PDA

View Full Version : RAGING INSTRUCTOR

DreamMachine
21st Oct 2001, 21:29
I hear that the raging instructor from Namibia has hit another pilot in the sim. Only difference is, this guy has decided to take legal action.

Its about time ! I only hope it brings an end to an incredibly unprofessional and violent approach to airline pilot training.

May sim sanity be restored !!! The Nationwide guys will love this !

soggyboxers
22nd Oct 2001, 00:28
I've no idea who the guy is but he's not fit to instruct. Any instructor or training captain who ever uses violance or rage against a student or exam candidate (except to save his life or the aircraft!) shouldn't be in any cockpit, whether real or synthetic, in any capacity.

AltoAdige
24th Oct 2001, 05:27
While training for my flight instructor cert. I was verbally threatened and hit on several occasions when i would fly one knot off the assigned speed. Funny thing is that the pilot hitting me was 103lbs and im 205...i couldnt believe how brave this guy was!

FuelFlow
24th Oct 2001, 09:27
I thought he had been tamed a long time ago. Been with him in the box before, can understand how someone would like to take legal action against him.

I was under the impression the CE had stopped using him for their ratings.

Any Nationwide guys care to comment.

FREIGHTMAN
25th Oct 2001, 20:38
The Notorius Namibian is unfortunately still terrorising pilots, but not at Nationwide anymore. They finally woke up and realised that their drastic turnover of crews was due to, among other things, very unprofessional training. Sadly they only learned after losing some good guys.

Apparently he is back in Namibia and doing training for Air Namibia. They must be desperate.

It is a shame that a guy like that can keep instructing when clearly he lacks the skills necessary. Anyone who has been in the sim with him will tell you, he just ain't up to proper sim training. Sad that there are so few instructors out there that airlines need to resort to that standard.

What goes round, comes round !!

klap
27th Oct 2001, 11:40
At last someone is taking him to court! There are many of us at Nationwide (or ex Nationwide) who wish we had done just that.
Let's hope the CAA take firm action too.

DreamMachine
28th Oct 2001, 15:25
I think Freightman hit the nail on the head. What goes round comes round. I only hope the man himself gets to read this thread because I'm sure he thinks his method of instruction is just fine.

Pity there isn't a better system for evaluating airline instructors to ensure that professional standards are maintained - Some of the horror stories associated with this guy highlight that professional standards monitoring in pilot training is really lacking in some airlines.

Jam Doughnuts
30th Oct 2001, 00:13
This guys is definitely not the only ringpiece out there who decided long ago that CRM and civility is not for them and that shouting is the only way.!!!.... I have personally flown with this Dr Jekyl type... gives avaition a bad name, and destroys the confidence of the newcomers and wannabee's with his impatience and attitude, because they are not up to his so called standard...
well the truth is they never will be, coz they got 100's to his 10000's of hours...but no matter how you try talking to these guys they will never admit they have a problem, won't believe in giving the new guys a break or give em a hand, believe they are always right... and watch out captain marvel.....just take a read of any of the black box series to see the personalities there in black and white..... they seem to all have forgotten that once they had 200 hrs and a CPL and knew less tha F$#k all about flying... the idea is for flying to be enjoyable hard work....... how would you feel if the CFI did the same number on you ?? made you feel so stupid because you didnt know the answer to this question or that question and when ever you are questioned you have a smart answer........ well any ass#@#e can do that sort of thing...but some people remember the smart answers so the next is going to have to be on the numbers or smarter..... how many remember Ray Pike...from the old DCA, I distinctly remember candidates for Initial Instructors rating getting failed every time by this guy....why, because he wouldnt pass anyone first time....on what premis ?? well because he decided he could..... maybe not the same guy doing the sim slapping, but equally in the rare 0.1% of real dickheads that every industry attracts .... :mad: :mad:

Personally lets hang him, good luck to the guy or gal who is suing him... about time these guys wake up.... :D :D :D

FREIGHTMAN
3rd Nov 2001, 19:12
Heard today that he was aboard the Caravan that crashed on take-off at Johannesburg International. It seems unbelievable, but he died with the other 2 crew members !

Enough said

klap
4th Nov 2001, 10:49
Also heard that ***** was one of the 3 fatalities onboard the Caravan II at JNB. If that is true, hopefully the authorities will establish whether or not this was a "Training induced" accident.

