PDA

View Full Version : RAF Aircrew Medical/JAA class two medical

Professor Plum
24th Jun 2007, 11:38
Hi all,

I'm due my Annual aircrew medical shortly, and also need to renew my JAA class 2 medical shortly, for my PPL.

Does anybody know if I can renew it at the same time as I do my annual RAF medical at Cranwell?

A search of the CAA website hasn't revealed any AME's at Cranwell. As it's a weekend, I've been unable to phone the CAA or the med centre to get an answer.

Anyone know if it's posible to renew my JAA class 2 med at Cranwell?

Cheers

MrBernoulli
24th Jun 2007, 13:06
The RAF/locum doc doing your AME needs to be registered/certified (whatever they call it) with the CAA in order to renew your civvy medical. They should have an AME number that is entered/stamped onto the civvy paperwork you bring with you to the Med Centre

At Brize we had a couple of docs who had the CAA 'tick' but they used to do the civvy medical 'after hours', i.e. outside the normal Med Centre hours so that they couldn't be accused of abusing the facilities/appointments for non-RAF stuff (The RAF medical was done entirely separately, during normal Med Centre hours, but it helped speed the process if you had the same doc for both!) We would 'contribute' an amount to the Med Centre Christmas party fund and the Doc doing the medical examination would get a 'cut' of the contribution, as would a volunteer NCO, who would also stay after hours to do, for example, the ecg/hearing test or whatever was required for that particular civvy medical renewal. System worked well.

Size of the contribution? I can't remember exactly as I left over 2 years ago, but I think it was in the order of £25. Or was it more? In any event, it was substantially cheaper than using a standard civvy AME.

Tortoise
24th Jun 2007, 17:23
Cranwell Med Centre does have two AMEs. A CAA medical can be combined with a PME but book as far ahead as possible as the CAA appointments are sometimes in short supply.They will also do CAA medicals (plus or minus PMEs) for aircrew from other bases, but again that does depend on appointment availability as priority has to be given to getting PMEs done for Cranwell staff who require them. Give the practice manager a ring as he organises most of the CAA appointments- or if any problems, PM me.

Tortoise
24th Jun 2007, 17:41
I forgot to say in my last post- I don't think the CAA website lists many (any?) mil AMEs. However most RAF med centres should have a copy of the list of RAF AMEs which is fairly up to date and therefore could tell you where your nearest AME is based.

stickmonkeytamer
24th Jun 2007, 18:10
If you telephone the med centre reception, ask for the WO- he co-ordinates all of the CAA medicals. He usually books them a few weeks in advance. Including the ECG etc it cost me about £60.00.

SMT

Professor Plum
29th Jun 2007, 15:48
Thanks guys,

I've got both medicals booked now.....with a bit of cash saved too!