PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Equatorial Guinea?

BadAndy
30th Nov 2001, 04:43
I just got an offer from a crew leasing company to come fly the E145 left seat in Equat. Guinea. I come over next week one day to begin. If anyone is there now that can give me a bunch of pointers about what to bring, etc, I would greatly appreciate it. This is a dream come true for me. Hope to meet some of you over there. Please email me with any helpful info at [email protected]. Thanks.

"Bad Andy" reitz

B Sousa
1st Dec 2001, 02:12
Interesting Website (www.bad-andy.net) for one who wants to head for Africa. As mentioned above if you have not been there before, you may want to speak with some on the forum who can give you a few pointers. Its a very different enviornment than (IAH) or (HOU).
As an example could you have a middle name of Perry?? or could your first name be Richard??
Its a different world for sure....

BadAndy
1st Dec 2001, 04:37
Nope, never been to Africa before. I have no doubt it will be an extremely difficult experience. Again, anyone that has some words of wisdom for me, please, please, PLEASE email me that I might speak with you before next week. Thanks again.

Andy

As for the website, it was just something I had to put together for a basic computer class working on my MBA. It just kind of stuck around.... :)

4HolerPoler
2nd Dec 2001, 02:13
I haven't thought this out too well and don't know Eq. Guinea itself but will say a few words in the hope that those that do know will add some of their own.

Be careful, very careful, the value of human life is often very low; never be out on the town on your own or with the uninitiated; it's easy to stray on the wrong side of the tracks without realizing it. There are many bugs out there that will flatten you; take every precaution advised and ensure that you've got some evacuation plan in the event of a serious illness or injury.

You'll meet some great folk where you're going and you'll meet some strange folk. If you last six months you'll last six years, it's the adjustment that will be the benchmark of your fortitude.

The routine will happen some time this week and anything else will proabably not get done. The "African handshake" with the obligatory $ note in the palm is often the only way to achieve what you currently take for granted.

Take care out there - there's some big weather where you're headed and my suggestion is to stick to the basics because that's all that's out there.

Best wishes and keep in touch.

4Holer...out

BadAndy
2nd Dec 2001, 07:32
Thank you for the replys. I'm getting some great advice. One more quick question, anyone have a website where I can download main aspects of the flying over there? (Example, regs, weather, IFR flying in Africa, etc...). I'd like to study up on that on the 15-20 hours on the various planes on the ride over this week. Thanks again.

Andy

4HolerPoler
2nd Dec 2001, 11:25
There ain't one Andy and if there was, it wouldn't take 15 - 20 hours to read, you'd be through it in a minute. Have a good flight.

south coast
3rd Dec 2001, 19:16
if you want to survive in africa.....what you need is patience and LOTS of it....just take evreything in your stride and if something which should take 5 mins takes an hour...just laugh and enjoy the scenery...otherwise you'll go mad!

south coast
3rd Dec 2001, 19:29
o yeah....and be careful of the night fighters!

kuzzin
3rd Dec 2001, 20:41
Haa Zit
Whats a nightfighter?
:confused:
Bad Andy
Which Agency are you with and is this your first Left seat contract? Any ideas on the duration of the contract or how many on, how many off do you have to/can you do?
lekka man
enjoy
:rolleyes:

Hani
5th Dec 2001, 04:29
Hi,

For a very thorough look at Equatorial Guinea, read "Wallpaper*" magazine, October issue. There is about 10 pages about this unfamiliar country, some of the coverage is bad, some is ok.
www.wallpaper.com (http://www.wallpaper.com)

Thanks

Hani

BadAndy
5th Dec 2001, 08:26
Kuzzin,

The contract is through ContractAir. Yes, it is my first contract. As for patience, I think I'm getting a taste of that now. The original plan was to leave Wednesday. Now however, they told me they are "working out some difficulties" on the contract, and I should just "sit tight" in the US. Is this normal in contract flying? Its a little stressful to be out of my US Airline job, on leave, with no income at the moment, now wondering what is going to happen. Any suggestions from anyone????

The Guvnor
5th Dec 2001, 13:10
Yes - work on the basis that you won't be leaving for at least a couple of months, as I hear that the company which is acquiring the aircraft is having difficulties coming up with the cash!

4HolerPoler
6th Dec 2001, 04:55
Andy, as this affects your career, I would caution you to be extremely circumspect with regards to believing what are no more than rumours.

The General
6th Dec 2001, 17:06
Yes, but educated rumours...

HeloTeacher
3rd Aug 2002, 07:40
Well Andy,

You made it here, i think you ain't quite so bad, drawl and all :-)

Interesting to see the history on how you got here LOL

Later dude!

