PDA

View Full Version : Recce over River Congo

Billy the Kid
30th Nov 2001, 21:43
Investigating the possibility of using a light aircraft to do some recce work on the downstream congo. In respect to fishing the river.
I beleive that the river is under dispute between Congo and Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire).
A) is there any General Aviation
B) who would be the best people to contact
C) how dangerous is this part of africa.

The project is UN funded, but as of yet the local authorities are sitting on any info. Is this due to the disputed territory?

Any help sort...

DownIn3Green
1st Dec 2001, 02:20
There's an Aero Club in PNR. I know they've got a Rallye, and I've seen many ultralights flying out of there...

JJflyer
1st Dec 2001, 07:45
Aeroclub... Yes but for mebers only. You need to convince one of the members to take the ralley out for the tour. Ultralights are privately owned, I tried to get e a ride but my inability to communicate in French seemed to hinder my attempts.
There is a company in PNR called Aeroservice. They have anything from a BN2 Islander to AN24 available for charter.
Sorry no contact numbers.
They do operate out of Brazza too. Prices? Supply and demand.

Personally I would stay out of the river region, especially the upriver. Quite wild up there. If you insist going for a fishing trip try looking up info on the South African fishing magazines and websites.

There are some barges that go upriver for days with all sort of supplies and come back with stuff out of the jungle. You might think about hitching a ride with one of these, get your own cabin (if available) to sleep in and fish during the day when they stop in many of the little villages. Your catch could even include the Hanta or Ebola :D

south coast
3rd Dec 2001, 19:05
after spending 8 months flying for the UN in the congo, you are a brave man to go up there to do some fishing. myself and the bloke i was flying with both took up rods with the hope of catching some big fish...we tried fishing at the nautical club in kinshasa and the norm for these places occured....we did not have our passports with us, we did not have fishing permits, we were on government property etc etc etc.
i think you will have to have lots of $$$$$ to help persuade people in that part of the world...and, you must really love fishing to go there!!!!!
also ask, the general, 4granted and tms..they were all there too....

TMS
3rd Dec 2001, 19:23
My advise is to take a flak jacket for "up river" excursions on the ground and depending on altitude...possibly for low level visits. Include a net good enough to pull out the occasional body that floats down the river and keep your eyes "wide open". The taste of the local fish is unknown to me, but I would say you have to be a brave man to try.....I heard of a girl swimming in the river and 2 years later still suffers from a rash.
Rather try the seychelles.......
Good luck.

The General
4th Dec 2001, 00:41
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt stolen... You'd have less hassle trying to fish for trout in the Sahara

Billy the Kid
4th Dec 2001, 12:56
Thanks for the posts so far.

Just to clarify a point. The fishing is not rod and line fishing, but two 60 ton trawlers. We have to work out logistics, like landing sites, frozen storage and transport to the city.

The project is part of a 35 million dollar UN project to start industry and teach the locals the skills required to carry this out.

My understanding is that the area is very dangerous at present and most UN money is being bled off to fund the local governments various military adventures. This is to ensure the president stays in power by keeping the army busy!

Personaly I don't want to get involved, but all the info from you guys has been passed on.

Once again many thanks...

4granted
4th Dec 2001, 18:03
Billy the Kidder
Try getting hold of a guy by the name of Fred Summer/s/lin/?? "FRED" in Kinshasa.Tel Mobi..+243-88048103 (this no.s quite old) Hes an Instructor /charter /Freelance Pilot of note out there and a very nice guy. Hes got accsess to a little piston single and a Senaca II .He also knows a lot of people.
"Beer" in mind its difficult to get anything done but Joseph Kabila is a Fine young man who is very approach
-able. The Un have of course lots of a/c there. Why dont you just inter-agency sub charter a Cessna Caravan from UNHCR. I presume you're UNDP?? Or is UNletsgofishing.com ? I dont think theres much on the Brazza side but that was a while ago.
Also is this for up stream or down stream?
Down stream of course has Hydro elec plants that are better protected with anti aircraft stuff than ..well you get the idea...
good luck. Wouldnt mind doing a low level recce up and down that amazing river for a couple of days in a C208 on floats now....we can dream!!
HB4g

4granted
4th Dec 2001, 18:07
P.S General!
youll look back on your days flying up and down that river with fond memories..one day..I understand its still to early but believe me..
Give my left gonad to be there right now!
:cool: :cool:
4g

south coast
5th Dec 2001, 14:51
i would give my right gonad....and that scan of yours made me very jealous!

