PDA

View Full Version : Jet Airways recruitment in Malasia

CommanderRiker
24th Jun 2007, 10:21
Was in Singapore and Kula Lumpur recently looking for opportunities in Air Asia and Tiger. At the KL Hilton, met a very senior B744 ex-Mas captain who said that he was a Malasian royal pilot with a royal title equivalent to a British Sir ( forgot the title, but it sounds like tato ). He claims to be a consultant of Jet and a close buddy of Jet owner Narash Koyal and, he recruited a lot of pilots for Jet on the A330 and B777 away from MAS, EY, EK, Korean and SIA . He says he charges very reasonable fees and for a good sum he can fast track placement with Jet. Anybody having info on this/ I am keen on Jet...I am a 2000+ hour A320 skipper and looking for a challenge up on the bigger A330. I am sceptical but according to aquaintances in India, fast tracking is a sure fire thing with the right contacts. I hope South East Asian ppruners can shed light on this. thanks

Pretzel
24th Jun 2007, 16:16
To be honest.. i would take what this Ex.744 guy says with a pinch of salt.. People that start boasting about how they know the owners of major companies are usually talking rubbish..(especially in Asia!) as no respectable close friend of Mr Goyals would name drop like that and then on top of all try and charge you a fee!!!... India is not the same as the rest of the World.. and to be honest you would be better approaching Kingfisher over 9W..

Jet Airways will only take expats with a TR and prefferbly hours on type, unless you are part of their 737 scheme. meaning if you have a 320 TR and want to get on the 330.. its not going to happen unless you get yourself a self funded TR, they have too many internal guys waiting for upgrades and who would cause hell within the company if they took expats as FO´s before them on to the widebodies...

Try KF, you might have a better oppurtunity with them!

best of luck!

Molokai
25th Jun 2007, 01:27
Overheard at the crew lounge at Narita Hilton that a middle eastern looking Korean Air 744 driver that he is looking for pilots on behalf of Jet Airways. Not sure of his nationality but he did mentioned something of a fast track recruitment; no mention of any fees but I suppose no one does this work for free. I suppose pilots looking for fast upgrades and promotions need to get in their heads that there are a lot of con men out there. Just my 2 cents....good luck

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
25th Jun 2007, 02:35
Hi Guys,

This sounds like Guru, I heard he was placing guys and jet makes sense because he and roland set it up.

Wooblah.

JaguhDunia
25th Jun 2007, 03:00
Hi Wooblah, wasn't he asked to leave jet dishonorably due to sexual harassment charges and double dipping in both mh and jet. I don't think naresh goyal would want to have anything to do with him again. anyway commanderriker, tread carefully. try kf

CommanderRiker
25th Jun 2007, 07:58
Thanks Pretzel. Quite new to the region so quite apprehensive about taking risks. Can't make out Capt Wooblah's info, so will wait and see. Meantime will check out KF and Air Asia.

ikan_terbang
25th Jun 2007, 12:19
Yeap...That sounds like Dato Capt Guru, currently working at Korean.
Can confirm that he has a fast track approach. Yes he knows the boss pretty well. He was running JET flight operations for a while.

Phil Squares
25th Jun 2007, 14:56
So, let's get this straight.

He used to run Jet flight ops and he's working as a line pilot at KAL? Sounds like a good deal to me!!!

Maybe I'm missing something?????:}

DeltaSix
25th Jun 2007, 22:50
Nah....... I have a feeling this 744 Capt is a "show me the money" first sorta guy.

I've heard Randheim Aviation has put on hold training Jet Airway's pilots as they have not paid them. I wonder if people in there are really getting paid.

Just a warning, these Indian airlines will boot you out without a second thought once they think someone can fill your slot.

No security of tenure there.

Raj Merlion
25th Jun 2007, 22:54
My 2 cents...as ATC blokes say " EXERCISE CAUTION!! " The " camel " was an open book, the pigmy lies\d and schemed. This one...

JaguhDunia
26th Jun 2007, 07:42
That's right, Raj. This one...slithers, hisses, spits & then recoils! Sold off MH F/O's 1st class entitlement, tried fixing a few guys up, conned Khairi the dimwit, as Mapa president forced the secretary to fictitiously assumed a retiree's Mapa membership number( below # 10 ) when his original one was some 300+ and plenty of shenanigans in MH audit dept and Jet airways. So sad people out there back in tanahair are still so enamoured with datukship when it has been proven most datuks are involved with all kinds of shady deals and businesses. Melayus and in general, Malaysians, senang lupa...sigh

GlueBall
26th Jun 2007, 16:57
The only fast track way is into your wallet.
If you want to fly for Jet-A, why don't you go to India, directly to the source, which is a long way from KL and from MAS. Would you go to India to talk to an AI pilot about getting a job with SQ? :eek:

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
28th Jun 2007, 02:27
Hi all,

I don't have any personal connection with the fellow and no hard evidence that incriminates him in and criminal activities. I think the MAS guys on the forum especially those seconded to Jet Airways during the start up and formative period of Jet would be in the know.

However, during his tenure as MAPA president his performance was lack lustre to say the least and what the previous posts describe such as loss of travel privileges are true. Perhaps he was better than the Toad but thats a bloody short stick to compare to "Pardon the pun"

Tread carefully,

Wooblah. :hmm:

Raj Merlion
29th Jun 2007, 19:50
Hi Wooby & Jaguh,

Most MAS pilots are docile sheep...too scared to stir up trouble with a datuk; those aggrieved by his actions just shrugged it off as a bad nightmare with an a**e. Those who stood up to him were done in by his cohoots. laughed at by the spineless on the sidelines not realising the harm done by their inaction.....

According to acquaintances in the sub-continent, the charges of sexual harassment were true and the so called Malaysian " sir " was asked or forced to make an Indian type apology to the lady and leave Jet quietly to avoid embarassing Goyal and Jet. You should get roland drunk for him to spill the juice! :)

JaguhDunia
30th Jun 2007, 20:05
Raj, you're so right but roland will not spill the beans on his good buddy.They both fleeced and conned jet during the initial set up of Jet; same scheme during their tenure in MAS management as CP and audit dept chief. Imagine MAPA president in bed with MAS management as audit deputy chief working hand in hand to screw pilots who were just tooo spineless to boot them out...their shenannigans handed the " camel " enough ammunitions to execute a coup d'tat leading to the dark days...the Ayatollah and the Shah of Iran come to mind! Maybe the boys in Korean can shed light on some other juicy episodes heard recently. Any juice, guys....this is a rumors network!

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
1st Jul 2007, 02:28
Ok Ok,

Back in my 732 days there was this great Capt, Indian National, Babu, he was the unlucky Capt of that almost forgotten MAS 732 that was hijacked by a govt official out of PEN touched wheels in SZB and then headed to SIN but crashed in Johore because the hijacker shot both the FO first then Babu in the head.

Well, the first thing the snake in question did was screw his wife under the pretence of taking care of her and getting her the insurance money. Nobody stood up for Babu God rest his soul. And he, his crew and passengers have today been forgotten.

But I remember, and I also remember being sick to the stomach back then when that fellow did what he did but as you guys know he was powerful then and nobody would do anything!!!!!

But I remember Babu as a great Captain and certainly a gifted operator with CRM skills back then that surpass anybody in todays cockpits.

God bless you Babu and rest in peace, we know the real story and what was done to a desperate and broke wife with a young daughter to take care off.

Wooblah.

MASsenger
2nd Jul 2007, 05:49
Here`s another juicy one from way back then. It was the days of the B707, and this is true as I happened to be at Dickens Bar in Hong Kong on the day of the episode. Our `King maker’ as he used to call himself during the rein of Dato Khairi, was an F/O on the B707 at time and date. We were the southbound crew, he & his crew were north bound, and Dickens Bar at the Hyatt was the meeting point. As always after check in, epaulets off and down to the Dickens. All`s well and the beers were flowing on this day. Just as everyone was having a good time, the F/E of his crew got up, grabbed the ‘Bayi’ by his shirt and a full blown scuffle broke out. Of course the rest of us stopped both of them beating their brains out. The pair got sent off the bar and we continued with our drinks. What unfolded the next day was even more interesting. The F/E apparently gave the Bayi a good whacking somewhere on the 7th floor later that night. Broke his nose and a the flight next day was delayed, awaiting a replacement F/O from KL. I was actually glad to note the Bayi got a bashing of his life, kudos to the F/E( also a Malaysian ). Almost everyone in MAS congratulated the F/E on a job well done.
A few rosters later, I was back in Dickens with the same F/E. What a great flashback it was as he related the whole story, moment to moment! Unchangingly the both ended in same the lift going back to their rooms. The Bayi verbally abused the F/E, for which he let him have it. According to the F/E, Guru fought like a women, took off his shoes and began to hit him.

