PDA

View Full Version : so is africa where the party's at?

joechen
21st Nov 2001, 06:15
i'm an aussie pilot with 500 hrs, 'bout 100 multi, 206/210 time, IR, etc etc and all that. what would my prospects be in africa? is it hard to get your license converted over? whereabouts should someone like myself go in order to get a flying job? any input would be appreciated thanks.

JJflyer
21st Nov 2001, 19:47
Hey there...

Have a look at " Rossair again... " thread. Some info there that you might find useful.

Republic of South Africa would be the place of choise to obtain a licence that is considered quite acceptable around Western and Eastern Africa. Try contacting Blueline69 for more info. He is know to be on the nerve about hiring and could possibly give you a hand.

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: JJflyer ]

blueline69
22nd Nov 2001, 23:21
Thanks for that word of confidence JJ. I would say , try Maun. It sounds like Swamprat is the man to speak to there. Namibia is also a good bet. In Gabarone there is Kalaharie Air Services. Sorry , no contact numbers for you. :(

Rossair at the moment are not really taking in any 1900 co-pilots. They have to many as it is. Don't know about the Twotters though. If you have a DC 3 TP rating , your in. They are looking for pilots on that. Can't help you much more than that. If you want to call them : +2711 701 3500. Hope this helps :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4HolerPoler
23rd Nov 2001, 01:42
Kalahari Air Services Gab's office is +267 351 804 (I think).

joechen
23rd Nov 2001, 15:08
thanks for the heads ups people

TALUFTE
27th Nov 2001, 04:12
What's it like to live in Maun? What would a typical work day be for a newly hired low-time co-pilot at one of the various charter operators? Is the end of December the major hiring time? If not when is? How long do most new guys last?
I don't think that ground fire (bullets) would be a factor in Maun given its proximity to the various safari parks in Botswana.....or is it? How about malaria? Any other nasty viruses/diseases floating around over there, aside from aids and ebola? Anything else that comes to mind would be appreciated.
Thanks

joechen
27th Nov 2001, 07:02
what's involved in getting an overseas license converted to say a SA license? is it just like a theory test and flight review? and how long does it usually take for the paperwork to go though?