4granted
5th Dec 2001, 17:49
you like that...HUGH??

As someone said to me the other day..Bloemfontein???!!!!
Patience my man patience...
p.s no luck on those questions..sorry
4g :( :p :p

Peter Pan
5th Dec 2001, 20:25
There is also the Caravan of Aviation Sans
Frontières based in the region that is used
to fly around in the area beetwin Brazza -
Mbandaka - and plenty of place in RDC and RCA.
If you define your precise needs - dates -
places - i might help you out. Send mail if you wish.

Cheers

PP ;)

4granted
5th Dec 2001, 21:28
P P
Sorry for that Virus..and sorry to anybody else who got nailed from me..badtrans you b1tch!
4g

The General
5th Dec 2001, 22:42
Gave BOTH my gonads...now I want them back!!!! :D

south coast
6th Dec 2001, 00:34
doveton....they are gone for good, i am afarid that was the price you had to pay for all those $$$$$$$!

whats news then 4 granted?

south coast
6th Dec 2001, 00:38
who said mbandaka...ah, mbandaka, mbandaka this is uniform november 804...do you read, infact....heish, hotel charlie 100 relay....!! :eek: :rolleyes: :p

4granted
6th Dec 2001, 14:38
"CALLING MBANDAKA..CALLING MBANDAKA?????"
"QNH NOT AVAILEABLE...YOU PARK HERE NO NO NO YOU PARK HERE!!!!"

The General
6th Dec 2001, 17:01
Just land, you land OK

south coast
6th Dec 2001, 22:05
heish...you f***ing guys, always joking and deceiving us, infact....say again your position....runway vacated!!!roge.

4granted
7th Dec 2001, 02:50
SO!!!.... getting back to this recce over/up the Congo river.

Billy the kidy
Have you thought of heading out to Kisangani and starting from there? Hey Id be on the first plane out ..even if you thought of doing it by pirogue...Now you're talking recce!!!
Hey what ever..

Calling Mbandakaaaaa... !

DownIn3Green
7th Dec 2001, 04:39
Seriously, guys...contact JJ, he's into all the hot spots in the Congo...

He's been heard asking for clearance whilst on the "International" ramp in BZV and looking to taxi into the "South Parking" in PNR...

But he is a hell of a good sport, and moving into the left seat...good on ya JJ....

TALUFTE
12th Dec 2001, 00:53
Billy Kid, reports of an outbreak of Ebola in recent days around the Congo River.

flynz
14th Dec 2001, 11:11
Dear Bill,

Send me an e-mail with details and I will connect you to Aviation Sans Frontieres-NL for the avation part. They also have staff experienced in managing vessels for organisations like Greenpeace and Terre des Hommes.

Best regards, Robert

Peter Pan
14th Dec 2001, 14:47
Billy, depending on the plane
you want to use you can also reach
[email protected] , he is in charge
of Aviation sans Frontieres planes in the
area (RDC, RCA). Sure he can help out !

JJflyer
14th Dec 2001, 16:19
Requesting parking @ gate B2 internationla teminal in Brazzaville... Pax can collect their luggage fron carousel number 4...Yes been fooled into that one :D :D

Only Brazza does not have but one crappy building and one belt for luggage.

Yes Ebola. I have decided to ride the storm in Europe. That is I will not return to Congo until they have full understanding on how big and serious this outbrake is. As a blondie I feel it is better to live without Ebola, sort of prolongs your life expectancy.

Muzungu
18th Dec 2001, 08:01
General;

There is great fishing in the Sahara,
The Niger goes through Mali, you
have to try the BBq capitaine fish.