PDA

View Full Version : ACSA Dumps 'Affirmative' Security Firm After Security Fiascos

The Guvnor
25th Nov 2001, 15:12
From today's SA Sunday Times:

Airport fails bomb test
MZILIKAZI WA AFRIKA

SA airport authorities dump private firm after security fiasco

Drama to unfold in court this week as company challenges its axing

Security guards at South Africa's busiest airport failed to detect a fake bomb with an X-ray machine just six days after two
passenger jets slammed into the World Trade Center in New York.

As airports around the world launched a massive security clampdown against terror attacks, the safety of passengers and buildings at Johannesburg International Airport was in jeopardy.

Now the Airports Company of South Africa - which runs most major airports in the country - has fired the company it hired to protect passengers and aircraft around South Africa.

And it has the support of Transport Minister Dullah Omar.

One of the most serious security lapses at the airport, according to papers lodged in court, took place on September 17 - just days after South African airports were put on red alert in the wake of the US terror attacks at
Omar's request.

When security was tested at Omar's request, guards failed to identify a "test bomb" put through an X-ray machine.

A test bomb kit is a fake bomb that is used to test the efficiency of X-ray machines at airports.

The same day, no searches were conducted on vehicles entering and leaving a restricted area, it is claimed in court papers.

A Department of Transport spokesman, Mike Mabasa, said on Friday: "We fully support all the moves being taken by [the Airports Company], including cancelling or terminating the contract they have with the security company.

"As the minister has said before, safety comes first. We cannot compromise the safety of our passengers, other airlines or the airport buildings at any expense."

More than five million people board flights and more than 76 000 aircraft land at the airport each year.

The axed company, Khuselani Security and Risk Management, was awarded a R99-million three-year contract in June last year to guard 10 major airports.

It has now refused to accept that it has been fired.

Tomorrow it will take the Airports Company to the Johannesburg High Court in an attempt to stop it terminating the contract on Friday.

Noel Ngwenya, Khuselani's chief executive, said: "We are being ambushed. It's daylight robbery.

"The whole thing is a joke. [The Airports Company] is trying to replace us with another company."

The Airports Company sent Khuselani 15 letters of complaint over the past three months detailing security problems at Johannesburg International. In these letters, which have been lodged in court, Khuselani was told that it had breached its contract and was given seven days to rectify each of the problems.

The complaints in the letters include allegations that:

- A gunshot went off while one of Khuselani's guards was doing a "safety drill" in August. A stray bullet penetrated the floor;

- During an inspection on September 4, a guard was found asleep at the Jet Centre aircraft gate. His head was covered with a balaclava;

- On September 11, the day of the US attacks, two guards were found at Customs without licences for their guns;

- On September 15, a security officer deserted his post for 40 minutes after booking out to go to the toilet;

- On September 21 at Terminal 6, a security officer failed to search 30 bags;

- On September 23 at Terminal 3, two guards failed to search people because they were reading newspapers; and

- On the same day in Customs, two guards allowed 10 bags to pass by without searching them.

Some of the incidents were recorded on closed-circuit TV.

In a letter responding to the Airports Company's complaint about the fake
bomb not being detected, Khuselani said "the test bomb issue has been addressed" and a refresher course for staff had been scheduled for October.

Khuselani also said it had solved the problems concerning the searching of vehicles. Disciplinary action had been taken against staff.

Nevertheless, the Airports Company terminated the contract.

An Airports Company spokesman, Charmaine Lodewyk, said the company had been summonsed to appear in court tomorrow in connection with the dispute. She would not answer questions "as the matter is sub judice".

ZambAero
25th Nov 2001, 17:33
Oh dear, The Guvnor's racism snaps out again.
After being censured for spouting off anti-semitic drivel on "Jet Blast" he comes up with this "headline".
So come on Guvnor, explain your 'Affirmative' jibe? Do you have any proof that this company was awarded this contract solely on the afirmative action basis that you're claiming? That the security guards were less able to do the job than AngloSaxons?
Come, if you're going to submit racist posts, do us all the decency of explaining your theories.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Techchick
25th Nov 2001, 18:23
As a former resident of Zambia, Zambaero, I just cant resist this.....

One Zambia
One Nation
One Railway
One Station. :D

fergineer
25th Nov 2001, 19:14
Zambaero, chill out, he is only posting what was written by a newspaper so therefore does not have to answer for them. :rolleyes:

B Sousa
25th Nov 2001, 19:52
Where is "Nkama" now..........

Techchick
25th Nov 2001, 20:17
Or Rokana or Nchanga for that matter..... :D :D :D

Tyende pamodzi..... :D

The Guvnor
25th Nov 2001, 21:54
ZambAero = my very own cyberstalker: Who?, Freeboot, Freenum and too many other identities to mention... :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

ZambAero
25th Nov 2001, 22:48
Sorry fergineer (BTW how is the job with Caledonian Wings going?), you missed what I said back there>
True, the article is straight form a newspaper, but The Guvnor has added his own racist outlook to it by insinuating that the security company was only awarded this contract as an 'Affirmative' action. I'm just asking him to back up this racist allegation.

So come on Guvnor, explain your 'Affirmative' jibe? Do you have any proof that this company was awarded this contract solely on the afirmative action basis that you're claiming? That the security guards were less able to do the job than AngloSaxons?

Still awaiting your exlaining your racist theories Guvnor.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

B Sousa
25th Nov 2001, 23:02
Zambero. If its a major business in South Africa, I dont think he needs to back up anything.....Its a given that no soley white owned and operated company would get the contract. I do believe its law....
Whats your point? It will no doubt be replaced by a company of the same compostion and the same problems will exist. Its just a matter of who gets the Mercedes......

south coast
25th Nov 2001, 23:53
interesting debate...
however, i think the point is that a test-bomb was undetected by the security company employed to stop such things. all over the world, europe and america in particular, over-eager journalists are going out of their way to see what they can get away with and to test airport security, since recent events.surely, if they are unable to offer the protection they agreed to provide they should have their contract terminated without policies of governments interfearing.
is it really a race issue?

B Sousa
26th Nov 2001, 01:08
I doubt if race would be an issue, if it were not for the manner in which jobs are given in SA. Its the NEW govermnment now and qualifications are not a factor. All said on that one, you should see what gets through here in the states. It took thousands of deaths for the U.S. to realize depending on the lowest bidder for security is not the greatest thing in the world. I also see now that the morons at the airport in San Francisco (SFO) are screaming as they will lose their jobs because they are not U.S. Citizens. DUH.........
Security at airports here in the states are now, in my opinion, a knee jerk reaction and are not doing anything other than making a great inconvenience for travelers. It will take time.
Where were we......hmmmmm something about .....Oh well

The Guvnor
26th Nov 2001, 13:38
Well, Who?/ZambAero/Freenum/Freeboot or whatever you're calling yourself this week - it's as B Sousa correctly identifies - (a) the term 'affirmative' is actually an official SA government term (as indeed is 'previously disadvantaged individual' so I'm not sure where you get the impression that it's racist; (b) government and quasi government organisations are required by law to contract with 'affirmative' firms wherever possible ; and (c) the author of this interesting article was one Mzilikazi Wa Afrika - yep, sounds like a real Boeremense that chap! :rolleyes:

Stop trying to maliciously stir the sh!t as you always do.