PDA

View Full Version : Asiana / Korean Air

nona
21st Jun 2007, 01:14
Just got an email. Heard about the series of comprehensive test inc medical, company, gov't and without career advancement or chance for upgrade, ETIHAD/QTR/EMIRATES/AIRLANKA/VIETNAM is still more attractive. WORD of advise: do NOTresign from your post til u pass all these tests.

nona
21st Jun 2007, 05:28
Is there any education subsidy with any of these 2 airlines? heard it cost around 1500usd per month for intl school in korea. In these case, commuting should be the most appropriate, for pilots will not be bringing their children in korea. if there is no education subsidy, is there commuting contract? commuting or education subsidy. either one should be applied. also heard that there is no upgrade frm 320 737 to widebody. stick to ur equipment til u retire. no career advancement. Knew all these coz friends of mine from asiana now in qatar. lots of them. in 2 yrs time they will be flying a330 or 777. good deal!

flyguykorea
21st Jun 2007, 08:03
KE doesn't offer Seoul based positions - it's all commuting. Living expenses in Seoul? Doesn't come into play as you commute except for time spent laying over at the Hyatt Incheon when in Seoul.

Atlanta-Driver
22nd Jun 2007, 05:24
Anyone flying on the 777. Mostly regional routes I gather. What else could one expect on the when joining KAL on the 777 fleet?

AD

3holer
23rd Jun 2007, 02:14
AD

DFW SEA LAX SFO ORD JFK LAS YVR SYD AKL GUM NRT PEK PVG HKG BKK MNL and just recently VIE and MAD:D

ratpoison
23rd Jun 2007, 06:08
3holer
Just to keep ya fingers dancing, what about the 744 routes. Danke

74world
23rd Jun 2007, 06:52
G'day,

Just wondering if there is any SYD base KE 744 and 777 drivers that could answer those questions:

1-How many days work per month?
2-How many days off at the base per month in a block?
3-Do you bid for days off or trips?
4-Take home pay (salary+per diem)
5-average flight time/month
6-best fleet to be on? (routes, days off, lifestyle, crews....)
7-Best broker, broker to avoid dealing with, and why?

Thanks....cheers. :cool:

flyguykorea
23rd Jun 2007, 06:59
LHR, FRA, CDG, FCO, MOW, OSL, VIE, CPH, HEL, BRU, MXP, LUX, DXB, TLV, BOM, DEL, BKK, SIN, KUL, HKG, MNL, CGK, DPS, PEK, PVG, GUM, SYD, AKL, NRT, HND, KIX, YYZ, ANC, SFO, LAX, DFW, IAH, ORD, ATL, IAD, JFK.

May have missed a few but you get the idea. Of course, some routes are seasonal.

filejw
24th Jun 2007, 00:02
And while your at it this question. If your say JFK based do you DH out or work as operating crew...Thanks:O

airbus2boeing
24th Jun 2007, 01:52
If your say JFK based do you DH out or work as operating crew...Thanks

Both, they will try to give you a trip out of your home base but it's not guarantee.

Fragglerock
25th Jun 2007, 05:36
Captain position with Korean air or Asiana
Does anyone have any hiring information with Korean airlines or Asiana Airlines for a Captain position? I know both carriers have foreign pilots working for them. What are the requirements for A320,B737,B777 or B747 Captain slot and how do you apply for the job. Do you have to go through an agency to apply? What is the pay? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

galdian
25th Jun 2007, 07:45
Fraggle
Go into Pprune archives and type in a few titles, also the existing backpages of this forum.
The info you request has been flogged to death over the last 3-4 months, admittedly mainly Korean but also some Asiana.

have fun.:ok:

Fragglerock
26th Jun 2007, 18:24
Fraggle
Go into Pprune archives and type in a few titles, also the existing backpages of this forum.
The info you request has been flogged to death over the last 3-4 months, admittedly mainly Korean but also some Asiana.

have fun.:ok:

Hello All,

Went to the archives, and didn't find any really pertinent or current info. Anyone have any info on KAL that's current? Which contract agencies are best, and offer the best packages? Are they really hiring Capt without type? I would appreciate any info from someone who is currently working there, or recently went through the process. Thanks.

