PDA

View Full Version : Nigeria

GulfPLt
28th Nov 2001, 09:02
Anyone flying in this area. I'm particularly interested in the Lagos area. Also, any info on AFRICAIR would be appreciated.

HelosRfun
30th Nov 2001, 02:26
I hear africair is based in s.e. U.S. Don't know much about them, but hear the pay is low, especially considering the drawbacks presented by the region (disease, crime, etc..)

Geronimo 33
2nd Dec 2001, 10:13
Africair is in reality Pan African Airlines/Aviation known to us as Pan African. They are an American owned operation that is primarily contracted to Chevron Oil Company at Esravos, Nigeria. They operate Bell 206,s and Cessna 208's on floats and some other fixed wing aircraft. The Escraovos 206 routine is 3 weeks on/4 weeks off...they have a waiver for 38 hours per week...hot refuelling...pilots time out even then. Pay is bad, accomodation is really bad...two guys to a room. Chevron is not the best of places to work...safety comes second to everything else. Pilots there have asked for a huge pay raise...contract is being re-let....has been going on for quite some time. Offshore Logistics (OLOG) and Bristow figure into the equation somehow...just how depends upon who you talk to....Bell 412/212 aircraft are in the scheme to happen...two 212's at Warri, Texaco will be assimilated somehow in that Chevron now owns Texaco. Warri/Shell Bristow is providing crews for the Warri/Texaco aircraft that goes out to Escravos each night for a night standby requirement. Bristow had two pilots wounded in a shooting that put 13 bullet holes in the early morning crew bus that was enroute to the Lagos airport with the fixed wing crews for the Shell Dorniers operated by Bristow. Bristow, Aerocontractors (Schreiner), Pan African are the helicopter operators in Lagos...Nigeria. Bristow, Aerocontractors, Pan African, and several other air carriers operate out of Lagos. Nigeria is an experience...it is what you make it, is the saying.

StressFree
2nd Dec 2001, 13:31
GlfPilot,
Let me get this straight-
"I'm particulary interested in the Lagos area"

May I ask why? Its a horrible, stinking hole.

:eek:

JJflyer
2nd Dec 2001, 17:52
A good friend of mine is looking for Helicopter work. Quite experienced. No Afrca time. Has flown in Alaska. Lots of turbine time. Any chance in Nigeria. Any contact numbers ??? FAA licence a problem ???

Cheers

B Sousa
2nd Dec 2001, 20:01
As a Helo driver, I can say BTDT. Not Nigeria, but enough to be familiar with the territory from South Africa up to Kenya.
Unless you just want to do it for bragging rights, there are better places. Some other post from "Bad Andy" is from someone going there with a clean white shirt and no clue of what hes about to jump in. Read all the posts on this forum as many of these folks have lived and worked in Africa all their lives. If you go, latch onto these folks, dont eat or drink anything they dont (even that is questionable), dont fall in love (at least for money) and tuck in your mossie net.
As I mentioned before Health problems are numerous. Personal Security is limited, and living conditons in general, suck. Then you have to deal with a company who is trying to screw your eyes out (no reflection on Africair, I know nothing about them). Beyond that some places are extremely beautiful.
My email is good if I can answer anything specific.
Also in regards to Africair. The website (www.africair.com)

[ 02 December 2001: Message edited by: B Sousa ]

[ 02 December 2001: Message edited by: B Sousa ]

GulfPLt
2nd Dec 2001, 22:22
Thanks for all your answers. To answer stressfree's question, there was a job opening there. Sounds like a good place to stay away from though.

Excrement Occurs.

tally
3rd Dec 2001, 07:33
It is so disappointing to hear guys who are supposed to be professionals and highly exposed ones, describe other places in so derogatory terms.It is disheartening bcos one would believe aviation professionals are more exposed to various cultures and can have an understanding of various situations in which different people live in. But to sit down and begin to use gutter language to describe other people is saddening. To say a place is a ****hole is to say the people are ****. If you are not interested in a place don't poison others by painting a negative picture of the place. Let the person go and decide. I will be the first to admit that Lagos as a place can be much better, but I do believe that given time and exposure of the people things will begin to change for the better, but don't paint a picture of hell. New York, London and J'burg have left negative impressions on a fair share of people. I was robbed once in Los Angeles, half a mile from the airport. Do I go about claiming L.A is a ****hole? No,it was a unfortunate situation but life goes on. Geronimo33 is in Nigeria and like he said it is what you make of it. Please we are all mature men, lets stop this africa bashing. If we do maybe things will begining to change for the better.
Thanks

StressFree
3rd Dec 2001, 12:44
I say again without hesitation Lagos is a hole..........Being a professional pilot or a doctor or a farmer has nothing to do with making an accurate, objective assessment. No offence is meant but this bulletin board is for sharing news and information, even if it may not be what you want to hear.
Prove me wrong, where is the nice part of Lagos, I'd love to know.
The old joke "happiness is V1 at Lagos" is still true.
Sure London, LA etc. have their problems but in comparison to Lagos? I know where I would rather be............

