PDA

View Full Version : African Ground Crew Target Air France

The Guvnor
26th Nov 2001, 18:57
African ground crew target Air France
Mon, 26 Nov 01 - 12:43
AirWatch Newswire

Employees of struggling airline Air Afrique have announced a go-slow today in protest at the prospect of Air France becoming the company's majority shareholder. Air France flights to and from a number of African destinations are expected to experience serious delays as a result, reports Air Wise News. Air Afrique faces debts of more than £300million as a result of long-term failings, made worse by the September 11th terrorist attacks and the ensuing crisis in the industry. A union spokesman told Air Wise that opposed to the prospect of Air France taking control of their national airline as a matter of pride. He said, 'what is at stake here is African pride. An African airline that flies over African skies, we cannot let foreigners call all the shots. We want to send a message to Air France and France that the old days are over when France dictated terms.' Ground crew at eleven former French colonies throughout Africa will go about their tasks in a 'leisurely fashion' expected to delay Air France flights for up to three hours.

The General
26th Nov 2001, 19:45
"A leisurely fashion"
Thats on a good day.....is it going to be any different now that they are doing it intentionally. Things will probably run faster now.
The difference is that Air France could probably run things in the black ( for nkama that means in profit) Scare Afrique couldn't organise a **** up in a brewery being so politisised.
I'll bet the first door the staff knock on when they are sitting without jobs will be Air France.
:mad:

NdekePilot
26th Nov 2001, 23:19
Flew Air Gabon where the cabin crew deposited a drinks trolley in the space by the exit for pax to " DIY " and then disappeared.....to go sleep? Guess this is SOP. A "leisurely flight" must be something to behold....
Seem to remember flying from JHB to Lusaka on the jumpseat of Zambia Airways' DC10 many years ago and the crew arguing that as "The Flag Carrier" there was no place for a foreign airline to put in management and turn the ailing airline around. They did not need foreign expertise to tell them how to run an airline...................................try as I might, I just can't seem to find Zambia Airways in my Flight International Airline Directory...must have a few pages missing... :rolleyes:

B Sousa
27th Nov 2001, 01:49
"Go Slow".........OK, what would a "Go Normal" or heaven forbid a "Go Fast" look like, I thought Go slow was Normal......

vincecrosbie
29th Nov 2001, 05:56
The "go slow" is reeaally... slow 4hrs NDJ - NIM? forget it - crew rest 10hrs then another 2hr delay on departure!!