F-Rock

Capt Chambo
26th Jun 2007, 23:19
Not on the 744 but hope the following helps you a little..
Just wondering if there is any SYD base KE 744 and 777 drivers that could answer those questions:
1-How many days work per month?
You get 6 hard days + 3 soft days and you can take your 2 days leave per month. On the 744 & 777 I believe you get 3 commuting days per month. So in a 31 day month you will be away from home for 18 days. You will also get legal minimum days off between trips whilst at work.
2-How many days off at the base per month in a block?
See above, probably somewhere around about 5-6
3-Do you bid for days off or trips?
There is no bid system per se but that's not to say you can't ask the schedulers for a particular trip. They are also flexible with your days off so you can adjust your blocks of days off within reason.
4-Take home pay (salary+per diem)
Pay varies between fleets, the 744 are on USD$12K+, the 777 are on USD$10.7K+. The per diems will vary but are about USD$ 1000 per month. (These figures are from the gapaviation website)
5-average flight time/month
The 747 & 777 are considered the long haul fleet and they work hard, and you frequently hear of guys going into overtime. You will also find yourself going east one trip and then west on your next trip, then east again....
[I]6-best fleet to be on? (routes, days off, lifestyle, crews....)
Not on either so very subjective. B747 pays more is the bigger fleet has more expats on it, has a mix of cargo and pax. The B777 is probably the aircraft for the longer term future, is more modern, but pays less, and goes to (marginally) fewer destinations.
7-Best broker, broker to avoid dealing with, and why?
I think the general consensus is that CCL are the best brokers. But it is horses for courses so do your homework.
Fragglerock
Hope the above also answers your questions.
Re, hiring non-type rated DECs. I haven't seen the adverts but believe that you should read the wording carefully. My understanding is that they will hire you if you have time on a suitable type e.g. B767 for the B777 say, BUT you have to go away and come back with a B777 command type rating at your own expense. As I say I haven't seen the advert but that is my understanding from talking to other crew, so may well be wrong.

nona
27th Jun 2007, 00:47
is Asiana a right place for 320 and 737 drivers? talking about upgrade and advancement. what is the regulations re this matter?

Fragglerock
27th Jun 2007, 01:23
Capt Chambo,

Thanks, for the info. Do you currently work for KAL? If so, which agency did you use, and how long have you been there? Have you ran into an instructor there named Owen? If so, I've been trying to reach him. We used to fly together at a previous job. I worked there for a few years in the military, and really enjoyed it. I will check with Rishworth about the type not being required for the job, but you're probably right. They are also advertising 737 Capt positions without type. Do you know anything about that job? How about Asiana? I know that they are also hiring
Capts.

Thanks, again for the info. I would appreciate any more info that you can
provide.

F-Rock

neilb767
28th Jun 2007, 03:55
Can someone pls tell me who CCL recruitment is?

thanks

Clive
28th Jun 2007, 06:35
Just one question from me....

Does the Korean medical check have a limit on BMI (Body Mass Index)?

Yes, my days as a front row forward for my school rugby team are coming back to haunt me.

The reason I ask is that I am aware that the Japanese won't even look at you if you are over 29 BMI. So I'm keen to know the score in Korea.

Thanks in advance!

nona
30th Jun 2007, 14:29
friends of mine just left for ET and QR for these reasons. CAREER advancement or upgrade and very high cost of living/education (3rd in the world). as soon as you are accepted in QR/ET, ur seniority # is lined up for upgrade. something to look frwrd to.

johntrav69
30th Jun 2007, 18:55
CCL= Cambridge communications ltd
Also hiring for KAL are Rishworth and I think IAC Global?
Direct entry FO and Capt positions. CCL and rishworth are fairly similar on contracts, but suggest you get both sent and see which suits you better. Sim straightforward, TO-problem with ground services so return for VOR to land. 2nd TO, eng fail, continue and dump fuel, eng out ils to go around then capt gets second eng failure, fo will get visual cct to land and at some point they will throw in an RTO. Automatic flight is recommended and embraced except for Eng out ils but they will tell you when to disconnect. Medical much as you have seen here, same as in taiwan and japan from what I can gather. Hot on eyes, ears and blood tests (read cholesterol for most of us). Medical in morning at CAA, anything comes up it will be retested at hospital with more advanced equipment, any fails will need doctor letter from home country after rechecking but then a hire is imminent. Interview lasts from between 5 and 20 mins from what I can gather. Really only interested in whether they can understand your english I think but of course be careful what you say. Maybe 1 or 2 technical questions but fairly easy stuff. Put up in hotel by airport for duration of interview, 3-4 days normally. Nice crewroom with friendly guys on 3rd floor. Hotel v good. Bus tickets provided to get you to head office but need taxi for simulator and to/from hospital after caa medical. Pay out of pocket, at interview 100,000 won paid to you which almost covers your expenses. Close enough anyway. Tickets provided from home base to Seoul and you will need to pay the airport tax yourself which is then refunded by the agency with your 1st pay so if you dont take the job or fail interview, you end up paying yourself. All in all fairly straightforward and any guys current on type should have no problem, usual polite behaviour in Asia. When in Rome!!
Enjoy!

