PDA

View Full Version : Just a question

bigjarv
23rd Oct 2001, 16:15
I'm in the UK and cant afford to do the UK CPL cause it is stupidly expensive! I still want to fly and so I am considering an SA CPL (almost affordable!)! I was just wondering how much work is out there and what kind of job I can expect on what type of aeroplane when I finish my trainning? Just keen to find out the options to see if it is a good route. Also any recommendations on flight schools?

Hope someone can help me! Thanx guys and girls!!! :D

DownIn3Green
24th Oct 2001, 06:33
I don't know all the ins and outs but there are schools in the USA offering JAA/JAR licenses.

Also, the FAA Licenses are pretty inexpensive compared to others.

Beware, however, that an FAA license without right to work in the USA is as usless as a UK ATPL without the right of abode in Europe...

Good Luck...

FuelFlow
24th Oct 2001, 09:23
I believe that Flight Training College of South Africa, based at Grand Centarl Airport, Johannesburg, offer a JAA licence. www.ftc-sa.com. (http://www.ftc-sa.com.)
I would really recommend you stick with a JAA licence. It can always be used in Africa!!!!

dynamite dean
24th Oct 2001, 21:29
Ftc are good very good.Just be very careful of the chat I always seem to get to hear.

1.FTC are STILL waiting for final approval for the JAR license.

2.I America the schools there aviod terms such as "guranteed" and there are some aspects which regarding the license that My home country CAA don't like.

3.I know cos I have done it the hard way and found out!

4. My reccomendation is actually a nice sleepy school in George with pretty scenery www.flightschool.co.za (http://www.flightschool.co.za)

5.Ther JAR supposedly at FTC is not much cheaper than England after everything else. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

senkrcha
24th Oct 2001, 23:18
I am thinking about doing the same thing. I am a PPL with about 300 hours and will probably train in SA - I understand from my enquiries that the quality of the training is as good as the price.

I am currently living in Africa and would like to stay if there was some kind of work somewhere here for a newly qualified CPL. So I have the same question, what work is out there these days ?

Incidentally Transport Canada say they will "issue a Canadian licence" for the same valid licence from a contracting member state of ICAO plus a fee CAD 45 and a medical.

dynamite dean
25th Oct 2001, 17:02
Possibilities are

Instructing, Bush flying, charter, glider towing, etc...Work permits thats the bummer takes approx 2-3 months if one day you got that far I'll fill you in.

My "reccomendation" they have a turbine course so at the end of the 6 months on turbines you have a good chance of a job.Again I don't have crystal ball but one cannot procrastinate about the what if's they are endless.What I do know with the right attitude and tenacity like myself then most things are within reach.Don't listen to negative folks set your goal and go for it.
:) :) :)