PDA

View Full Version : Australian Military Pilot Advice

Hazer88DU
24th Jun 2007, 06:13
Hi everyone. I am 19 years old and am preparing to go through direct entry into the Australian Defence Force Pilot Selection Program (ADF PSP) in July next year. I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on how they got through military pilot application and the pilot/officer selection board. Courses they did, books they studied etc. Basically just any advice on becoming a Military Pilot.

havick
24th Jun 2007, 06:34
Hazer, there are a couple of threads already on this topic.. Just try searching for FSP and you should get a bunch of hits.

Good luck.

BentStick
26th Jun 2007, 06:26
Agree on Pass-A-Frozo's comments, and would add that your selection starts from initial contact and first recruiting interview. Everyone you talk to will document your performance, how you present, your knowledge of the ADF and whether or not your expectations are realistic.

Biggest killers after initial selection (at flight screening) are maturity and inability to learn at the right pace.

Listen carefully and act on any advice given at recruiting and hopefully flight screening.

Most applicants for ADF pilot are rejected on medical grounds. (asthma, previous surgery, drugs, or any medication for extended periods).

Good Luck

helopat
26th Jun 2007, 08:51
Firm handshakes with board members. Make eye contact when speaking to the members of the board. Dress neatly. If you want to be in defence, act that way. If asked a question, pause a moment while formulating an answer and then answer the question. Answer the question and then STOP...don't keep rambling on. Concur...don't try to bs your way through a question...if you don't know, fess up and say it (you're not supposed to know everything...thats part of what defence will do once you're in).

There you have it...good advice at an interview as well as during the rest of your career.

HP

BombsGone
26th Jun 2007, 10:25
Agree with Pass-a-Frozo with regards to doing some flying prior to flight screening.
My advice would be to do a few hours immediately before the pilot selection process in Tamworth if only to get over any air sickness issues. The last thing you want is to be distracted by feeling crook on your first few trips.
You don't need to work on any specifics as you'll be shown during flight screening how the Military wants you to fly and marked according to how well you can pick up some basic routines. Just have a look at the circuit and a few aeros so its not all new to you.
Turn up with a positive attitude and be able to show you are motivated and have done your homework.

Good Luck

Hazer88DU
26th Jun 2007, 15:25
Wow, thanks guys you've given me so much detailed infomation, I have one question though. Whats the maximum amount of flying hours for me to be put with the Basic pilots (or where can I find out that infomation) and if I do preflight screening flight courses will I be considered with the Advanced pilots (even through my preflight sceening flight courses are my only flight hours).

Once again thanks for all your help

reacher
27th Jun 2007, 01:41
The cut off is 20 hrs.
However, if you are cheeky and get 19 hrs in the weeks leading up to going to Tamworth, don't be surprised if you get bumped into the advanced group.

superfrozo
27th Jun 2007, 02:29
Hazer,

Excellent advice from all, and if you are willing to go that extra mile in your prep then check here:

http://www.blairaerosport.com.au/screening/screening.html

I am not affiliated with this company but I will certainly vouch for the operator. You will not find a more knowledgeble, suitably qualified/experienced and downright friendly guy to help you with all aspects of prepping for ADF flight screening.

Happy landings.:ok:

BentStick
27th Jun 2007, 02:55
From memory, 20 hrs is the cut-off.

<20hrs = 7 x CT-4 rides and 3 x CAP 10
>20hrs = 5 x CT-4 rides and 5 x CAP 10

A sliding scale is applied depending on how far you are under or over the 20 hrs.