Clive
30th Jun 2007, 22:23
Thanks John.

Good info!!

You mention the medical is the same as Taiwan and Japan. The main difference between these two is the BMI. Taiwan don't have a specific limit however Japan snag you above 29.

Do you know if Korea have an upper limit on Body Mass Index?

Thanks in advance. And good luck with your process.

Capt.Bee
1st Jul 2007, 04:31
In Korea ,they don't have specific BMI limit.In fact ,they don't have at all.

speedtwoten
1st Jul 2007, 04:44
Anyone have any info regarding sim assesment and interview please give some clue:{ what are the sim profile look like's also what are the usual questions during interview:p

Clive
1st Jul 2007, 05:23
Thanks Capt. Bee.

Appreciate your help! :D

galdian
1st Jul 2007, 09:12
6 agencies - Rishworth, IAC, Euro pacific, CCL, GAP (Texas, goddam USofA) and sigmar.
All slightly different in the way they present the package, depends what you're looking for as to who has "best" package.
Bit of jungle drums saying Korean are willing to discuss making consecutive days off all "hard" rather than the present "hard, semi-hard, soft, plus commute days, usually get but..." approach in the contract. Big step forward if true.

Hey Clive - not getting onto the ski fields of Taiwan often enough to keep the kilo's under control or still compensating with the occasional P389 and/or K28 to undo all the hard work!! :ok:

Cheers
Galdian

albyyh
1st Jul 2007, 09:24
Does anyone know:

When I'm hired by Korean Air as a direct entry B744 F/O, upon completion of my training,

(1) Do I receive a Korean ATPL or CPL licence?
(2) Do I receive a B744 First Officer Rating (a Restricted Rating with SIC-only limitation) ? or do I get a full-privilege B744 rating?

( I'm now holding an ATPL / B744 < SIC > rating from another country...)

Thanks!

Clive
1st Jul 2007, 11:47
Oh oh.... they're onto me!!

Seems like you, in particular, know me too well Galdian.

Now I'll be losing sleep rather than kilo's. :cool:

galdian
1st Jul 2007, 12:29
Ahhh Clive

Been proven in many studies that worry/stress can actually cause many people to lose the odd kilo or two! :)

Don't thank me - just send money! :ok: (or some P389 or K28 would suffice more than adequately please ta thankyou, almost better than that useless US$ at the moment!) :eek:

VnavPath
2nd Jul 2007, 05:54
Need contact info/website of CCL, tried google but to no avail. Would somebody shed some light please.

airbus2boeing
2nd Jul 2007, 21:05
^^^NO WEBSITE for CCL. You can google it all you want and you'll find nothing. Applicants do apply via email, I'm sure your fellow PPruners can help you with that.

Clive
3rd Jul 2007, 02:34
OK Galdian.

I've been racking my brain for days on the P389 and K28 reference.

Guess I can't think as laterally now I'm a bit older. Help me please!! :confused:

Fragglerock
5th Jul 2007, 12:59
ktommy80,

From what I've learned, you will need time on type for the 320/330 at Asiana. With KAL, they don't have 320s, and aren't recruiting on the 330. It might be possible for you to apply for a Capt position on the 737, if you have over 5000 total and 2000 airline pic. Not sure if either is recruiting for fo. Check Rishworth, CCL and Parc aviation sites for more info.

There's plenty of info on this thread about KAL, but very little on Asiana. I'm tryint to make a decision on which one would be the best to work for. Anyone out there have any info? I know that with Asiana you are required to live in Seoul and have a minimum of 8 days off. They also pay for your apartment and pay 3000.00 per diem, with a salary of 6000.00 on the A320. I do have a few questions about them, if anyone can answer:

1. Anyone have any info on actual average days off per month and more info on pay?
2. How is the schedule on the 320?
3. Do they allow 320 Capts to apply for 330 Capt positions?
4. Is there any company recruiting for them other than Parc?
5. How are the apartments that they provide?
6. I've also found that they only give a 2 year contract. How does that work?

KAL seems to have a better contract. It is for a term of 5 years, and you are allowed to commute from anywhere on the KAL network with more days off. They are currently recruiting for the 747, 777 and 737.

Thanks, for any info. Trying to decide on Korea or working in the ME.

