PDA

View Full Version : Light Aircraft Insurance in the US

GWidgery
21st Jun 2007, 18:05
I'm a UK PPL holder, and am visiting the US this summer. I've sent off my details to the CAA and FAA, and have my licence verified. I've spoken to a flying school and have an aircraft booked for the days I need. I must say I was amazed at how much out of their way they would go to give me a hand.
Then I asked the question about insurance, and what kind I get by becoming a member of the club. Answer: There is no membership, you have to get your own insurance. :ugh: I thought.
Anyone know how to go about getting an aircraft insured in the US? I've had a look at some websites, but it all seems to be for anual premiums, and seeing as I'm only gonna be flying on and off for a few weeks, that's a bit of a waste of money!
Does anyone know of a company that would insure a foreigner for a few weeks?
Thanks
GWidgery

WildDart
21st Jun 2007, 19:20
I must agree that the us is better for flight training i am going out there to finish my ppl off and various other things in Late july

Im just taking away 50 pound insurance, health insurance that is.

If your renting an aircraft you won't need insurance they have it covered. If I do need insurance does that mean i'll need to get it for PA28???

GWidgery
21st Jun 2007, 19:23
The ac I'm renting doesn't have insurance, I'm gonna have to get that myself, problem is, I don't exactly know how I go about doing that!

DaveW
21st Jun 2007, 19:36
You may wish to review this recent thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=279043&page=2), from post 32 onwards.

There are potentially serious issues with foreign pilots not being covered by insurance in the USA; even if you think you are, you might not be. :ugh:

There are discrepancies in the available information, though, which that thread discusses.

C172Navigator
22nd Jun 2007, 13:46
I got insurance with Avemco (http://www.avemco.com/) for my last trip, I have also used AOPA in the past.

You need a US posting address, but with Avemco you can get the documents online, AOPA post them out. If you speak to the flight school you're renting from you should be able to use their address.

happy_feet
26th Jun 2007, 03:12
Best bet is to contact AOPA. Whether you are renting or not. Most renters believe they are covered by the rental contracts it is just not the case. AOPA offers online insurance that covers injuries and an additional aircraft liability coverage for renters. This second coverage can take care of the discrepancies between what the business insurance and what the underwriter wants to reimburse and how much they feel the pilot needs to pay. This also applies to student pilots. Most of the folks here think that they are entirely covered by the flightschools, it is partially true. If a CFI is on board his insurance and the flightschool insurance cover usually everything. If you are a student doing solo and something happens to the airplane or anyone, you will most like ly be held financially responsible for some of the damage.
http://www.aopaia.com/
Cheers

GWidgery
26th Jun 2007, 14:21
Thanks for all the replies! I've sent of my application to AOPA, so should all be sorted now.

Walsall
29th Jun 2007, 09:34
Our own AOPA have investigated this problem and they have drawn a blank, they tell me that its impossible for a foreign pilot to get insurance in the USA
If you are a member of our UK AOPA give them a ring, if not a member why not join. They do a lot for GA in the UK.