PDA

View Full Version : Question about ME (Multi-engine), and another question???

WildDart
21st Jun 2007, 16:30
Hi guys, im thinking about doing my JAA ME licence, can a 17 year old do this? In addition does this enable me to fly lets for a say King Air 350 with this licence and if im trained to do so?

P.S i don't get the difference between JAA and CAA

Is a JAA PPL better than a CAA PPL and visa versa?

Sorry for questions, thanks in advance to whom can resolve my pickle im in:D

BHenderson
21st Jun 2007, 17:52
1. A 17 year old can get a PPL/ME but not a CPL/ME until 18 years old. The standard ME rating does not cover the King Air, you would need a type rating.

2. In a nutshell, JAA is a collection of national CAAs who work together to standardise training across Europe. A CAA licence is no longer issued, but instead a JAA licence which is valid across Europe.

3. You cannot train towards a CAA PPL, the JAA PPL has replaced it.

May I suggest that you read the 'How to become a pilot' post.

Bobby

Dr Eckener
21st Jun 2007, 17:54
There is no such thing as a CAA PPL, only JAA.

Have a look at LASORS on www.caa.co.uk as it should answer your questions.

An MEP rating requires post PPL experience, so you need to assess if you have this. An MEP is for any multi engine piston aircraft below 5700kg, with some exceptions, and subject to differences training. A King Air does not fit this category as it is a turboprop, so type rating required.

WildDart
21st Jun 2007, 17:54
Thanks very much for clearing that up for me, now hopefully i can do my ME rating this summer. :)

FlyingForFun
21st Jun 2007, 19:51
WildDart,

I notice from another post you made earlier today that you have 12 hours logged towards your PPL so far.

Are you aware that, in order to get a ME rating on your license, you need to have logged 70 hours PIC (i.e. 70 hours without an instructor)? I think you probably have a little way to go before you reach this - this summer may be a little ambitious?

FFF
---------------

gcolyer
21st Jun 2007, 20:00
Possibly a lot ambitious. But ambition and drive is a good thing.

High Wing Drifter
22nd Jun 2007, 07:32
There is no such thing as a CAA PPL, only JAA.
Sort of, not entirely relevant to the thread, but a UK CAA issued JAA PPL is distinct from an IAA issued JAA PPL. You can only add an IMC rating to the former.

S-Works
22nd Jun 2007, 08:03
To be pedantic, of course there is such a thing as a CAA PPL. They just don't issue them anymore since JAA and soon now we won't have JAA PPL, we will have EASA ones.

Whopity
22nd Jun 2007, 22:51
Dr E
An MEP is for any multi engine piston aircraft below 5700kg,Another deliberate mistake! There is no 5700 Kg limit for MEP, that went out with Group B 7 years ago!

Dr Eckener
23rd Jun 2007, 08:39
What would I do without you Whopity :ok: