PDA

View Full Version : Military hours to civilian hours

Whitebug-speed
25th Nov 2001, 13:22
In Britain the military pilots are allowed to multiply a factor to their military hours to obtain the equivilant civilian hours to log in their civvy logbooks. Is there such a thing in South Africa ?

B Sousa
25th Nov 2001, 19:57
Multiply a factor to their hours?? Here We call that padding your logbook or the Parker Pen hours.
How would that work, fly two hours while scared s-h-i-t-less gives it a factor of two. So you log four?? Interesting.

Agaricus bisporus
25th Nov 2001, 21:02
No, Mr Sousa, nothing like that at all actually. The British military log airborne time only whareas civvy hours are brakes on to brakes off. Thus if you fly a military type you may be able to factor up the mil hours to an equivalent civvy time which can be a useful saving if considering hours building at £300 p/h.

Sadly only really applies to f/w or wheeled helos, helos on skids dont have brakes you see...

B Sousa
25th Nov 2001, 21:10
I understand, just had to jump in and bust his chops a bit.......
I saw a lot of Army Helo drivers who were logging as long as the blades were turning. They reasoned that if something went wrong while they were at the controls they would get hammered, so why not grab the time as PIC. Im hoping that after they got enough "ground hours" it no longer became necessary....
I also know of a lot of guys in Alaska who for years never logged time. Airplanes were just a mode of transportation. Recently the FAA in their wisdom and under the guise of Aircraft Safety (lot of accidents up there, but you have to look at conditions)started hammering these folks that had no documneted way to show their thousands of hours. It became a real stink that has calmed a bit....
Africa has a lot of similar tales.

recceguy
25th Nov 2001, 21:21
Multiplying hours by a factor: the big question, is this factor above 1, or inferior to it ? would it be 0.8, 0.98, 1.1, 1.4...?.... and will military transport (Hercules?) be factorised the same way as fighter hours ?
I think the idea to keep, is that you cannot really add military and civilian hours, like adding kilograms to meters....
After many years on Mirage, in my first weeks on heavies, we had to wait 20 minutes at the holding point, and after that I expressed to the captain my interest in the fact that those 20 mns did appear on the flight time. But it was ten years ago, now I got used to it...

I am european, flying in Europe and would like to come to Africa

Happy landings

4HolerPoler
26th Nov 2001, 00:41
If it's any measure to go by, the CAA accepted every military hour that I had when it came time to get my civlian licences. I've never seen any documentation that rescinds this acceptance.