PDA

View Full Version : PPL(H) over here or the states?

collectivefriction
25th Jun 2007, 12:41
Toying with the idea of doing my PPL(H) and just starting to look at the options.

Should i do the licence here or in the states, and what a/c to train in: my relevant details are:

140 hour plank driver
Doing it for fun - not thinking of CPL - too old and not enough money in it
Would obviously like to save money - but money is not the driving factor
Not really in a hurry - but I am an impatient git
ex mil crewman
just under 16st and weight fortunately going south

at 16 st is a 22 going to be a problem, don't really want to fork out for a 44 - what about a schweizer?

sounds to me like I am talking myself out of the states but interested in opinions

IntheTin
25th Jun 2007, 13:24
You can still train in a 22 at 16st (224lbs?) as the max seat weight is 240lbs, but if you live in the UK I would do it there. No conversion needed then from the US certificate to the European one.
Makes sense to me if money isn't really the problem! ;)

Whirlygig
25th Jun 2007, 16:43
If you've already got a UK JAA/CAA PPL(A), then helicopter training in the US might not be such a bad idea as you would only have one exam to sit in the UK (as you have the others) and you are already versed with UK airspace and radio.

The R22 won't allow much for "Christmas" weight gain but the Schweizer would have that lee-way plus it's a nice helicopter on which to train (ah, the sound of a can of worms being opened - music to my ears!!). However, it would be best to train on the type that's nearest to where you live if you want to self-fly hire later and do your annual checks.

Cheers

Whirls

rotorfossil
25th Jun 2007, 16:48
For the R22 you'll need a light instructor as the typical max cockpit load is round about 410-420 lb to avoid exceeding the forward C of G limit. from this point of view Schweizer a better bet.

HillerBee
25th Jun 2007, 17:04
In the USA you can train on a R44 for $324, as this is probably the helicopter you're going to fly after you got your license, not a bad option.

** You do NOT need to convert a FAA PPL to a JAA one to be able to fly in the UK. **

25th Jun 2007, 17:38
Yes, it might be legal to fly a G-reg heli using an FAA PPL but will any operator let you hire their aircraft? Will their insurance company allow it? What about the JAA Air law exam and the JAA Radio licence?

HillerBee
25th Jun 2007, 17:49
There are plenty of operators renting you an aircraft, the insurance company doesn't care at all and you don't need to take the Airlaw exam, unless you want to convert. You do need to apply in the US for a radio operators certificate though but that's easy.

25th Jun 2007, 18:05
"By the way the test standards of the FAA system are higher than the JAA,"
Absolute nonsense. It depends on the individual examiner.
"and a FAA PPL is basically the same as a JAA CPL, flying wise! "
Again, not true. The FAA PPL is not at all like a JAA CPL. JAA CPL test has an OS track crawl, a 1:250,000 track crawl, downwind quickstops, vertical takeoff, instrument flying, touchdown auto. FAA PPL test has none of these.
I suggest you look at the CAA standards documents (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=list&type=sercat&id=22) on the caa website and look at the FAA Practical Test Standards (http://www.faa.gov/education_research/testing/airmen/test_standards/pilot/private/) books.

HillerBee
25th Jun 2007, 18:51
I'm an instructor I know the systems, and if you want it easy, stick to the JAA sylabus (especially PPL). I'm not biased I make my money with the JAA system, just don't understand why everybody seems to be against the FAA system here in Europe.

HillerBee
25th Jun 2007, 20:28
Of course not, you're absolutely right in saying every individual examiner has his own way of doing things.

Helinut
26th Jun 2007, 09:56
Cf,

My advice would be to think about what and how you plan to fly once you have your PPL(H). It is more important to be familair with the helicopter type that you will fly than the type of plank you fly. The stick-poling and hand-eye coordnation required to fly a hele well are greater than for a plank (IMHO anyway). If, as someone suggested, you may end up flying an R44 SFH, it might make sense to go and fly one in the US or elsewhere. It would set you up well for SFH. If you fly a (slightly) bigger hele, make sure that someone shows you how to fly it when heavy - a heavy R44/light R44 are very different.

I would normally advise that a new pilot learns in the UK if he wants to fly there, unless his personal circs make it much cheaper to fly in the US (e.g being there on business anyway). However, as you already are familiar with the UK, this is less important for you. You might want to learn here for other reasons though (like keeping UK instructors in work!)

collectivefriction
26th Jun 2007, 18:15
"(like keeping UK instructors in work!)"

Err - money is not really an object but that is probably not near the top of my list for learning over here :) you an insructor nby any chance? :)

Thanks for the feedback so far. I think I am leaning heavily towards doing it over here if for no more reason than I can keep on top of my business, altough some would call me a sad git and tell me to take a holiday.