PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 'Air Clues' from Nov.1968

Jhieminga
26th Jun 2007, 18:19
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, or perhaps unearth the magazine in question from a storage location, but I'm looking for a copy of 'Air Clues', specifically the November 1968 issue. More specifically I'm interested in a Flight Safety article in there named 'Not So VC Tender'. The index for vol 23 of Air Clues says it's in there, so it must be so, right? I've never seen the issue or article itself but my deranged mind has convinced me that I want to. Wondering why? Have a look at the website link in my profile.

I'm not after a physical copy of the magazine, a scan will do if anyone is willing to scan it for me. Thanks!

This is a cross post from this topic in Aircraft History & Nostalgia (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=281553).

wokkameister
26th Jun 2007, 18:21
Good Luck!

I only have October and December 1968 unfortunately!

WM

John Farley
26th Jun 2007, 19:32
Got all excited because I thought I had it then realised mine was from 1958

engoal
26th Jun 2007, 20:22
Try the Trenchard Hall Library at Cranwell, contact details via http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcranwell/contactus.cfm. It's probably better to write as the phone number may only get you as far as the MoD operator. They have got copies of Air Clues going back to the year dot, and may copy the article that you seek if you ask them nicely and/or offer a small donation to the RAFBF.

Pontius Navigator
26th Jun 2007, 21:04
What do you think the article is about?

Is it about the VC10 that got a way off track?

The Swinging Monkey
27th Jun 2007, 06:34
You could also try the library at the IAM at Farnboro'

I was there a few years ago, and they claim to have a copy of every 'RAF' publication ever produced! a big claim but worth a try.

Jhieminga
27th Jun 2007, 08:12
What do you think the article is about?

Is it about the VC10 that got a way off track?

I'm not sure yet what the article is about, but it is not the one that got lost heading towards Greenland. I've got that one and posted it on my site yesterday when forget asked about it here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=281553

The article on my website can be found here: http://www.vc10.net/History/incidents_and_accidents.html#Navigation_error_over_the_North _Atlantic

Thanks for the tips all!

OKOC
27th Jun 2007, 11:06
You could also try the Defence Academy library at shrivenham which has a large collection of Military History books/journals etc. What is of interest in that particular issue BTW

Archimedes
27th Jun 2007, 17:11
Have been in to said DA library this afternoon...

The piece is a short paragraph:

"Not so VC Tender!

A VC10 was carrying out an ILS approach prior to a roller landing during a conversion sortie. When it reached 400ft on finals with the IAS at 135kts there was a very loud band, the aircraft began to vibrate severely and the pilot noticed a tendency for the starboard wing to drop. The aircraft began to accelerate, and despite a reduction in power the airspeed remained high until the runway threshold was reached"

Wg Cdr Spry's comments then follow.

" A most unnerving experience! The captain quite rightly made the landing final and took the VC10 back to dispersal for inspection. To everybody's surprise, there were no signs of damage anywhere on the airframe, which was subjected to a microscopic examination...

... At the time of the incident there was also a Belfast in the circuit and it had made an approach some minutes earlier. Thus the VC10's experience could only be ascribed to the presence on the approach of slowly-decaying turbulence from the Belfast..."

Wg Cdr Spry went on to add a couple of lines about turbulence in general, then a Board of Trade Info Circular on turbulence caused by large aircraft.
There are no photos or illustrations accompanying the piece; the only photo on the page in question is in a piece called 'Spare My Moustache, please' and is of the fin of a Canberra post-bird strike and a cartoon of Wg Cdr Spry ripping his moustache off in rage at the pilot's foolishness for continuing the NAVEX after the bird strike because he couldn't see any damage .

Jhieminga
27th Jun 2007, 19:35
Thank you very much for that Archimedes! Much appreciated!

To be honest it was mainly my curiosity that made me want to see the article, but I do collect all kinds of VC10 related stories for my website so I figure the two together make a valid reason. As I named my website 'A Little VC10derness' after one of the old BOAC slogans the title of this article also raised my interest as I figured it might be some old experience that belied the advertisement campaign. Might have made for an interesting angle but it seems that there's no denying the charms of the type ;)

I'll have a think on whether I'll include it in my site. I could work it into a short bit somewhere I guess.