doom and gloom merchant but does anybody know what condition the car parks are currently like at RAF Fairford re the recent heavy rain ?

Given what happened at Waddington and the cancellation of a few other regional concerts and County shows because the car parks are under water I just wondered if anybody can give a bulletin ?

I am thinking of the one at the East End which is 4/5 feet down below the level of the road.

davepearsall
14th Jul 2007, 21:32
conditions were fantastic today, althoughain is ecpected 2moro. had a really good day :p

GK430
15th Jul 2007, 13:19
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/Tbirds.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/LeadSolo.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/Thunderbird4.jpg

Bagso
15th Jul 2007, 15:53
nice shots.....

AWYRCYMRY
15th Jul 2007, 17:06
Well yesterday was a great day, i have the sun burn's to prove it hehehe, not happy that the B-52 had tech prob's ahhh well it was still a grand day, see ya all next year

Supermattt
15th Jul 2007, 19:17
Another super RIAT!!! Anyone know what happend to the Indian Su-30?

It started displaying, went into the cloud and that was it?!?!?

Cheers
Matt

EGTE
15th Jul 2007, 21:21
The commentator explained that the SU-30 was not cleared for a display. It therefore only performed two "circuits". :ooh:

Wycombe
15th Jul 2007, 22:14
Went today (Sun), wx not great but much better than the torrential downpours forecast.

Great day as usual, but thought the Thunderbirds were a big disappointment - yes, lots of noise (when they were actually in front of the crowd), but nothing like as dynamic as the Reds or the Frecce.

B1 seemed a bit navigationally challenged - announced "running in from the East", then promptly appeared almost due South of the field and had to be told not to overfly the crowd :eek:

Display highlights - RAF Chinny, Alan Wade in the Firefly, Swiss & Finnish F18's, FRA Falcons and "Black Sea Hawks" (but should be good as most of them are ex-Reds!)

Also my first look at the RAF "Role Demo" - looked good, and liked the "message" that went with it aswell. Best bit was watching the F3's trying to close-in turn with the "baddie" Hawks ;)

c-bert
16th Jul 2007, 07:16
Went on the Sat. Great day in total although I agree the Thunderbirds where a bit of a disappointment. Wish the wx had been good for them so we could have compared them like for like with the Reds.

Top display by the 18 boys though! :ok:

boogie-nicey
16th Jul 2007, 09:31
Had a right nightmare driving in the 2hr+ traffic queue. Surely having more than one entrance into the car parks would help the flow of traffic rather than the bottleneck that formed.

Ended up missing a great deal of the otherwise excellent show, loved the Sukhois from the IAF got to walk upto it, touch it and talk at length to the crews - GREAT !!! ;):ok:

XV277
16th Jul 2007, 09:38
Difference between the Reds and the Thunderbirds is shown in the name - the Reds are 'The RAF aerobatic team', the Thunderbirds the 'USAF Demonstration team'.

Netman
16th Jul 2007, 10:09
We got to Letchlade in plenty of time on the red route. Then 4 hours later we finally got in to RIAT. It's a shame that the organisers of the parking could see that opening other gates might ease the congestion.

We missed the best part of the show. However the Red Arrows made up for most of it.

Oh... Did anyone see any UK heavy left aircraft C130J, VC10, C17, Nimrod?

We're going to have to plan a different angle of attack next year :ugh:

c-bert
16th Jul 2007, 10:17
I think half the problem was that due to the wx forecast on Sunday more people turned up on Sat than expected.

I suspect the RAF's heavy lift capability is away on ops at the moment!

Wycombe
16th Jul 2007, 10:40
No queues at all on the Blue Route Sunday morning. Left the A419 at 7.45 and was walking in through the gates by 8.05 :ok:

paulc
16th Jul 2007, 11:06
Went Saturday - drove straight into car park which was fine. Stood in queue for just over an hour until gates opened at about 7:25am.
Through the security check fairly quickly and into the show.

Static display was ok but usual comments that aircraft were too close together, too many cones and obstructions in front. Many of my pics have at least 1 blue cone or more.

Toilets seemed to be in 2 or 3 big blocks at certain point rather than small units more evenly spread - long queues resulting.

Flying display was average with a couple of gaps - Reds are still the class act when it comes to formation aeros but the frecce do have a more flamboyant style. Thunderbores says it all - close formations but spent most of the time in a diamond 4.

F18 demos probably the best of the bunch along with Dutch F16 (nice use of flares - just wish I had been ready for it)

Getting out was not too bad - queued in the field / car park for about 35 mins (7:30ishpm) then directed back into field for another exit to A419.

Good day overall - not sure I would hae parted with £37 for it though.

GK430
16th Jul 2007, 13:46
Bite the bullet, get a slot and fly-in;)

I have in the past, but they were full up this year.
It didn't look so full on Saturday though.

Did the Oasis 744 arr on Sunday?

Wycombe
16th Jul 2007, 16:15
Yes, it did, and it looked massive on it's first flythrough (at 300' I think).

Bagso
17th Jul 2007, 17:27
yes it did .......

Infact asked Crew Captain why take a risk coming if say aircraft was to go tech..

...he mentioned the hideous charges parking at LGW all day was worth the risk...!

roQue
17th Jul 2007, 22:02
why the Russian weren't there showing off their SU-35/37?
well still worth the money.. the might reds were amazing, one of the thunderbird's female pilot crossed the spectators line just above me low level, it was awesome.. i quite enjoyed the sunday show.. but heard the saturday show was much better..

Liney Steve
20th Jul 2007, 22:13
Only one of the Pilots is an ex Red and also one of the engineers is an ex Red.

Wycombe
20th Jul 2007, 23:02
...I was referring to the Falcons and the Hawks. Believe one of the Falcons was driven by a very recent ex-Red also.

Anyway, my main point was that they looked very good :ok:

REF
23rd Jul 2007, 18:03
My RIAT Fairford 2007 photos are here (http://www.richardflagg.fotopic.net/c1328594.html)

Let me know what you all think

Richard

Supermattt
24th Jul 2007, 16:03
Ahh a B-1 doing a tight low turn in the mist...absolutely superb!! Was that from the Sunday...it is a candidate for my favourite RIAT 2007 moment.

Wicked pictured cheers
Matt

Wycombe
24th Jul 2007, 16:55
....you mean that moment on Sunday when he nearly overflew the crowd after approaching from the South :=