WiraMelayu
2nd Jul 2007, 09:38
Hi Riker,
Suggest you try Kingfisher, Qatar, Air Asia or even Vietnam Air. Do not waste your time and money dealing with dodgy individuals. True, in India you can grease a few palms to smoothen the way but the very snake who help you will hold you to ransom later on. As Wooby said, tread carefully.

Tongkat Ali
4th Jul 2007, 09:25
Hi Wooblah,

Heard from some former Pakistani captains flying for MAS way back in the late 70s that the kondehless snake did what you related, bedding babu ganjor's widow under false pretenses...absolutely disgusting! Asked good old mannan why the pilots did not ostracise that despicable creep, they shrugged and said being poor pilots from the subcontinent, they couldn't; not especially when the spineless locals shrugged off the episode as sad but juicy soap. The FE in MASengger's story should have castrated the bhai with a broken beer bottle...at least babu would then have rested in peace!

MASsenger
5th Jul 2007, 05:28
Well you know what goes around comes around. While the Bhai bedded Babu`s wife, his own wife, a pretty lass from India, was being fulfilled by a consenting ram rod. Of course all hell broke loose when Bhai got wind of the whims & fancies of his own desperate housewife. Capt. Frekin Macho kicked up such a bloody fuss which actually backfired! Bahi got himself legally thrown out of his house, as the house was father-in-laws wedding gift. How`s that for `Karma’. Woww, don`t fool around with this karma,hama,hama, stuff man!

Jetney
5th Jul 2007, 07:57
Hi Raj Merlion,

What is an Indian type apology? As for Riker, do yourself a favor and get yourself to India and meet the proper guys there. Don't be a weasel; you may bring put yourself amongst some very dishonorable blokes. Best of luck.

Kalistan
5th Jul 2007, 21:53
Hi Jet,
In Mother India, it means falling on your knees and touching the feet of the person you had wronged. You will probably be able to see this in Bollywood movies or at Indian weddings whereby people pay homage this way, same body movement and gesture but the intent is different.
Yeh, I did know that the Malaysian creep was forced to do so, otherwise his turbanless head would have been chopped, not withstanding Goyal's pleading words for him.

MASsenger
6th Jul 2007, 02:50
Hey guys in Jet. I`m sure this turbanless creep would have had his finger in every pie while his term at Jet. Tell us more of his juicy escapades. It is the rumor network, bring it on boys! :cool:

Raj Merlion
8th Jul 2007, 05:42
Well MASgr & Bok, a lot of the present MAS crowd are very indifferent and they deserved a lot of the **** that came their way simply by being spineless and yellow. They had 3 datuks leading MAPA previously and see how far in the cesspool they had sunk. I wasn't in MAS then but I did hear of Babu Ganjor's widow. It as indeed despicable and seeing fellow pilots cosying up to the creep despite knowing the sad story was gut rending. I know from an inside MAS source the creep managed to pull cables and got his son into the MAS cadet programme in training in SYD. So I guess a lot of MAS pilots are afraid that he still have big influence and his son may spy for the old creep who can then fix anybody bad mouthing him.

WiraMelayu
8th Jul 2007, 08:42
Hi all, this sikh prick is a survivor like a hyaena. He bullies the juniors or anyone he perceives as weak/unsupported but grovels at the feet of those he perceives as superior.
I flew a few times with him as his F/O and came close to blows during night stops. As a consequence he got his arse licking buddies to give me hard times during flights with them. So you can see why guys are reluctant to take on him. When talking to fellow F/Os we realised that he was alway running down the Malays in front of the non Bumis and lambasting the Chinamen to the Bumis.
He had been trying to recruit for Jet since early last year; the " Indian " apology must have worked wonders that naresh goyal see it fit to reassociate with him.

JaguhDunia
8th Jul 2007, 20:17
Wake up! Hassan. We are all waiting for bab 2. Keep it coming!

ikan_terbang
9th Jul 2007, 05:57
cant wait for Bab 2 ....what about his escapade with the film actress ah ??
.... Lets us hear it.

Paishinel
9th Jul 2007, 09:35
Hi Riker,

You should approach Jet Airways direct. I was ex-MAS seconded to Jet in the early/mid 90's and the person you referred to is not nice to deal with. Try the chief pilot line Ops ( I hope he's still there ) Captain Nikhil Ved. His e-mail is [email protected]. He can probably work out something for you, keeping in mind you are a 2000+ hr babybus skipper a rapid progression to the 330's is possible.

CommanderRiker
10th Jul 2007, 21:04
Hi Pashinel, really appreciate that. Will be making an exploratory trip to India soon.

Sireh
10th Jul 2007, 23:16
Some posts have gone missing....gremlins at work?:confused:

JaguhDunia
11th Jul 2007, 15:04
Looks like we ain't gonna get bab 2. Other posters, keep it coming or bring it on!

WiraMelayu
11th Jul 2007, 20:49
Assalamualaikum Jaguh,

My sis in law used to rent a room at the above-mentioned widow's house, she claimed the poonjabi snake used to show up there making a real fool of himself trying to bed all the womenfolk over there; apparently his wifey pushed him away due to underperformance, Mr Pfizer ahd not come around with bluey then. Ikan, how about what telling about bollywood missy.

jonybungah
13th Jul 2007, 22:43
Sireh,

If the same thing happened to you, would you like your wife's name dragged through this forum? Comeon guys leave the widow alone.

ikan_terbang
14th Jul 2007, 02:38
All PPR only. Proffesional Pilots Rumour....... I don't thing that happened at all. ...just a rumour ok

Sireh
14th Jul 2007, 07:49
jony dan ikan, the forementioned lady worked at mas operations a long time ago and most veterans of the 70's and 80's know that it was a true story. it was unfortunate but young uns who joined later must be enlightened on this and not go "gaga' or yellow just because the perpetratorof this sad saga blemishing the memory of good old babu. I flew with babu, respect him thoroughly and I have met the widow who was unfortunate none too discreet or careful not associate with such a creep the truth must be out to jog the memory of the veterans who can then come forward to condemn that perpetrator of shame!:=

Tongkat Ali
14th Jul 2007, 19:19
Sireh, just keep in mind that there are also a number of low lives who benefited from cosying up to the datuk. A few of such guys were " rescued " from punishment after their dismeanours and owe a debt, so do not be disappointed. Looks like the guys up in Korean are in his pocket too, or too spineless to post anything or are not ppruners. Heard a few stories but need to meet up with some insiders to verify.:}

Paishinel
16th Jul 2007, 09:03
Hi guys,
The part about the datuk forcing the secretary to give him the Mapa membership number of a retiree WAS ABSOLUTELY TRUE. A few ex MAPA presidents and committee members AN VERIFY that.:*

ikan_terbang
16th Jul 2007, 16:20
Cant believe that the president of the PILOTS assositation would do such a thing. Thats shameful and lacks social manners.!! BYW was she pretty ??

The Co-pilots lost the first class travel for peanuts too. yuks yuks and spit thooie.!

MASsenger
17th Jul 2007, 02:20
Being pretty was not the kondaless datuk`s criteria. In fact he had great difficulty getting the pretty ones, cos most knew he was nothing but a creep. His own wife, now there`s a pretty lass, saw the light. Result, the creep got licked, or kicked is more like it! This creep preyed on the weak using his power and position. There was a Punjabi lass in rostering in the 80s, not much of looker, she was on his hit list. Sorry can`t give out names, I mean her no harm

Paishinel
17th Jul 2007, 22:32
For all jet Airways wannabes, a former colleague has good luck with an e-mail to [email protected]. Good luck guys. Don't waste time and money on the person mentioned.

mohdawang
17th Jul 2007, 23:24
Heard from a former coleague flying with KAL that the datuk was really recruiting but no takers as many know his scary bacground. Also heard that he is abig bully forcing all the Malaysians to call him DATUK otherwise he will fix them up, apparenly he fixed up a few blokes who don't call him such. One guy hit him but stopped by others in KL. One retired aftr no support from other MAS guys. Wonder why the KAL Malaysians are so scared, I am sure other people know all the story.

ikan_terbang
20th Jul 2007, 08:30
Also heard that he bets very heavy playing golf. Made and lost fortunes playing HOLES

Raj Merlion
21st Jul 2007, 11:10
mohdawang,
Selamat surey pak. You must understand the fact that the average Malaysian is still very much enamoured with datukship; the wannabees in the corporate and business world bend over, and lick ass to get that ****ty title so that the become "titled" persons; thereafter they parade their title at every opportunity to cow the masses and corrupt the whole officialdom with their shenanigans to get ahead. The business and corporate scene are full of con men datuks with shady and criminal backgrounds, and they run to the royal families and government contacts to get away with murder. As such the average Malaysian is wary of these ****ty characters, only the brave and principled take on them.
As far as I have heard so far, the Mas crowd in Korean are bunch of spineless dolts who dare not stand up for anyone. You will understand how Mas pilots sank into a cesspool electing the creep as their association president whereby he sold out their asses; they never learn, they elected 2 more datuks ( albeit the pigmy got his datukship later ). All the allegations mentioned above are true to the best of my knowledge, unfortunately I cannot name or allude to the names of verifiable sources to protect their dignity and privacy.
It is sincerely hoped that the principled few will continue to fight such creeps otherwise the Mas boys will be like former sexually abused minors who still cringe and cower at the sight of their abuser.:{:ugh:

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
21st Jul 2007, 11:42
Well Guys and Girls,

Its not often I make a request but I would like to request that all of you refrain from naming Babu's widow further. I really respected the guy and I know that his ghost will be stirring because he loved his family dearly. He was a great friend and for those of you who really were there he had many memorable party tricks. I am sure he could memorise a deck of cards.

I also think that it is strange that there is so much support for him now decades after his demise. Isn't it a pity that we were not there for him then. Perhaps we all can learn a valuable lesson from this and perhaps we can cease to be cowards and fight the good fight with dignity and honour. And, perhaps in so doing we may just improve our work conditions.

Babu was a great teacher and perhaps he is again teaching us something from beyond the grave.

Wooblah.

ikan_terbang
21st Jul 2007, 14:41
What happened to Babu BTW...it seems a bit confusing at the moment.

MAStake
22nd Jul 2007, 00:49
I flew as his First Officer and can honestly say I enjoyed every flight with him on the F27 and B737. He was a great guy. It's such a shame that his memory was sullied by the likes of that bayi.

Sireh
22nd Jul 2007, 01:28
Hi Wooblah,
My apologies to all. The killer rosters and graveyard shifts had taken their toll leading to indiscretions in my earlier posts. I have removed that offending post. I too flew with good old babu and this year being the 30th anniversary of that tragedy must have brought forth sad, bitter and fond memories. The lessons to be learned are to stand up to those who wronged our righteuos colleagues and make sure they don't get away with their sickening actions.

Heard from a few buddies that the kondehless creep bullied a much respected ex MAS colleague who retired suffering from some bone marrow conditions and nobody stood up.So sad; they could have dispatched the creep the trash can or bloodied his nose so that he dare not try his ****ty stunts again. The victim was a gem of a gentleman and to hear of him being stressed to possible illness by such bullying is indeed sad, more shocking to hear no one lift a finger to help.

Paishinel
25th Jul 2007, 09:47
That's very good of you Sireh; castrate that creep but please let his victims be spared the dirt. I believe not many people on Pprune is aware of MAS flight MH653 on 4Dec 1997. May you guys should contribute more info since this is the 30th anniversary.

JaguhDunia
25th Jul 2007, 23:30
Raj is dead right; got confirmation from some insiders that the creepy bhai twisted some arms and got his equally arrogant son into the Mas cadet pilot scheme. Seems the creep boasts to all and sundry that it is extremely hard to get into the cadet scheme and his son is the cream of the lot to get in! Ha, ha, ha we all know that sort of hot air!

As for MH 653, I only heard sketchy details as I was only a form 1 kid then. So the MAS veterans, can you fill us in ?

PendekarTunggal
26th Jul 2007, 01:28
Hi guys, it's my first post here but I feel I must weigh in on this. As Tongkat mentioned earlier, there are a number of low lifes who are the puki bhai's bed fellows. One notable one was an ass champion previously on the DC-10's and later was charged with sexual harassment of a punjabi stewardess but the bhai worked hard to get the ass of a chinaman off the hook and now this ass owes the bhai a big favor. So you will expect this ass who had join Korean to tell the fellas up there to lay off the bhai. As far as I know the bhai got lawyer friends and goons to threaten the poor lass to drop the charges. I am sure a lot of MAS boys know this but choose to close their eyes and ears. I flew with the puki bhai before dan he sure is a low life!