F-Rock

Jabewar
5th Jul 2007, 15:01
Has anyone had trouble with email being rejected when sending to CCL? I hadn't had problems previously but it has been a problem the last number of days.

Fragglerock
7th Jul 2007, 15:57
No, haven't had any trouble contacting CCL via email. Their website is still not working, though.

spankythai
11th Jul 2007, 14:38
Is KAL hiring 747-400 Decs w/out the type rating??

Stewsan
14th Jul 2007, 11:20
Spanky,
From what I understand is that they will interview you and if hired you'll have 3 months to get your type rating. You'll have to pay for it.....:eek:

Kapitanleutnant
15th Jul 2007, 06:43
Spanky..

They will accept applications but you have to have a type in a widebody of some sort.... 767 etc. No type required in the 777 or 744 types.

Kapitan

splutter_puff_bang
15th Jul 2007, 09:42
If there are any Kiwi's commuting with KAL would they be kind enough to PM me? Many thanks.

serious flyer
1st Aug 2007, 16:02
It is no non type-rated job, as long as you will have to get it on a Training Facility by yourself to get the job.
You can apply without the type-rating, but you only join the company with it.:bored:
SF

CAPTDOUG
23rd Nov 2007, 19:12
[email protected]

James Rye

He has been my contact at CCL He seems very professional. I have never had a reture E mail from the above address.

ringer
23rd Nov 2007, 20:37
is asiana ever going to do expat first officer?????

Capt.Bee
24th Nov 2007, 01:01
Ringer, take my advice seriously PLEASE! Never ever even consider going to Korea as a F/O. You will be done for the aviation business pretty soon after. Subservience is not for everyone.

andydd
26th Mar 2008, 15:55
try Sandra Kelly at Direct Personnel @ [email protected] they also have the contract with improved T&C:cool:
Good Luck

jetjockee
27th Mar 2008, 02:33
I'm considering applying for KAL, However I have one concern, I have not updated my log book for 4 years so I have no way of verifying my time...
Anyone have insight on how to handle this?

ramiyns
27th Mar 2008, 07:57
Hello everyone.

I applied to Korean Air,but I was not shortlisted yet for interview.
Saying that there are too many applicants.I am trying again.

But, one thing I am not suer of, That is the Korean Tax ,How much actually the Tax Payed by Korean Air on behalf of the pilot,and do they provide a letter stating the amount of tax being payed.

Thanx

jetjockee
27th Mar 2008, 08:34
Ramiyns, What equipment did you apply for that their are to many applicants?

andydd
27th Mar 2008, 10:10
Tax on the KAl contract in paid by Direct Personnel FYI, it's about 100usd a month could go up to 150 but not much more than that!

andydd
27th Mar 2008, 10:13
Keep trying they take the top 20 pilots based on hours so try and try again!!!

ramiyns
29th Mar 2008, 04:05
I am applying for A330

ORD767
11th Apr 2008, 22:50
Just got the package from DPI for the KAL 777 Captain position for someone with no type. Does anyone really sign up for this offer? Seems the compensation is quite low and benefits non-existent, few days off. Or am I wrong to compare it to a major U.S. carrier? And they require a full 3 weeks GS and 2 weeks Sim even thought you've just bought your rating, why don't they just do the rating ride/oral themselves and be done with it and send you the bill or make you sign a bond? As it is, if you buy your rating they hit you for $15,000 if you quit before the first year.
Do other contractors offer better deals?
By the way, the ANA 767 Captain payscales I've seen look pretty pitiful, too.

B777300ER
26th Apr 2008, 19:05
ORD767,

I hope you're a 12 or 12+ year captain at ABX, Fedex, or UPS to say the ANA 767 CA pay is pitiful. The ANA 767 CA "base pay" for the cargo division averages around $190/hr. for the 5-year term. It's still higher than UA, NW, DL, CO, US, and AA's 12th year 767/widebody base pay per hour. Have you seen the current payscales at the majors; maybe including yours? Now that's pitiful - your unions and top 10 - 15% of the pilots selling out the more junior guys. And what benefits? Do you still have your "so-called" retirements? Maybe some travel benefits you can't get on anyway because the flights are always oversold. And everyone's envious about Fedex and UPS pay. Don't you remember? FO's at majors made more than the current CA pay at Fedex and UPS before you guys were sold out by your supposed "leaders." Hmm...

bjlurzjet
31st Jul 2008, 07:51
Haven't seen any posts here in a few months, but I have a screening with Asiana for a Captain A320 position. Anybody currently flying for Asiana or who has interviewed could you please PM me? Thanks for any info out there.

Brian