PDA

View Full Version : Housing allowance?

Stuck_in_an_ATR
24th Jun 2007, 14:00
The letter from CX states that in the beginning I will get housing assistance of $14000/mth and after two years this will increase to $18000/mth. However I can qualify for additional $22350 and $44700 respectively.

If I rent an apartament for say $8000, will I still get the full $14000?

How can one qualify for this additional assistance? Is it difficult?

Do F/Os and Capts get higher assistance?

Cheers!

Flyin Low
25th Jun 2007, 00:10
If I rent an apartament for say $8000, will I still get the full $14000?
That's correct but I think you'd have to live in Tung Chung to find something that cheap.
How can one qualify for this additional assistance? Is it difficult?

Easy... basically you just find a house right up to the max allowance which now I believe is more like $26,000 then Cathay have to approve it. Normally they do but if it was a place in Tung Chung that clearley wasn't worth that $26,000 they wouldn't.
The allowance goes up in a couple of steps I think, but the main one being when it almost doubles after two years.

BuzzBox
25th Jun 2007, 00:31
Second Officers with 2 years of service or less can choose either the Base Rate ($14,000/month) or 50% of the Rent Free Zone (RFZ). The RFZ is currently $52,000/month, so 50% of the RFZ is $26,000/month.

The Base Rate is a cash payment in lieu of any other form of housing assistance. No evidence of the type of accommodation rented is required, so yes you could rent something for $8,000/month and pocket the rest. However, don't expect to find anything decent for $8,000/month, especially if you have a family.

To qualify for the higher level of assistance all you need to do is take out a lease, which must be approved by the company to make sure the property is being rented at the prevailing market rate (in their view). You can then rent something for up to $26,000/month (including management fees, car parking space, etc) and the company will pay the lot. Anything above that amount will come out of your pocket.

After 2 years as an SO, the Base Rate becomes $18,000/month and you can qualify for the full RFZ ($52,000/month).

The Base Rate for JFOs and above is $24,000/month. JFOs and FOs with up to 8 years of service can choose either the Base Rate or the RFZ ($52,000/month).

Hope that's not too confusing!

Sempre Volando
25th Jun 2007, 12:12
What is the situation with getting a furnished apartment? I hear that some guys/girls can get one and then others can't as its not approved? Something to do with cost maybe?

Stuck_in_an_ATR
25th Jun 2007, 13:35
Thanks for answers, I think I almost understand how it works :}

BTW - what's wrong with Tung Chung anyway? I stayed there during my interview (the Headland Hotell was full) and found it a nice place to live: close to the airport and Cathay City, well connected with downtown by the MTR (o.k. could be a tad closer), not crowded, lots of green stuff around... Am I missing something?

badairsucker
25th Jun 2007, 14:04
With all the time you have off, why do you want to be close to work? Get out and experience Hong Kong.

I have never understood the guys who live there cos it's close to work.:ugh:

Yeager
25th Jun 2007, 15:11
Tung Chunk is a bit stinky, and if I dont recall wrong also nominated the most poluted area in HK. Also there is the risk of having a cable car falling down on your head.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6744353.stm

csd
25th Jun 2007, 16:03
Tung Chunk is a bit stinky, and if I dont recall wrong also nominated the most poluted area in HK
Granted it is polluted but not as bad as people think. Generally it is better than a lot of other sites around Hong Kong as can be proved by regular viewing of http://www.epd-asg.gov.hk/textonly/eindex.php

Regards

csd

404 Titan
25th Jun 2007, 16:10
That's figures only for today. Have a look at the figures for the whole year. Definately up there.:yuk:

Stuck_in_an_ATR
25th Jun 2007, 16:27
Now I get it. During my interview the weather was exceptional (so said the locals) and I could see no pollution whatsoever - guess I was just lucky?:) So, what other places to live would you suggest?

Stuck_in_an_ATR
25th Jun 2007, 18:31
Oh, and how about living on a boat? is it at all possible on a new-hire S/O wage?