PDA

View Full Version : FS2002 sound problem

Neo_RS14
25th Jun 2007, 17:18
Hi guys,

I've just installed FS2002 on my PC, and I am able to play it, however it only plays normally if I toggle the sound off. If i turn the sound on, the animation moves at a bout 1 frame a second! And....THERE'S NO SOUND!

What is strange, is that the computer will play .WAV files, and the lesson videos work in the game, however the interactive lessons don't work obviously as I can't hear the guy speak.

I never had any problems with this on my last problem, andI've searched high and low on the Microsoft site for an answer with no luck...I'm reallly hoping that its something simple that I've overlooked, that an experienced player can tell me....

So if you have any ideas, or need more info, please let me know, I'm really missing the sound of the engines and the ATC.

Thanks in advance,

Neo

G-BOY
25th Jun 2007, 18:30
Get FSX.

Or, go to 'My Computer', right-click on the CD Drive you've put FS2002 in, and click 'explore'. The video files are on there somewhere - you should be able to run them through Windows Media Player.

bnt
25th Jun 2007, 18:43
Do you have more than one sound card in your machine, even if one is "onboard"? FS may have picked the wrong one as the default, which you should be able to fix in the FS2002 settings "Sound" page.

DaveO'Leary
25th Jun 2007, 19:32
Neo
See MS KB885492 hotfix Media player 9

Neo_RS14
26th Jun 2007, 13:53
Hi chaps,

Thanks for your responses. Believe me I'm on the case of FSX already, I'm being stopped from buying a copy because someone's promised me it, but I have to be patient...:ugh: lol

Right,

G-BOY - What will using 'explore' tell me in the video files, I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for, but I'll have a go.

bnt - You make a very good point there, r.e. the sound cards. The sound stopped working on this computer while my dad had it, I picked it up over the wkend, and fitted a new soundcard (soundblaster Live! 5.1). Since then, the sound has worked on everything else, except FS2002. The previous soundcard was an 'onboard' one, so yes, maybe it is selecting that.

Now I have exhausted the in-game sound settings on FS2002, and it does not give me the option to select a sound device as far as I can see...it has the volumes page, where you can also adjust the level of quality. And thats it I think.

I'm not sure if there is some aspect of the sound card installation Ihave ommitted, because it took ages, and everything else appears to work. Except, one thing I noticed, is that the 'speaker' icon in the bottom right hand tray/taskbar, has gone...I'm not sure if that is relevant in anyway....and in sound properties, it says 'no audio device', however in the device manager, it says this devide is working properly on the soundcard and everything related to it, e.g. drivers etc.

Dave O'Leary - I took a look at that hotfix, it appears to be a security upgrade, I don't see how it is relevant to the FS2002 issue, will it's installation cure this problem do you think? That hotfix says it works for only SP1 for XP, I'm not sure which service pack this pc's running, only had it a day, I'll go and check, befiore I respond to this again.

Thanks .

Neo

G-BOY
27th Jun 2007, 17:03
Neo - If you go exploring the FS2002 CD - You'll probably come accross the video files - I think they're MPEG...not quite sure, but it'll show up as a Windows Media Player file, maybe quicktime or real player if you've installed them as well.

You are looking for the video introduction files, I'm guessing because you think they're going to provide you with a tutorial - in actual fact, you might as well just play the tutorials; because the videos on FS2002 do skimp on detail - Once you're with Rod in a cessna, it's fairly easy to learn, so your best bet is to just load one of the lessons up, rather than looking for the video.

Saab Dastard
27th Jun 2007, 19:37
A few years ago I had a curious problem with sound on one of my home PCs, which I eventually traced to the fact that Windows was attempting to use the modem (that's telephone modem, I did say it was a few years ago) as a sound device.

I simply disabled that particular one in the Sounds / Hardware settings and everything was OK.

Might be worth checking?

SD

Neo_RS14
28th Jun 2007, 14:10
Hi Guys,

G-Boy, yes I did take a look at a couple of the discs...I totally agree with you, its pretty straigh forward once your in the plane, but the captions don't come up properly....the only one that does is...."Right, now you have control...."........nice! lol

the thing is....the WMV files work, while not in the actual cockpit, (in-game).....they're fine....its just the complete lack of sound that is the major problem here sadly...thanks for your input:ok:

Saab Dasturd - Mine says exactly the same thing regarding "line modem 1" as the only audio device, which is lunacy, i agree.....the thing is...if i select that drop down menu, it only has that modem choice there?? If it offered me the choice to select the soundblaster i'd happily select that, but it doesnt!

Maybe there's something in the registry i can change, i've had alook, but i can't see what...there isnt alot of options in the registry if you slect FS2002, and the sound options in-game are very basic, and they assume you have functional sound already.....a real pain in the backside.