PDA

View Full Version : non SA citizen flying for SAA ?

hornet
20th Nov 2001, 15:07
I heard that a citizenship is a prerequisite at SAA for employment. Any non-native Pilots out here who can comment that ?
Also: is there a web address for applictation forms or do i just have to use regular mail ?
thanx !

TMS
20th Nov 2001, 17:08
Your assumption is correct....
Marry a south african chick and then apply..

The Guvnor
20th Nov 2001, 18:01
... but be advised to steer well clear of boeremeisies - mine was a complete psycho! :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

wisdom
20th Nov 2001, 18:37
Its amazing about South Africans especially white pilots who think the domain of flying aircraft in South Africa is only for them.Should I marry a white south african woman to ensure I get the job in South Africa Airways as this particular profession is white dominated. Most white South African pilots still have a low opinion of their counterparts with color from neighbour countries :D

The General
20th Nov 2001, 19:06
Hey nkama
the first one to mention colour was YOU!!!!
Have you got an inferiority complex or just a chip on your shoulder.
Get a life......this is 2001

putco
20th Nov 2001, 20:18
Nkama

Of my commercial life I have spent 95% of it in 37 African nations, well awayfrom the domain of a "White South African Pilot"

Seems you are a well balanced chap - a chip on both shoulders!

Have a lovely day in spite of yourself.... :D

The Claw
20th Nov 2001, 20:57
Nkama

Take it that you didn't succeed at the interview then? Must be the fault of apartheid.....

Shame on you.

:eek:

The Guvnor
21st Nov 2001, 13:49
Hey, Nkama - want to repeat that comment to my mate Tokyo Sexwale? :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

Like Putco I've spent most of my life zipping around various parts of Africa. Yes, there are a lot of black pilots whose flying skills stimk - because they used their family or financial influence to get their jobs rather than proper training. On the other hand, that also applies to some white South African pilots.

The best FE I ever had was a Nigerian we poached from Okada. Sharp as a surgical razor that bloke - and boy, could he party! :cool: :eek: :cool:

And finally all of the manyapas enjoyed by my crews were of the indigenous variety - no racism there!

So please, take your racist language and apartheid baggage and voetsak, my bru!

B Sousa
21st Nov 2001, 14:14
Sounds like you got one of them rising stars on this thread. I wonder if this is the dude who tweaked the SAP STOL fixed wing, or killed the engines in the Beechjet.
Some great stories out there. Anyway, the guy by his ignorance, has sent a red flag to his fellow Pilots, as if they dont know already.

The Guvnor
21st Nov 2001, 20:58
If his profile is accurate, he flies (or flew) 737-200s and -300s.

Sounds like he's from somewhere like Air Malawi or LAM and couldn't get a job at Airways! :D :eek: :D

A mate of mine - formerly a Major at Langebaanweg - told me about one of the members of the 'MK Airforce' that was integrated into the SAAF.

"Oh yes", says he, "I used to fly the Mig 29 and we shot down lots of South African aircraft with them." This of course immediately identified the bloke as a BS artist, but my mate set him up in one of the Impalas and ran through the checks.

"Hey" said the fearless freedom fighter, when told to get it started up; "You didn't give me the ignition key!"

I understand this bloke is now a Colonel in the SAAF! :eek: :rolleyes:

On the subject of other returned 'freedom fighters' remember the former SAA deputy CEO whose sole aviation experience (which obviously qualified him for that august post) was as a 727 FE with Ethiopian Airlines? :eek: :rolleyes:

ZambAero
21st Nov 2001, 21:19
Hey Guv,
Remember some other guys who have claimed to have purchased Nigerian ALTP's, claimed to have captained DC8's and B707's, claimed to have Burundi ALTP's, claimed to own African prop-liners, claimed to have run airlines in Africa, claimed to hold Masters degrees, ... ?
:D :D :D

The Claw
22nd Nov 2001, 00:03
Guv,

I doubt that nkama is Air Malawi stock, he wouldn't make the grade. He is probably one of the political appointee's from Aero Zambia who is now looking for a job.

The Guvnor
22nd Nov 2001, 00:17
The Claw - I suspect you're right; did Aero Zambia have -300s though? Perhaps he should ask Dave T to give him another job then! :D :D :D

The General
22nd Nov 2001, 14:47
nkama is noticable for his silence now.
Maybe he is too busy test flying the A3XX or sending out more Cv's

south coast
22nd Nov 2001, 18:42
i thought nkama was that eastern thing when you did smoething bad it came round and bit you on the arse twice as bad.....seems like his arse is being bitten.....but, nkama...keep it up, keeps us all smiling!!!

4HolerPoler
22nd Nov 2001, 21:01
I think Hornet's question has been fully answered on this and other threads:

* You do need SA citizenship to appply for SAA.

*There is no specific web address for applications.

* There is a current freeze on hiring but there is nothing stopping you in applying to:

The Human Resource Manager
Flight Operations
South African Airways
Johannesburg International Airport
Gauteng
South Africa

and I'm sure it will get to it's intended destination.

I don't, for a moment, profess to know a lot on this subject and if there is any inconsistency on the matter please post another thread but let's put this one to bed before it degenerates any further.