:cool:

B Sousa
3rd Dec 2001, 18:48
NIGPLT, since we seem to have burning bamboo under the fingernails over that Beautiful Nigeria. I can say Yes, Los Angeles is a S***Hole, But its one hell of a lot nicer than NIgeria. The only thing that most in the U.S. have seen come from Nigeria is the most notorius group of Mail and Insurance fraud suspects in the world. If you love it so much, change your residence on your profile from Houston to Lagos.......

tally
4th Dec 2001, 03:52
Mr Stressfree, I do respect your opinion. You're quite right it is hard pointing to what will be termed a descent part of lagos. Like I said in my previous post I will be first to admit alot needs to be done down there. I believe in a slow way the current administration is trying to put things in the right way. I just believe we should encourage them it's the least we can do.
Mr Sousa, sorry about your missed placed aggression. I don't think my post deserves the response you posted. Telling me to change locations shows you don't even know where I am posting from. The fact I listed iah could be the same reason you listed las and jnb in your profile.
Chao

DownIn3Green
4th Dec 2001, 04:11
I was going to comment reference NIGPLT, but thought better of it as I don't want to be banned...

JJflyer
4th Dec 2001, 08:10
A Shaithole without a doubt...No more no less. But still better than getting your eyes poked off.

Chuck Ellsworth
4th Dec 2001, 08:20
I've done most of Africa but the closest I got to Lagos was Cotonou. I can't imagine Lagos is any worse than Luanda.

Is it??

:D The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no. :D

ABBOT
5th Dec 2001, 03:45
Lived in Lagos for 1 year & flew DO 328 for Bristows. Bristow run a good rotary & fixed wing operation FAA & CAA licences both worked when I was there. +441737 822353 for more info. :D

StressFree
5th Dec 2001, 22:46
Abbot,
You seem to be living VERY close to me! I had a horrible flashback to Lagos when I first went into The Vine.........

All the best.

:cool:

B Sousa
6th Dec 2001, 06:02
NIGPILOT You are a piece of work no doubt. I have no "miss placed" anything, some might be misplaced but it comes with the territory. I really could give a rats ass where you are posting from , just to finish that one.
I think the conversation started about questions as to FLYING in Nigeria and the responses had to do with the place being a S***hole. Most all who have posted agree. I dont think the topic drifted into Cultures until you jumped in. Either way, thats another who cares. Those who will fly there will no doubt do what has to be done to get by. I just think for the money that is probably involved there are much nicer, safer, cleaner spots to work...
My two cents.........

FREDA
11th Dec 2001, 20:01
NIGPLT, your assertion that describing a place as a S**Thole is the same as calling the people S**t is way off the mark.

I´ve spent an awful lot of time in Nigeria and almost all the people I´ve met have been perfectly pleasant, although the economic realities of their lives in Nigeria make their lives very hard indeed. However the country is, by the our westernised standards, an utter S**t-hole. Nothing works, the food is toxic and you stand a very good chance of being ripped off (I´m not blaming people, when you are dirt-poor and have kids to feed, the sight of guys like us wandering about making two hundred dollars a day must be very tempting).

Horrible place, run by absolutely horrible people but the general population are generally very nice.

ABBOT
11th Dec 2001, 23:18
Stressfree, I own 'The Bell', just a few short paces towards Dunmow from the Vine, E-mail me & we'll meet for a beer. :D

tally
12th Dec 2001, 07:36
Freda
You're quite right, a country with such potential and horrible managers can be called that. I know first hand about desperate people seeing you as a meal ticket. It is sad and we all pray for the best. I appreciate your honest analysis of the situation down there. It is quite different from the "herd" mentality that persist here at times.

B Sousa
12th Dec 2001, 19:02
Nig Pilot is back at it.... A total of three posts and all describe folks here in a derogatory manner. You can find another site if you dont care for things here or better yet get yourself a one-way IAH>>>>>>LOS.
Its not such a bad "herd."

Gooneybird
15th Dec 2001, 02:53
FREEDA is that $200 a day like U.S. dollars?
If so whereabouts in Nigeria?
Can't really add much to the discussion since I've never been there. Mind, the place I live now is the mugging capital of the U.K.

B Sousa
24th Dec 2001, 23:23
I see in the news today the minister of Justice got smoked. The article said hes the most senior person to be killed in the new Government....Thats real assuring....Does that mean a few more have bit the dust....
Sh*thole is the correct term.
Merry Christmas

covertwar
28th Dec 2001, 23:43
lagos may suck, but it sure is cooler than accra...