[ 05 November 2001: Message edited by: 4HolerPoler ]

Ernesto
5th Nov 2001, 17:02
After reading some of the above comments,I find the taste in my mouth is most unpleasant. This also applies to some remarks in the thread about the crash.

May I express my deepest sympathy to all the families and friends and colleagues of those who lost their lives in this crash.

May I remind some of our younger readers of the old saying "De mortuis, nihil nihi bonum", which means, roughly, if you cannot say something good about the (recently) dead, hou bek toe.

Mindless remarks can cause untold harm to the living.

freightboss
5th Nov 2001, 19:38
For all you *holes out there that did not have the guts to have it out with this guy - he was in a sleeping bag in the back of the aircraft...

Had he been in a seat, he probably could have made a difference. Think about those he left behind, wife, children and other family...

How would your feel at a time like this...

Just pray it doesn't happen to you. :mad:

FREIGHTMAN
6th Nov 2001, 00:23
How come "he was in a sleeping bag at the back" if the crash was just after take off ??
Should he not have been strapped in a chair, like any legal passenger. Perhaps there was no seat for him !!!!, which ties in with what we all know, that he often forced himself on board for a free flight home !!
Do you think his +/- 80 kg helped the all-up weight??

FREIGHTMAN
6th Nov 2001, 14:53
Oh really Ernesto, it "leaves a bad taste in your mouth" does it?
Well I'll tell you something else that leaves a bad taste in MY mouth.
When an instructor ruins the careers of countless people, because they do not conform to HIS idea of macho, arrogant type of pilot.
Some of these same pilots have gone on to convert at various overseas training centres,which have world wide recognition, without trouble, and gone on to fly quite succesfully !!!
Obviously no one would have wished this fate on a fellow aviator, and there is no doubt one feels sorry for the family, BUT, do you know how many families this man has affected!!
Do you have any idea what it does to a breadwinners career when he does not pass a conversion? ( through no real fault of his own, just a personality clash!)or how the dependents then view their father/mother, as a failure.
Ernesto, you say "mindless remarks can cause untold harm to the living", well I agree fully, and do you know how many mindless remarks this man made to people in the sim, which has certainly caused untold harm to them!!! It's been so bad that some have wanted to give up flying altogether, untill some DESCENT instructor managed to restore their confidence.
I'm sorry, but this man was totally unforgiving and harsh during his life, and he cannot expect any other response from his numerous victims after his passing.

DOGFIGHER
7th Nov 2001, 20:47
Can't say I disagree with Freightman. The guy was full of it. Its not surprising to hear that he's gone down - his whole approach to life was fast and very very furious. He certainly wasn't high on safety and pushed the limits frequently.

Also, what exactly was he doing in a sleeping bag in the back ? That raises a whole lot of other questions.

Sad for the crew members but frankly, the aviation world might just be a better place without the third guy.

4granted
8th Nov 2001, 12:43
All said and done, Moderators I think this thread should be locked up and laid to rest..with all due respect.

Scowl
8th Nov 2001, 13:38
Hear hear, 4granted has a good idea.

8th Nov 2001, 15:58
DOGFIGHTER & FREIGHTMAN...
Has the ring of the old Tom Cruz and Top Gun type doesn't it? I hope to God the two of you never make any mistakes!

Ernesto
8th Nov 2001, 20:04
Moderators,

I agree with 4Granted and Scowl.

Some of us have much to learn about life and respect. I apologise for not posting my message of condolence on the "crash thread" - thought it would be appropriate here.

So please close the thread before any more unkindnesses are posted.

Thanks from ernesto

4HolerPoler
10th Nov 2001, 11:13
Your concerns are heard guys (and girls). I've already censored one post on this topic and am keeping a close eye on it.

Fly safe out there.

B Sousa
10th Nov 2001, 18:38
Just out of curiosity, I think the topic should be discussed. Not to show disrespect for the families involved, but to weed out what really happened. It seems in a sad situation like this the stories seem to be 1. What really happened, 2. What gets reported, 3. What ends up in court. By reading these two threads it would appear that there are a lot of problems which led up to the situation. Personalities, Pressure to accomplish the task, possible Mechanical Failure, etc, etc. These are all things that have also in the past plagued Pilots and left grieving families. Hopefully someone can learn from what is published here so that the loss will not continue.

putco
11th Nov 2001, 04:35
Guys - l just lost mates in that helo off the Sierra Leone coast. I agree with 4G and Scowl - let the darn thing lie!