Molokai
26th Jul 2007, 05:03
Hello Paishinel & others,
I just recently start to browse thru' the far East threads; is this all true, a pilot's union president fictitiously awarding himself a special more senoir union membership number? Holy cow! And you guys put up with that?!!!:ugh:
In the " civilised world " we would have strung him up by the balls and booted him into stinking hell. Never ever try such stunts in a professional body.:=

PendekarTunggal
26th Jul 2007, 05:27
Alas Molokai, it ain't pretty but we guys in MAS really stuffed up big time then. Yes, IT IS TRUE!. Subsequent MAPA presidents and office bearers knew that and chose to keep quiet as they felt a " loss of face ". And to add insult to injury they took out congratulatory messages when the human trash got the datukship. What baloney? Utter crap! Welcome to the world of ****ty senseless dolts.:{:ugh:

Kalistan
26th Jul 2007, 06:16
Sad thing at Jet too years ago when he was helping run the show. The creep run us all down; pushing his chinaboy lap dog wee wee boy as chief instructor. When the DGCA questioned the credentials this pariah threw such huff and puff belittling everybody around then. Met a few MAS cabin crew after our sim sessions in KUL and they didn't have good things to say about him, like forcing them to offload onboard inflight service liquor and champagne for him. what a cheap ****; earning thousands but forcing poor crew to risk their jobs giving him inflight stuff. What a ****head piece of work!

bungacengkeh
26th Jul 2007, 07:00
Namaste Sardarji! Nice to see somebody from Mother India trolling in this Far East thread. Ya, the human trash alluded to is really a piece of work. A relative who was a chief steward told me that this pariah was so full of himself that even now when he travel on MH to India he still try throwing weight around and threatening to get his cohoots still in MH to fix cabin crew who do not doggie bag inflight liquor for him! What an el cheapo and big bully! All Jet Airways hopefuls please stay away from such crap. Use paishinel's info and contact and you should do fine.

Tongkat Ali
26th Jul 2007, 07:16
Wow, looks like the ex Mh boys from the sandpit are coming out in full force to hammer the pundeh bhai.What about the boys over in SEL, too yellow ( pardon the pun ) to say anything?

bakutteh
26th Jul 2007, 20:01
Hi everyone, my first attempt at posting so don't incinerate me. What Kalistan referred to is absolutely true as I have seen it first hand having paxed with this fella. As for Pendekar, the DC-10 champion ass is no longer in Korean as he had returned to Dynasty and I don't think the boys in SEL care too much for him. Wooblah, would you kindly fill the boys in on Ganjor and his ill fated flight as most do not know anything at all. This year is the 30th anniversary and I think some nice tributes for that wonderful fella will be in order. Cheers!

Hassan Bok
27th Jul 2007, 01:07
Hello & assalamualaikum all,

I am now allowed back here and so please do not ask me why I kena buang...maybe in another forum.
For those of you who want to know more about the Tanjung Kupang crash on 4th Dec 1977 I will tell you just enough to avert another ban. The said flight was MH 653 a B732 from PEN to KUL with Babu Ganjoor as the skipper and Kamarulzaman as the F/O. On board were 5 cabin crew with 3 VIP pax, 2 datuks and the then Cuban embassador. One of the datuk was the then Malaysian Agriculture Minister was purportedly under investigation by the Anti-Corruption Agency, the other a civil servant from JKR. On approach to the old Subang airport KUL, the aircraft abandoned the landing and proceeded to SIN. Ganjoor reported an unknown hijacker demanding flight be diverted to SIN. Initially the pilots did not deem the hijacker by the Minister's bodyguard as serious and probably thought of it as a nonsensical action of a drunkard. This probably riled the hijackers and the crew's futile attempts to placate and humour them were misconstrued as extreme disrespect. Moreover Ganjor was an Indian national, and just 8 years after the racial riots in Malaysia, the Malay minister and his bodyguard were pissed that a non-Malay was in charge and trying to downplay their authoritative threat. More so a Malay boy as the copilot was listening to an non-Malay captain and trying to divert them from their objective. With the ACA investigation weighing heavily on the heads the drunkards just couldn't think right and rashly shot the F/O who they perceived as talking too much. In trying to calm himself in the extremely stressful situation, Babu asked to chew sireh ( betel nut leaves and lime ) and even offer that to the hijackers. This set the hijackers into a murderous rage ( they perceived this as an insult as only lowly Indian labourers and coolies chew such stuff ), and they shot him too. A stewardess came in to try and save the plane, but the rest was history with 100 dead, including some of my very good friends. I need to stress again the bane of malaysian society....datuks. I need a break...check in later, much later.:{:{:{

JaguhDunia
27th Jul 2007, 02:49
Welcome back, Hassan! Thanks for the info, though still sketchy. I hope others who do not face any threat of ban can come forth with more details....Wooblah, MAStake, MASsenger, Sireh, Super Ranger? Where is Old Ace?