TomBola
3rd Aug 2002, 11:38
Andy,
There are no conventional navaids in many African countries. The closest you'll find in many places are the Night Fighters. These may resemble gift-wrapped AIDS on a stick, and if you drink enough local beer to make them look irresistible they'll surely help you navigate your way to catching AIDS!!

JJflyer
3rd Aug 2002, 11:44
Yo Andyman

I spend about a week or so in Malabo in June. Kinda liked it, well compared to Congo it was a paradise. People spoke Spanish and that was a refreshing change to the french boulderdash that seems to be ever present in Western Africa.

There are really no beaches in Malabo. Lack of night life is apparent. There are a few good restaurants Downtown Malabo. I recommend Chinese, seems to be best value for money where ever you go.
CFA ( Central African Franc ) to Dollar was around 650, Ie 100 USD = 65000 CFA. You can get more on mainland. Suggest you change your money somewhere else and make a little out of it.

As for the airport facilities. There is no ILS and a huge mountain looming east of the field. Left turns where prohibited after take off for that obvious reason. RWY is looooooong and in pretty good shape. And you didnīt have to chace wildlife ( local polulation ) off the rwy before taking off like in Congo.

As for availability of goods... Well you can get most of the stuff there you can get in Spain, but with a slight price increase... 100% in some cases...

Take a laptop with you with plenty of DVDīs and books. Mossie repellent and these wall plugs with plenty on replacement things.

Ask about your accomodation and try to get some pictures about the place you are going to live in.

Over all people are friendly and it is a really small place... There are big apes on the mountain that you can go and see. I got a long with them pretty well, wonder why:D I asked about snakes and other nasties, apparently there are none on the island.

Hope this helps.

AMEX
4th Aug 2002, 16:04
Was in Malabo a few months back but I don't remember a huge mountain nearby. No, it is more something like a HUGE piece of planet earth sticking out the clouds.
First time there, I wondered why the procedure was a DME arc, it is such a tiny island after all but then again when you see the rock (Voclano I believe), it is quite an impressive sight.

I also remember having a friend (on the 748) surrounded by armed guards juts to make sure he had paid the landing fees (unless it was in Bata??).
Nice country really :) :), compared to DRC anyway but not much worse than anything else in central africa.....

Still, Africa is an adventure worth living.

Cardinal Puff
5th Aug 2002, 13:31
....And make sure you get paid.

You'd be surprised how many dodgy operators cut costs by avoiding the issue of paying the crews until they get fed up and go home. Trust is a beautiful thing but cash in hand is waaaaay better.....

AfricanSkies
5th Aug 2002, 15:10
Andy, the laptop is a great idea, take lots of good software, preferably something you can get creative on...you'd be surprised what gems boredom can prise out of you! Try and get a global internet connection through someone like iPlus (www.artslink.co.za can help there) load all your music on it, all your photos, and get some little plug-in speakers. Mossie net, pillow, raid a 2nd hand bookshop because you're going to have a hell of a time finding english books, lightweight raincoat and a cap that's pretty absorbent for wiping off the sweat before the takeoff roll...umm what else? lots of anti-diahorrea pills, and a little survival kit..mines only in a tobacco tin but you'd be surprised whats in it... a good guidebook of the region is helpful.
Also, get one of those little locks which fit in a normal keyhole and block it, they're pretty good for the peace of mind...some passport sized photos can save drama..

and last but not least...a sturdy bottle opener!

contraxdog
7th Aug 2002, 15:56
Bad andy,

I spent 3 years doing a contract in Malabo. Its not bad as african places go.
You go and introduce yourself to Fuawzi at Mesa Verde and tell him Hercules from Aguila sent you, you will be all right for a drinking place. Let him introduce you to Nik the teacher and Bruno and Sonia, and the rocking will start. I will Mail Nik and warn him of your coming. Have a good meal at the Ambassador, or the Bahia Hotel.
Try and get hold of Chacho he is the Sat TV agent in Malabo, tel him I say hi. He might help you too. He is not as bad as crooks go. Look out for the Night fighters, and the Mosquitos and you will be OK.
I am sitting in the DRC now and wish I was back there most days.
And as an After thought, remember Malabo is the twilight zone!

Let us know how things are going

contraxdog

BadAndy
18th Aug 2002, 13:54
HeloTeacher,

I don't think my drawl is that bad.... :) (Just when I'm really tired or really drunk). Anyways, when the heck are you getting back here? All my drinkin' buddies are gone home right now, and it's getting lonely. Looks like it'll be another couple of months here for me anyways. So, can you drop me an email (I lost your email address)? I need some stuff from home, if it isn't too much trouble.

As for everyone else, thanks for the good pointers. After 6 months here, I still can't figure half these people out...

"Livin' the dream"
BadAndy