PDA

View Full Version : Taking off in crosswinds

Weasel123
21st Jun 2007, 12:41
Was at Stansted the other day, fairly breezy crosswinds, and noticed a number of different techniques adopted when taking off to account for the weather. The one that grabbed my attention was Ryanairs pilots seemed to adopt the "gun it" approach to taking off, eg. put your foot down and blast through the wind!!

My question is, does there come a point where if taking off in crosswinds you can be going too fast?

BOAC
21st Jun 2007, 12:46
Take off speeds are not normally adjusted for 'crosswinds'. So, no.

Intruder
21st Jun 2007, 18:38
If there were also a windshear alert in effect, they may adjust VR and V2 upward. In general, that could put V2 as high as V2 for max T/O weight, even at light weights.

BOAC
21st Jun 2007, 19:32
Not in my 737 book, Intruder - which a/c are you talking about? The only Boeing 737 advice is to consider using a less-reduced power setting in windshear conditions, and I read the enquiry as a general 'Vr' question I think?

Boeing's 737 NG advice is as follows:

Wind corrections are not made to VR and V2 speeds. V1 is corrected as shown in the Operations Manual for headwind or tailwind components and runway slope.

Obviously increasing V2 will improve the windshear margin.

I'm interested in a reference for your post.

Intruder
22nd Jun 2007, 07:52
747. The OPS computer system does that when we put windshear into the takeoff performance calculaton.

Rainboe
22nd Jun 2007, 09:15
I think you simly witnessed higher power being used for take-off if windshear warnings were in effect. Perhaps shorter, light load legs with higher power? Nothing unusual.

Weasel123
22nd Jun 2007, 10:16
Thanks for that everyone, just asked out of curiosity!

As a petrified flyer I like to know what I can scare myself with next time I get on a plane!! :E