Mat Tongkang
27th Jul 2007, 03:25
Dear Molokai,
There isn't any pilot union in Malaysia, only an association known by the acronym MAPA ( Malaysian Airlines Pilots Association ). Unfortunately this organisation is used by ambitious blokes to get noticed by the management and the uninformed public, thereby securing a stepping stone to stab colleagues in the back later when they rise up ( or sink ) into the airline management ranks.:{

ssangyongs
27th Jul 2007, 04:24
love to see another version of tanjung kupang tragedy. But from what i heard and read from the mainstream media and wikipedia, the supposed hijacker is a japanese red faction army whatsoever. I was made to believe that because what happened then they said, maybe "have some links to the kidnapping at wisma denmark years ago" i dont know....

what released to the media might be 'contaminated' and they mixed up the story and put the blame on the japs red faction. well, malaysian government can do anything, what more to avoid another racial disaster only 8 years after the riot. if a former prime minister can be accused as a homosexual maniacs, the tanjung kupang cover up was only a piece of cake for propaganda team...

Sireh
27th Jul 2007, 09:52
The talk about Japanese Red Army is a red herring, or at worst absolute nonsense. The truth was after the " mysterious " death of the PM Razak, the agriculture minister lost the protection of his patron and the then new PM Hussein Onn was a no nonsense guy who would not scuttle an ACA investigation to protect a corrupt minister. So the corrupt bloke got desperate, lost his mind and we had the Tanjong Kupang tragedy. Note Tanjong was still spelt as Tanjong, not Tanjung then. It was a long 30 years ago.
I was a lowly F/O then, and much as I would like to slug the pundeh bhai after his taking advantage of Babu's widow under false pretenses, nothing much could be done except to treat the creep like a pariah. Unfortunately, the low lifes with influence thought of his exploit as " heroic " conquest ". bah, real ****ty low lifes!

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
28th Jul 2007, 06:44
Dear all,

I think the events have been well detailed in the following posts and yes, the red army story was a total curved ball.

The funny thing is that after all these years I remember Babu so well. The beard and the parties at his house. The black label and his funny grin. And, his famous party tricks with the playing cards, and of course the beetle nut. Imagine what an impact he had on me and yes I did say to myself, I would like to be like him when I became a Captain. He was a skillful operator whith great communication skills and a teacher second to none with an abundance of patience. He was well liked by pilots, cabin crew and all ground staff mainly because of his kindness, patience and respect to all regardless of rank and position.

The hijack was terrible and the stress and pain experienced by all on board must have been horrific. Being the PIC Babu would have tried everything in his power to ease the situation and get his passengers and crew safely on the ground. But to no avail, incidentally that day was his wedding anniversary (funny how I remember that) and that was the reason he did not further delay the flight as he was insisting that the bodyguard surrender his weapon. If I am not mistaken Babu had previously delayed a flight by an hour on an other occasion because the same bodyguard refused to surrender his weapon but because on this fateful day it was his wedding anniversary and he promised to take his wife out on the town he allowed the weapon on board. Remember this was the 70's and a hijack on a domestic Malaysia flight was unheard of. The hijacker(s) took control ex PEN and just before or after touchdown SZB (I don't remember too well) they decided to go to SIN for reasons unknown. At this point the poor old FO (god rest his soul for he was also engaged to me married) was dead in the seat and Babu was trying his best to convince the perpetrators to allow the aircraft to land and release the pax and crew, refuel and he would take them to the destination of their choice. Unfortunately they decided that prison was not for them and that suicide was the only option. They shot poor old Babu and the aircraft went into a dive, exceed Mach 1 and crashed into the swamp nose first. The velocity of the fuselage was such that it took 6 months for the nose section to be be recovered. I believe that no bodies were ever recovered and all on board are buried in a mass grave at the site of impact.

Yes I do believe there should be a memorial to all but I think that perhaps that after all these years the truth about the hijacking should be revealed to the public.

Wooblah.